Peter Dy

Default Kewra or pandan essence

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in the
> US?
> Or fresh pandan leaves?

You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of which
are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't hard to
find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma Loha-Unchit says is very
good (I haven't been there in a long time and they've since moved down the
street, maybe expanded?) that certainly should have the essence if not fresh
leaves. There's also a Thai market in Oakland--Sontepheap. See link below
for addresses. Are you new to the area or something?

Peter

PS. Got your email.

> I just made an Indonesian dish that required pandan, and all we had were
> some frozen pandan, which just didn't have that heavenly smell.
>

> Also, can you buy fresh calamansi limes in the U.S.? I find the limes from
> the grocery store are not sour enough.
>
> Thanks,
>
> sq

Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in the
> US?
> Or fresh pandan leaves?

You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of which
are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't hard to
find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma Loha-Unchit says is very
good (I haven't been there in a long time and they've since moved down the
street, maybe expanded?) that certainly should have the essence if not fresh
leaves. There's also a Thai market in Oakland--Sontepheap. See link below
for addresses. Are you new to the area or something?

Peter

PS. Got your email.

> I just made an Indonesian dish that required pandan, and all we had were
> some frozen pandan, which just didn't have that heavenly smell.
>

> Also, can you buy fresh calamansi limes in the U.S.? I find the limes from
> the grocery store are not sour enough.
>
> Thanks,
>
> sq

Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
om...

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>
>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in the
>> US?
>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of which
> are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't hard to
> find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma Loha-Unchit says is
> very good (I haven't been there in a long time and they've since moved
> down the street, maybe expanded?) that certainly should have the essence
> if not fresh leaves.

Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

Peter

Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
om...

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>
>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in the
>> US?
>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of which
> are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't hard to
> find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma Loha-Unchit says is
> very good (I haven't been there in a long time and they've since moved
> down the street, maybe expanded?) that certainly should have the essence
> if not fresh leaves.

Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

Peter

mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
om:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in
>> the US?
>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of
> which are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't
> hard to find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma
> Loha-Unchit says is very good (I haven't been there in a long time and
> they've since moved down the street, maybe expanded?) that certainly
> should have the essence if not fresh leaves.

I usually shop at the Berkeley Bowl, and have never found pandan leaves
or essence there. In one of the grocery stores in Oakland's Chinatown, I
found some "pandan essence" - it was bright viridian, and smelled awful.
I tossed it out.

> There's also a Thai
> market in Oakland--Sontepheap. See link below for addresses. Are you
> new to the area or something?

Gads, no. I've lived here for over 20 years. I know where to buy blachan
and the fatty pork belly and stuff, but I have *never* been able to find
fresh pandan.

You think there's a prayer the Thai store will also have calamansi and
daun limau perut?

sq

mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
om:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in
>> the US?
>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of
> which are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't
> hard to find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma
> Loha-Unchit says is very good (I haven't been there in a long time and
> they've since moved down the street, maybe expanded?) that certainly
> should have the essence if not fresh leaves.

I usually shop at the Berkeley Bowl, and have never found pandan leaves
or essence there. In one of the grocery stores in Oakland's Chinatown, I
found some "pandan essence" - it was bright viridian, and smelled awful.
I tossed it out.

> There's also a Thai
> market in Oakland--Sontepheap. See link below for addresses. Are you
> new to the area or something?

Gads, no. I've lived here for over 20 years. I know where to buy blachan
and the fatty pork belly and stuff, but I have *never* been able to find
fresh pandan.

You think there's a prayer the Thai store will also have calamansi and
daun limau perut?

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
om:

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in
>>> the US?
>>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

>> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of
>> which are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't
>> hard to find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma
>> Loha-Unchit says is very good (I haven't been there in a long time
>> and they've since moved down the street, maybe expanded?) that
>> certainly should have the essence if not fresh leaves.

> Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

Thanks for the info, I'll go check them out.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
om:

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in
>>> the US?
>>> Or fresh pandan leaves?

>> You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of
>> which are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't
>> hard to find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma
>> Loha-Unchit says is very good (I haven't been there in a long time
>> and they've since moved down the street, maybe expanded?) that
>> certainly should have the essence if not fresh leaves.

> Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

Thanks for the info, I'll go check them out.

sq
kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in
> om:
> > "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> >> Anyone on this NG know where I can buy a kewra or pandan essence in
> >> the US?
> >> Or fresh pandan leaves?

> > You can get the essence at lots of SE Asian markets, the largest of
> > which are usually Vietnamese. On the west coast, fresh leaves aren't
> > hard to find. There's a Thai market in Berkeley that Kasma
> > Loha-Unchit says is very good (I haven't been there in a long time and
> > they've since moved down the street, maybe expanded?) that certainly
> > should have the essence if not fresh leaves.

> I usually shop at the Berkeley Bowl, and have never found pandan leaves
> or essence there. In one of the grocery stores in Oakland's Chinatown, I
> found some "pandan essence" - it was bright viridian, and smelled awful.
> I tossed it out.

I bet you can get screwpine essence at the grocery next to Vik's Chat
house (after stuffing your face on their pani poori, etc). It was there
in 1999 when I was last there.
Oh, how Pugetopolis needs a good chaat house!
blacksalt
mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
@qwest.net:

[huge snip]

> I bet you can get screwpine essence at the grocery next to Vik's Chat
> house (after stuffing your face on their pani poori, etc). It was there
> in 1999 when I was last there.

I was there just last weekend, buying kala jira, kala nimak, and the
wherewithal for making chole bhatore. I'll go back this weekend and look
for pandan essence, and also visit the stores Peter Dy recommended and
see if I can find fresh leaves.

