Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pizza Dough Questions

There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest for
40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I read in
a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by microwaving
the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or whatever the time
was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough in a microwave?

Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better to
shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be better to
freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:08:20 -0700
"Frank103" > wrote:

> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to
> rest for 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while
> back I read in a microwave cookbook that the rising could be
> accomplished by microwaving the dough in a bowl at power level one
> for 15 minutes, or whatever the time was. Has anyone ever tried
> rising any kind of dough in a microwave?

Uh . . . . lets not. Keep the microwave completely out of it.

If you want to speed-proof your dough, warm up the oven to 200
degrees or so, turn it off, cover the dough, and put the bowl in the
warm oven.

> Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better
> to shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be
> better to freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks. Frank

After the first rise is my preference.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest for
> 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I read in
> a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by microwaving
> the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or whatever the time
> was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough in a microwave?

When they say power level one they mean 1% power. Most microwaves I've
seen these days have their power levels in increments of 10. So the
lowest power setting would be 10% power. I still have the microwave my
parents gave me when I went away to college 20 some odd years ago and
you could set it for 1% power for proofing bread dough. The
instructions said to first boil a cup of water in the oven to create
humidity and then place the dough inside the oven, set the oven at 1%
power for ten minutes, and then let it sit inside the oven for 20 more
minutes before checking it. 10% power for 15 minutes is going to kill
the yeast in the dough. You could still use the microwave as a proof
box though. Just boil some water inside the microwave and then hurry
up and place your dough inside before all the humidity escapes.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 17 Sep 2006 02:08:20p, Frank103 meant to say...

> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest
> for 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I
> read in a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by
> microwaving the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or
> whatever the time was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough
> in a microwave?

Accelerating the rise of any yeast dough jeopardizes the flavor
development. There are various ways to do this, but I wouldn't bother.

> Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better to
> shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be better
> to freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
> Frank

I find it best to simply freeze the portion of dough in a plastic bag,
shaping it after it has been thawed.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Was there dust on the mirror before Hui-Neng wiped
it off?

Posted to rec.food.baking

hello...
can you give me a recipe how to make a delicious pizza?

Posted to rec.food.baking

I'll agree with the oven idea for sure but would never recommend it.
Good things come to those who wait. Cooking is elegance not a race.
As for the best time to freeze. I would suggest that you shape your
dough first after your proof. As your dough is coming to room temp from
the freezer it will proof again. Therefore, you will not have the best
dough. It'll turn gummy.
My only advice is things are done in cooking for a reason. Expediting a
natural method of cooking only cause's problems. Just remember the
K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep it simple stupid)

Hope this helps.

Ray
Personal Chef

Frank103 wrote:
> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest for
> 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I read in
> a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by microwaving
> the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or whatever the time
> was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough in a microwave?
>
> Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better to
> shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be better to
> freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'll agree with the oven idea for sure but would never recommend it.
> Good things come to those who wait. Cooking is elegance not a race.
> As for the best time to freeze. I would suggest that you shape your
> dough first after your proof. As your dough is coming to room temp from
> the freezer it will proof again. Therefore, you will not have the best
> dough. It'll turn gummy.
> My only advice is things are done in cooking for a reason. Expediting a
> natural method of cooking only cause's problems. Just remember the
> K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep it simple stupid)

My house is really drafty so I sometimes use the microwave to rise dough.
Never with it turned on of course.

Posted to rec.food.baking

personal chef wrote:

> I'll agree with the oven idea for sure but would never recommend it.

Whatever that means.

> Good things come to those who wait. Cooking is elegance not a race.

What utter, fatuous nonsense. Cooking is merely cooking, not
some philosophical issue. This silly post seems to say that
there's only one way to get to any culinary conclusion, an
idea that's obviously absurd. Cooking is craft and technique.

The subject is proofing time. There are different kinds of
yeasts available that process at different speeds. There are
different temperatures for proofing that proceed at
different speeds. There are different flours that proceed at
different speeds. Looking at the possible permutations,
there's a wide range of times and techniques to get that
dough done.

