Posted to rec.food.baking

Default electric versus gas ovens?

I am moving from a house with a gas oven to a house that has an
electric oven (normal, not convection). Is this going to require a big
change of baking technique? I bake mostly european style artisan
breads.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think the gas vs. electric
difference wouldn't make much difference unless you do a lot of fiddling
with the baking temp while baking. Both gas and electric are basically
heat sources, although there is a bit of a lag time with most electric
vs. gas in getting up to full heat output.

I would think a bigger difference will be the relative accuracy of the
thermostats in the two ovens, and their construction; i.e., how or if
they're vented, how well they're insulated, how well the doors seal,
etc. Moisture in the oven plays a significant role in bread baking
results in my experience, so if one oven retains or vents more or less
steam than the other, your results could change, given all else being
equal. Time will tell...

Bob
======================
In article . com>,
says...
> I am moving from a house with a gas oven to a house that has an
> electric oven (normal, not convection). Is this going to require a big
> change of baking technique? I bake mostly european style artisan
> breads.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:57:24 -0500, yetanotherBob >
wrote:

>I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think the gas vs. electric
>difference wouldn't make much difference unless you do a lot of fiddling
>with the baking temp while baking. Both gas and electric are basically
>heat sources, although there is a bit of a lag time with most electric
>vs. gas in getting up to full heat output.

Gas also emits moisture as a by-product of combustion. If any of that moisture
makes it into the oven, baking could be affected dramatically.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.baking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I am moving from a house with a gas oven to a house that has an
> electric oven (normal, not convection). Is this going to require a big
> change of baking technique? I bake mostly european style artisan
> breads.

It depends on the oven. Both can do a good job or a horrible job depending
on their design and proper function. On major difference is that with gas
ovens the source of heat, the gas flame is not in the oven chamber therefore
radiant energy from the flame will generally not affect the baking. In
electric ovens with red hot elements near the food, the direct radiation can
cook much faster, and even toast or burn, than the indicated temperature
would suggest. There are tricks around this like shielding the elements with
a cookie sheet and being sure the oven is properly pre-heated before using.
But, baking in a poorly designed oven can be a nightmare. You'll have to
test to see how the new oven performs.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:32:04 GMT, "Bob Eld" > wrote:

>>It depends on the oven. Both can do a good job or a horrible job depending

>on their design and proper function. On major difference is that with gas
>ovens the source of heat, the gas flame is not in the oven chamber therefore
>radiant energy from the flame will generally not affect the baking. In
>electric ovens with red hot elements near the food, the direct radiation can
>cook much faster, and even toast or burn, than the indicated temperature
>would suggest.

Many electric ovens don't have exposed oven-heating elements, except for the
broiling elements. My current GE Profile is one.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

I use my large pizza stone on the bottom rack to disperse the heat
evenly. It does a great job of cooking the food in the front and back
the same without turning cookie sheets or muffin tins.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Brewer2326 wrote:
> I use my large pizza stone on the bottom rack to disperse the heat
> evenly. It does a great job of cooking the food in the front and back
> the same without turning cookie sheets or muffin tins.

Nice tip. Thanks. I think I will use that one. -G