ggull

Default Bunge Prickly Ash?

I recently got a package of something that looks a lot like what I recall of
Szechuan Peppercorns (haven't used any in many years). Only difference is
they have a slightly reddish tinge, which I don't remember. But it's
labelled "Bunge Prickly Ash", "place of origin: Shan Dong." At least some
of the 'corns have that numbing/tingling effect, though some don't seem to.

A fair amount of googling didn't turn up an actual answer to the question,
"are Szechuan Peppercorns and Bunge Prickly Ash the same thing?" so I throw
myself on the mercy of the knowledgeable folk here.

Ken Blake

In

> A fair amount of googling didn't turn up an actual answer to
> the
> question, "are Szechuan Peppercorns and Bunge Prickly Ash the
> same
> thing?" so I throw myself on the mercy of the knowledgeable
> folk
> here.

I never heard of "Bunge Prickly Ash" before, but Google quickly
found the following site
http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversio...29130-150.html
which seems to say they are the same, Zanthoxylum bungeanum.

Also see he
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Zant_pip.html

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In

> A fair amount of googling didn't turn up an actual answer to
> the
> question, "are Szechuan Peppercorns and Bunge Prickly Ash the
> same
> thing?" so I throw myself on the mercy of the knowledgeable
> folk
> here.

I never heard of "Bunge Prickly Ash" before, but Google quickly
found the following site
http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversio...29130-150.html
which seems to say they are the same, Zanthoxylum bungeanum.

Also see he
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Zant_pip.html

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Wazza

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In
>
> > A fair amount of googling didn't turn up an actual answer to
> > the
> > question, "are Szechuan Peppercorns and Bunge Prickly Ash the
> > same
> > thing?" so I throw myself on the mercy of the knowledgeable
> > folk
> > here.

I know szchechuan pepper corns as xyloxanthum piperitum, or (yellow wood (or
tree) pepper). These are the pinkish seedcorns used in Chinese five spice.
They are related to similar found in Indian, Nepal and Japan (sansho). If
using as a spice, make sure you remove the bitter black seed, which is
gritty and bitter.
cheers
Wazza

Wazza

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In
>
> > A fair amount of googling didn't turn up an actual answer to
> > the
> > question, "are Szechuan Peppercorns and Bunge Prickly Ash the
> > same
> > thing?" so I throw myself on the mercy of the knowledgeable
> > folk
> > here.

I know szchechuan pepper corns as xyloxanthum piperitum, or (yellow wood (or
tree) pepper). These are the pinkish seedcorns used in Chinese five spice.
They are related to similar found in Indian, Nepal and Japan (sansho). If
using as a spice, make sure you remove the bitter black seed, which is
gritty and bitter.
cheers
Wazza

ggull

"Ken Blake" > wrote

> I never heard of "Bunge Prickly Ash" before, but Google quickly
> found the following site
> http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversio...29130-150.html
> which seems to say they are the same, Zanthoxylum bungeanum.

Yes, I had seen that discussion and noted that a reference or two had at
least implicitly made the equation. But then another quote is provided that
"szechuan peppercorn" is Z. piperitum, and another that it is Z. simulans
synonymous to Z. bungei. It seems confusing :-)

> Also see he

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Zant_pip.html

This is an interesting reference, and increases the confusion ... several
related plants from the region (as Wazaa points out in his followup), with
similar traits spicewise.

For what it's worth, the "Bunge Prickly Ash" I got is somewhat less red than
the picture on the upper right at this site, labelled "Z. piperitum (or Z
simulans?) Chinese sichuan pepper", though closer to that than any of the
others shown.

Well, I guess I'll just have to try a few recipes, maybe make some 5 spice
powder.

Prickly Pear Jelly Mary Filmore Recipes (moderated) 0 05-06-2008 03:19 AM
Bunge Prickly Ash? ggull Asian Cooking 0 27-03-2005 05:45 AM
prickly merlot? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 2 28-12-2003 04:39 AM
How to use prickly pears? Douglas S. Ladden Mexican Cooking 0 04-10-2003 08:35 AM