> Oh, how Pugetopolis needs a good chaat house!

My god, there's no end of chaat houses here, it's getting almost
annoying. How to taste all their pani puris and bhel puris and sev
without turning into a monument to obesity?

I remember when one had to fly to Mumbai to get a decent chaat.

Or bribe the ex's mother into making it.

Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
methi at the store these days.

sq

mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
@qwest.net:

[huge snip]

> I bet you can get screwpine essence at the grocery next to Vik's Chat
> house (after stuffing your face on their pani poori, etc). It was there
> in 1999 when I was last there.

I was there just last weekend, buying kala jira, kala nimak, and the
wherewithal for making chole bhatore. I'll go back this weekend and look
for pandan essence, and also visit the stores Peter Dy recommended and
see if I can find fresh leaves.

> Oh, how Pugetopolis needs a good chaat house!

My god, there's no end of chaat houses here, it's getting almost
annoying. How to taste all their pani puris and bhel puris and sev
without turning into a monument to obesity?

I remember when one had to fly to Mumbai to get a decent chaat.

Or bribe the ex's mother into making it.

Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
methi at the store these days.

sq

Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
om...
See link below
> for addresses.

Ok, I got almost no sleep last night, so that's why this morning's post was
so messed up. Here is the link:

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/markets.html

Peter

Jeffrey Lichtman

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>>Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

> Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
> drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

It's just west of Sacramento Street on the north side of University.
--
- Jeff Lichtman
Author, Baseball for Rookies

Jeffrey Lichtman

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>>Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

> Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
> drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

It's just west of Sacramento Street on the north side of University.
--
- Jeff Lichtman
Author, Baseball for Rookies
http://baseball-for-rookies.com/

Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
[...]
> You think there's a prayer the Thai store will also have calamansi and
> daun limau perut?

I've never seen kalamansi/calamansi in the States, alas... I'm too tired to
look up the latter--what is it?

Peter

mroo philpott-smythe

Jeffrey Lichtman > wrote in
:
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>>>Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

>> Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
>> drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

> It's just west of Sacramento Street on the north side of University.

Thanks, I think I'll go there today.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

Jeffrey Lichtman > wrote in
:
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>>>Forgot the name--Erawan Market on University Ave.

>> Hmm, that's new to me. University's such a pit these days, even when I
>> drive it, I don't look around. Must be up close to campus?

> It's just west of Sacramento Street on the north side of University.

Thanks, I think I'll go there today.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
. com:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> You think there's a prayer the Thai store will also have calamansi
>> and daun limau perut?

> I've never seen kalamansi/calamansi in the States, alas... I'm too
> tired to look up the latter--what is it?

I think it's the same as kaffir lime leaf. It smells the same, although the
one I used to get at home was smaller and darker green.

So how come the limes here are so *not sour*? The ones they give you with
Hokkien Mee in Singapore will make your toes curl from five feet away.

I have to double the limes here to get the same sourness, and then the
fragrance of the lime gets a bit much.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
. com:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> You think there's a prayer the Thai store will also have calamansi
>> and daun limau perut?

> I've never seen kalamansi/calamansi in the States, alas... I'm too
> tired to look up the latter--what is it?

I think it's the same as kaffir lime leaf. It smells the same, although the
one I used to get at home was smaller and darker green.

So how come the limes here are so *not sour*? The ones they give you with
Hokkien Mee in Singapore will make your toes curl from five feet away.

I have to double the limes here to get the same sourness, and then the
fragrance of the lime gets a bit much.

sq
kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
> @qwest.net:
>
> [huge snip]

It wasn't that huge a snip.

> Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
> methi at the store these days.

(((
I have to grown mine.
blacksalt

kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
> @qwest.net:
>
> [huge snip]

It wasn't that huge a snip.

> Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
> methi at the store these days.

(((
I have to grown mine.
blacksalt
mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in :

> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>> kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
>> @qwest.net:

>> Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
>> methi at the store these days.

>(((
> I have to grown mine.

That sucks. I'd send you some, but then it wouldn't be fresh any more.

Maybe I should grow mine, too. Is it a lot of work?

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in :

> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>> kalanamak > wrote in news:41B8C164.70ABEB92
>> @qwest.net:

>> Next weekend, I'm making methi theplas. Thank goodness you can get fresh
>> methi at the store these days.

>(((
> I have to grown mine.

That sucks. I'd send you some, but then it wouldn't be fresh any more.

Maybe I should grow mine, too. Is it a lot of work?

sq
kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Maybe I should grow mine, too. Is it a lot of work?
>
> sq

No, not in the summer in pugetopolis. I just buy some bulk seed at the
local health food store, spread it in the garden and I have so much I
can't use it all.
blacksalt
kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Maybe I should grow mine, too. Is it a lot of work?
>
> sq

No, not in the summer in pugetopolis. I just buy some bulk seed at the
local health food store, spread it in the garden and I have so much I
can't use it all.
blacksalt

mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in :
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

>> Maybe I should grow mine, too. Is it a lot of work?

> No, not in the summer in pugetopolis. I just buy some bulk seed at the
> local health food store, spread it in the garden and I have so much I
> can't use it all.

Maybe you should send it to me!

sq, "planning next year's vege garden"
mroo philpott-smythe

Essence Joseph Barbecue 10 13-04-2008 11:04 PM
Pandan Infused Mango Yogurt Panna Cotta International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-03-2007 01:50 AM
Pandan Infused Mango Yogurt Panna Cotta International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 07-03-2007 12:56 AM
Oak essence, anyone use it? Mark G. Winemaking 40 29-09-2004 10:41 AM
essence Lorin General Cooking 0 18-04-2004 07:19 PM