Rick Vanderwal

Default prickly merlot?

I still have a batch of merlot that I emptied out of bottles and put back
into a 3 gallon carboy because one bottle popped its cork, and other bottles
I opened I discovered a fizzy, prickly Merlot....
I had it in the 3 gallon carboy perhaps 2 months or so, hoping it would fizz
out by now, under an airlock...
But when I went to taste and try it today...still fizzy, still prickly
tasting.
what do you think is happening?
still fermenting? I thought at one point it had already been finished.
ML fermentation?
The merlot tastes good (from a juice from Ontario I bought)...
just....can't bottle it again/yet...

Any ideas of how to treat it?
Thanks.
Rick

Tom S

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> I still have a batch of merlot that I emptied out of bottles and put back
> into a 3 gallon carboy because one bottle popped its cork, and other

bottles
> I opened I discovered a fizzy, prickly Merlot....

Ah, yes. You've discovered that the cure for stuck fermentation or
incomplete ML is _bottling_. >:^/

My theory is that the little shot of oxygen the wine gets during bottling is
just enough to wake up that which had been lying dormant.

Tom S

Rob

If we assume it's CO2, either left over from ML or otherwise dissolved
in the wine, you've got the same problem as if you wanted to
flatten/de-fizz a bottle of cola. Shaking is not good for the wine,
though, so you need another way.

The inner surface of the carboy is likely too smooth to have spots
where the bubbles can form, but if you put some inert material with
texture in the carboy, so that the fizziness has a spot to become
bubbles, it might de-gas itself over time. Maybe a stir-stick, or a
plastic rod that's been lightly sanded (and cleaned really well).
You'll have to do it in such a way as to be able to retrieve it later.
Perhaps a fining agent, like bentonite might work as well.

You could also warm up the wine, though to get enough help for the
fizziness, you might end up cooking the wine first. A rough racking
would de-bubble it as well, though I wouldn't recommend it at this
point if you're hoping for a drinkable wine. :-)

Anyone else?

Rob

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message >...
> I still have a batch of merlot that I emptied out of bottles and put back
> into a 3 gallon carboy because one bottle popped its cork, and other bottles
> I opened I discovered a fizzy, prickly Merlot....
> I had it in the 3 gallon carboy perhaps 2 months or so, hoping it would fizz
> out by now, under an airlock...
> But when I went to taste and try it today...still fizzy, still prickly
> tasting.
> what do you think is happening?
> still fermenting? I thought at one point it had already been finished.
> ML fermentation?
> The merlot tastes good (from a juice from Ontario I bought)...
> just....can't bottle it again/yet...
>
> Any ideas of how to treat it?
> Thanks.
> Rick

Prickly Pear Margarita? Christine Dabney General Cooking 18 07-08-2007 06:32 PM
Bunge Prickly Ash? ggull Asian Cooking 5 29-03-2005 03:32 PM
Bunge Prickly Ash? ggull Asian Cooking 0 27-03-2005 05:45 AM
How to use prickly pears? Douglas S. Ladden Mexican Cooking 0 04-10-2003 08:35 AM