Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Anybody use a dough relaxer?

I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with. Anybody use this
and is it worth spending money on? I have never seen it on supermarket
shelves so I guess it's a specialty item. Thanks in advance.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:

> I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
> says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
> to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with. Anybody use this
> and is it worth spending money on? I have never seen it on supermarket
> shelves so I guess it's a specialty item. Thanks in advance.

Dough relaxer is a solution looking for a problem, IMO. I never
find dough hard to work with, especially pizza dough. If I need
it to relax I put it down for a few minutes.

I'd go ahead with the recipe and just leave that stuff out.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:33:34 -0700, "Frank103" >
wrote:

>I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
>says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
>to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with. Anybody use this
>and is it worth spending money on? I have never seen it on supermarket
>shelves so I guess it's a specialty item. Thanks in advance.
>Frank

I got some and it works fine. When I'm making pizza and I want a
real good stretch without the spingback affect. I also like king
arthur flour. In fact they have alot of things that I like. The only
thing I don't like is the shipping charge to hawaii. Get there
catalog and if you can find there flour give it a try. I have also
found the baking book to be one of the finnest. OK one of my top 5
books on baking. Quality products that they stand behind. Great
service and friendly knowledgable people.
And I'm the asshole that puts everybody to the test . Especially if
they start to get stupied over the phone. These folks Shine every
time.
Go for it.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
> says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
> to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with.. Frank

I read on a board somewhere that dough relaxer was a mild acid. You
could try a small amount of fruit fresh to see if it helps.

Note: One effect of adding a little acid to a yeast dough is that it
will rise more quickly.

Posted to rec.food.baking

BobbiJo_AZ wrote:
> Frank103 wrote:
>
>>I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
>>says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
>>to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with.. Frank

> I read on a board somewhere that dough relaxer was a mild acid. You
> could try a small amount of fruit fresh to see if it helps.
>
> Note: One effect of adding a little acid to a yeast dough is that it
> will rise more quickly.

The page for "laura brody's bread relaxer" says "The Dough Relaxer is
made from all natural ingredients: high heat process non-fat dry milk,
diastatic malt, natural sours and baking powder. This unique combination
of ingredients naturally tenderizes and relaxes the dough, with the
non-fat milk also delivering a calcium boost."

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Posted to rec.food.baking

try Hodgsonmills.com. They have something called Vital wheat gluten with
vtamin C.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I've used Laura Brody's bread relaxer with great success. I've only used it
in Pizza dough. I've never found letting it "rest" a solution for getting
it to stretch out the way I want without having to fight it. I want pizza
not a fight and when I'm letting the kids do the work it's more encouraging
for them too if it stretches easily.

Lynne

"Frank103" > wrote in message
newscZOg.12429$JR5.7551@dukeread11...
>I was looking at a recipe for pizza dough in the King Arthur book and it
>says to use, I think it was, 2 teasoons of dough relaxer, which is supposed
>to relax the gluten and make the dough easier to work with. Anybody use
>this and is it worth spending money on? I have never seen it on supermarket
>shelves so I guess it's a specialty item. Thanks in advance.
> Frank

Does this dough look right to you? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 49 29-05-2014 10:10 PM
I Need Dough Catfood Chef General Cooking 1 24-05-2011 12:59 AM
Batter vs. Dough At what point does a batter become a dough or does a dough become a batter? Richard Hollenbeck Baking 3 15-12-2006 12:31 AM
Dough rot WRK Sourdough 44 06-10-2006 02:12 PM
I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a half inch thick to two Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 11:15 AM