Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Essence

Guys,

I picked up a 14 lb. boneless pork shoulder cryo-packed
from Costco. It doesn't have much of a fat cap.

Question one: Has anyone ever tried using Emeril's
Essence as a rub?

I am thinking of cutting the shoulder into two 7 lb.
blocks. Then I thought I would rub one with Essence and the
other with CYM, salt, & pepper.

Question Two: With the limited fat and no bone will I
have to baste this baby or can I water pan it without it
drying out?

Putting it on the new CG Duo about 6AM tomorrow using
hickory and lump. I have never made pulled pork so I have
never smoked anything into the 190+ degrees F range. Could
be a learning experience with the new smoker.

Joseph

--
http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ

"Endeavor to Persevere" Outlaw Josey Wales.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 11, 10:07*am, "Joseph" > wrote:
> Guys,
>
> * * *I picked up a 14 lb. boneless pork shoulder cryo-packed
> from Costco. *It doesn't have much of a fat cap.

The fat's inside and all around it. Seems to be packed differenctly
than at our local Costco, ours is typically one package up to twenty
lbs with two pieces of meat inside. Typically they're between 6-9 lbs
each, 6lbs is a bit on the small side IMO, but cooks up pretty fast
and you get more crust/lb. too.

> * * *Question one: *Has anyone ever tried using Emeril's
> Essence as a rub?

Naah, why waste good money? The rub doesn't seem to add much to the
meat IMO. I do add brown sugar to my rub as it seems to help crust
build up and pork+brown sugar is a good combo. But I just throw on
whatever's available, then add some brown sugar.

> * * *I am thinking of cutting the shoulder into two 7 lb.
> blocks. *Then I thought I would rub one with Essence and the
> other with CYM, salt, & pepper.

I bet your cut is already in two pieces.

> * * *Question Two: *With the limited fat and no bone will I
> have to baste this baby or can I water pan it without it
> drying out?

Hell no! That thing is already as fatty and juicy as you could want. I
cook until it's at least 195F just to get it dry enough for my taste.
Hell, lots of times they're 200+., never had any that were too dry,
that's for sure. Came close once when I really let the time get away
from me and pulled it off at 215F or so. But it was still moist.

> * * *Putting it on the new CG Duo about 6AM tomorrow using
> hickory and lump. *I have never made pulled pork so I have
> never smoked anything into the 190+ degrees F range. *Could
> be a learning experience with the new smoker.

Enjoy, and don't be afraid to cook it at 250-300. It's a butt, it can
take the heat.

Don't forget the temps will rise to 160F slowly and then stay there
for a long ass time. Once it unsticks and gets up to 180'ish, it'll
start going up comparatively fast. To render the fat out I really
suggest letting it go past 190. 195-200 seems just right, IMO.

Thinking of doing up some tomorrow as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 10:07=A0am, "Joseph" > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > =A0 =A0 =A0Question one: =A0Has anyone ever tried using Emeril's
> > Essence as a rub?

> Naah, why waste good money? The rub doesn't seem to add much to the
> meat IMO. I do add brown sugar to my rub as it seems to help crust
> build up and pork+brown sugar is a good combo. But I just throw on
> whatever's available, then add some brown sugar. [ . . . ]

Emeril's Essence ?

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons sweet paprika
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons cayenne
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried thyme

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend well.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
On Apr 11, 10:07 am, "Joseph" > wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I picked up a 14 lb. boneless pork shoulder cryo-packed
> from Costco. It doesn't have much of a fat cap.

The fat's inside and all around it. Seems to be packed
differenctly
than at our local Costco, ours is typically one package up
to twenty
lbs with two pieces of meat inside. Typically they're
between 6-9 lbs
each, 6lbs is a bit on the small side IMO, but cooks up
pretty fast
and you get more crust/lb. too.

> Question one: Has anyone ever tried using Emeril's
> Essence as a rub?

Naah, why waste good money? The rub doesn't seem to add much
to the
meat IMO. I do add brown sugar to my rub as it seems to help
crust
build up and pork+brown sugar is a good combo. But I just
throw on
whatever's available, then add some brown sugar.

> I am thinking of cutting the shoulder into two 7 lb.
> blocks. Then I thought I would rub one with Essence and
> the
> other with CYM, salt, & pepper.

I bet your cut is already in two pieces.

> Question Two: With the limited fat and no bone will I
> have to baste this baby or can I water pan it without it
> drying out?

