MattStan

Default Using a magimix to knead bread dough.

Hi,

I want to make some chappatis (Indian flat bread made with chappati flour
which is a blend of wheat and malted barley flours) and think I can use my
Magimix to knead the dough (though I've never used the kneading attachment
before), I also have a bread maker so don't do kneading when making bread.

2 questions.

1. Can I use the magimix to do the kneading and, if so, how do the timings
compare to kneading by hand, IE. if the recipe says knead for 5 mins how
long will the magimix take?

2. Can I use the bread maker to just knead and if so what setting do I use,
basic bread dough?

Thanks,

...matthew

graham

"MattStan" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I want to make some chappatis (Indian flat bread made with chappati flour
> which is a blend of wheat and malted barley flours) and think I can use my
> Magimix to knead the dough (though I've never used the kneading attachment
> before), I also have a bread maker so don't do kneading when making bread.
>
> 2 questions.
>
> 1. Can I use the magimix to do the kneading and, if so, how do the timings
> compare to kneading by hand, IE. if the recipe says knead for 5 mins how
> long will the magimix take?
>
> 2. Can I use the bread maker to just knead and if so what setting do I

use,
> basic bread dough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ..matthew

I used to use my Cuisinart food processor to make bread dough using the
plastic dough blade. FPs are very fast and efficient for smaller quantities
of dough but they heat it very quickly so you must not knead it too long.

Put the dry ingredients in the bowl and with the motor running, pour in the
water in a steady stream ( a cup should take about 45 secs). When the dough
comes together, carry on kneading for about one minute. If you don't want
the gluten to develop too much, stop the machine as soon as the water is
absorbed.
HTH
Graham

kalanamak

MattStan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to make some chappatis (Indian flat bread made with chappati flour
> which is a blend of wheat and malted barley flours) and think I can use my
> Magimix to knead the dough (though I've never used the kneading attachment
> before), I also have a bread maker so don't do kneading when making bread.

Do you make chapatis by hand? One, I don't knead for 5 minutes, or it gets too
chewy. Two, if you do make them by hand, use the kneading machine to get the
same texture you get after you knead it by hand. Since my chapati flour is soft
WW with the bran out, gluten development is not the goal of chapati dough.
HTH
blacksalt

> 2 questions.
>
> 1. Can I use the magimix to do the kneading and, if so, how do the timings
> compare to kneading by hand, IE. if the recipe says knead for 5 mins how
> long will the magimix take?
>
> 2. Can I use the bread maker to just knead and if so what setting do I use,
> basic bread dough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ..matthew

MattStan

> I used to use my Cuisinart food processor to make bread dough using the
> plastic dough blade. FPs are very fast and efficient for smaller quantities
> of dough but they heat it very quickly so you must not knead it too long.
>
> Put the dry ingredients in the bowl and with the motor running, pour in the
> water in a steady stream ( a cup should take about 45 secs). When the dough
> comes together, carry on kneading for about one minute. If you don't want
> the gluten to develop too much, stop the machine as soon as the water is

Thanks Graham.

...matthew

MattStan

> Do you make chapatis by hand? One, I don't knead for 5 minutes, or it gets too
> chewy. Two, if you do make them by hand, use the kneading machine to get the
> same texture you get after you knead it by hand. Since my chapati flour is soft
> WW with the bran out, gluten development is not the goal of chapati dough.
> HTH

Thanks Blacksalt.

I've never made any before. I guess avoiding too much gluten is the key
then. I'll make them by hand this time and experiment with the machine
later. Since gluten development is not the 'name of the game' the bread
machine is out.

Cheers,

...matthew