> As for the best time to freeze. I would suggest that you shape your
> dough first after your proof. As your dough is coming to room temp from
> the freezer it will proof again. Therefore, you will not have the best
> dough. It'll turn gummy.

Nonsense again. Frozen bread doughs are standard commodities
for both professional and domestic kitchens. If your dough
is gummy, you're not handling it well. We used some frozen
doughs in all my restaurants.

There are three choices in freezing pizza dough exclusive of
toppings. Freeze it as a lump of raw dough. Freeze it as a
shaped piece of raw dough. Shape it, bake it and freeze it.
All three approaches work just fine. They just allocate the
time differently. Raw dough needs to thaw, be shaped and
finish-proofed before topping; a couple hours before pizza
hits the table. Shaped raw dough needs to thaw, be pressed
to shape and finished; an hour to table time. The baked
dough needs to be topped and be finish-baked; 15 minutes to
table time.

The best way is the one that fits into your style and needs.

> My only advice is things are done in cooking for a reason. Expediting a
> natural method of cooking only cause's problems.

Jayzus, do the empty pronouncements never cease...?

Again with the "only one way to do it" foolishness. Sounds
like there's no room for food science in this viewpoint.
"Expediting a natural method of cooking" is precisely what
technology is about. So I guess I need to build a fire in my
back yard every mealtime.

> Just remember the K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep it simple stupid)

There's a big difference between simple and simplistic.

> Hope this helps.

Right.

> Ray
> Personal Chef

Pastorio
A real chef.

> Frank103 wrote:
>> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest for
>> 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I read in
>> a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by microwaving
>> the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or whatever the time
>> was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough in a microwave?
>>
>> Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better to
>> shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be better to
>> freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

Most pizzerias use a retarded dough formulation, a formula with only 0.25%
to 0.5% yeast which is allowed to slowly ferment in a cooler for 24-72
hours. The slow ferment improves the texture of the finished skin and
allows flavors to develop. It is also good for dough management and
reduction of waste. Raising the dough quickly may give you the "puff" of a
good dough, but not the flavor.

LabRat

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'll agree with the oven idea for sure but would never recommend it.
> Good things come to those who wait. Cooking is elegance not a race.
> As for the best time to freeze. I would suggest that you shape your
> dough first after your proof. As your dough is coming to room temp from
> the freezer it will proof again. Therefore, you will not have the best
> dough. It'll turn gummy.
> My only advice is things are done in cooking for a reason. Expediting a
> natural method of cooking only cause's problems. Just remember the
> K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep it simple stupid)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ray
> Personal Chef
>

> Frank103 wrote:
>> There comes a time in the pizza dough process when the dough has to rest
>> for
>> 40 minutes or so in a warm place and double in size. A while back I read
>> in
>> a microwave cookbook that the rising could be accomplished by microwaving
>> the dough in a bowl at power level one for 15 minutes, or whatever the
>> time
>> was. Has anyone ever tried rising any kind of dough in a microwave?
>>
>> Also, when is the best time to freeze pizza dough? Would it be better to
>> shape the dough and freeze it before it's baked; or would it be better to
>> freeze the dough after it's baked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

"LabRat" > wrote in message
> Most pizzerias use a retarded dough formulation, a formula with only 0.25%
> to 0.5% yeast which is allowed to slowly ferment in a cooler for 24-72
> hours. The slow ferment improves the texture of the finished skin and
> allows flavors to develop. It is also good for dough management and
> reduction of waste. Raising the dough quickly may give you the "puff" of
> a good dough, but not the flavor.
>
> LabRat

Once you've used a preferment or starter, like poolish, biga, etc. you won't
do it any other way. If I know I'm going to make pizza that night, or the
night before I mix 1/4-1/2 tsp yeast with one cup flour and one cup water
and let it rise all day or all night, at which time the starter will have
risen and fallen back on itself. When you are ready to make the dough, I add
two cups flour, 1/4 cup water or milk, 2TB olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2
tsp. yeast. I know this is somewhat primitive, but it does begin to give off
some of the flavor of a long ferment. The starter will last several days in
the refrigerator, and can be frozen.

Kent