Hell no! That thing is already as fatty and juicy as you
could want. I
cook until it's at least 195F just to get it dry enough for
my taste.
Hell, lots of times they're 200+., never had any that were
too dry,
that's for sure. Came close once when I really let the time
get away
from me and pulled it off at 215F or so. But it was still
moist.

> Putting it on the new CG Duo about 6AM tomorrow using
> hickory and lump. I have never made pulled pork so I have
> never smoked anything into the 190+ degrees F range. Could
> be a learning experience with the new smoker.

Enjoy, and don't be afraid to cook it at 250-300. It's a
butt, it can
take the heat.

Don't forget the temps will rise to 160F slowly and then
stay there
for a long ass time. Once it unsticks and gets up to
180'ish, it'll
start going up comparatively fast. To render the fat out I
really
suggest letting it go past 190. 195-200 seems just right,
IMO.

Thinking of doing up some tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the help and hints, I think your right it does
look like two cuts in the bag... Joseph

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Tutall > wrote:
>> On Apr 11, 10:07=A0am, "Joseph" >
>> wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > =A0 =A0 =A0Question one: =A0Has anyone ever tried using
>> > Emeril's
>> > Essence as a rub?

>> Naah, why waste good money? The rub doesn't seem to add
>> much to the
>> meat IMO. I do add brown sugar to my rub as it seems to
>> help crust
>> build up and pork+brown sugar is a good combo. But I just
>> throw on
>> whatever's available, then add some brown sugar. [ . .
>> . ]

> Emeril's Essence ?
>
> Ingredients:
> 5 tablespoons sweet paprika
> 1/4 cup salt
> 1/4 cup garlic powder
> 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
> 2 tablespoons onion powder
> 2 tablespoons cayenne
> 2 tablespoons dried oregano
> 2 tablespoons dried thyme
>
> Directions:
> Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend
> well.
> Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

I was going through the spice rack and noticed a big
ass bottle of it that's been in the cupboard awhile. Might
be a good use for it, before it gets stale.

Joseph

> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and
> their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish
> American War. They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler > wrote in
news
> I managed to dry one out, the first time I
> used my pit with the sand instead of water; the temp checks I was
> making were, unfortunately, with a very inaccurate probe.

The same thing happen to me. The first firing of the smoker this year. I
checked my probe later and found that it was about 10-15 degrees off. My
ribs turned out a littlr dry, but they were still tasty.

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote
in message
news
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:07:22 -0700, "Joseph"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Putting it on the new CG Duo about 6AM tomorrow using
>>hickory and lump. I have never made pulled pork so I have
>>never smoked anything into the 190+ degrees F range.
>>Could
>>be a learning experience with the new smoker.

> As others said, 190-200 is good with a butt--and they're
> the most
> forgiving thing you can Q. I managed to dry one out, the
> first time I
> used my pit with the sand instead of water; the temp
> checks I was
> making were, unfortunately, with a very inaccurate probe.
> That thing
> must have been 250 inside. Was still tasty, and not as
> dry as you
> might think. The bark on it was way hard though. No
> chopping that
> stuff up.
>
> It takes a lot to screw up a butt or picnic the way I did
> that one.
> You'll do fine, and have some good eatin'!

Thanks, Three hours in and am having a lot of fun
learning to keep a steady temp on the new CG Duo. I was out
early in the dark and that Kingsford lump was going off like
fire crackers. An errant bit of charcoal jumped out and
burnt my damn toe, as I was fool enough to go out
barefoot... &*#^%$

http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ

Surprised to find that the temp at the grate, stack and
hood are all within 1 or 2 degrees of each other. Do you
believe in love at first sight? This could be the beginning
of a long relationship...

Joseph

> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Joseph > wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I picked up a 14 lb. boneless pork shoulder cryo-packed
> from Costco. It doesn't have much of a fat cap.

That you have are two boneless pork butts.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Joseph > wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I picked up a 14 lb. boneless pork shoulder
>> cryo-packed
>> from Costco. It doesn't have much of a fat cap.

> That you have are two boneless pork butts.

You are correct it was two cuts of Boston Butts in one
cryo-pack.

Joseph

--

http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ

Brinkman Charcoal Smoker
CharGriller Duo w/Side Fire Box

> -sw

Pineapple essence Paul O'Grady General Cooking 0 12-10-2008 08:59 PM
Essence Brick[_3_] Barbecue 15 16-04-2008 03:48 PM
Vanilla Essence Peter Preserving 19 04-07-2005 04:20 PM
Oak essence, anyone use it? Mark G. Winemaking 40 29-09-2004 10:41 AM
essence Lorin General Cooking 0 18-04-2004 07:19 PM