Mark G.

Default Oak essence, anyone use it?

I got some of this stuff yesterday while at the LHBS. There was a guy
there with a few bottles of his Merlot that won several awards in
local competitions who was talking this stuff up pretty good. He said
that he adds one tsp to most of his reds and a half tsp to most of his
whites. That doesn't sound like much to add to 6gal of Merlot. I found
some direction online that said 1.5oz for 5gal which is like 1/4 the
bottle.
I've already added 2oz of oak cubes but don't think I'm getting muck
oak flavor from them in the 5months I have to get this from box to
bottle.
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? And if so how much do
you add?

Mark
Jack Keller

Mark, I've made my own and also used the commercial essence. I use
0.5 to 1.5 tablespoons per gallon, but this really does vary from wine
to wine. I've used as much as 2.5 tablespoons on a really heavy
Syrah. I don't like the oak to compete with the wine, so do not
over-do it.

To make my own, I fill a one-pint mason jar with shredded French oak
that is first dampened in water. I tamp it, but don't pack it tight.
Then I add Everclear until the oak begins to rise out of the jar, put
a lid on it, and set it in a cabinet. After about two weeks I find I
can add another half cup or so of Everclear, then put it back in the
cabinet. After 3 months (although I've forgotten it and left it in
for 5 months) I strain out the Everclear (now an oak essence) into a
dark medicine bottle and add more fresh Everclear to the mason jar.
It will continue extracting good oak flavor for about 5 or 6
strainings 15 to 18 months. I then put the shredded oak in a jelly
bag with 6-8 marbles, tie it tight, and drop it in a bulk-aging port,
leaving it there for about a year.

Jack Keller, The WInemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

> Do you think the stuff would mix in well enough over that time if I just pour
> some in on top of the wine in the carboy?

Mark, add the essence and then use a wooden dowel or plastic rod to
stir it. Allow it a few days to integrate well.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Jack Keller

> Do you think the stuff would mix in well enough over that time if I just pour
> some in on top of the wine in the carboy?

Mark, add the essence and then use a wooden dowel or plastic rod to
stir it. Allow it a few days to integrate well.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Jack Keller

> Do you think the stuff would mix in well enough over that time if I just pour
> some in on top of the wine in the carboy?

Mark, add the essence and then use a wooden dowel or plastic rod to
stir it. Allow it a few days to integrate well.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Oberon

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
[snipped]
> Mark, I've made my own [oak essence ...]

Jack,

I'm curious why one would make their own oak-essence-in-Everclear rather
than adding the oak directly to the wine?

This is not a criticism of your method, just a genuine question as to why
one would put forth the time, expense, and effort of creating the oak
essence as opposed to simply adding the oak to the wine during fermentation
or bulk aging.

--
Cheers,
Ken

Oberon

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
[snipped]
> Mark, I've made my own [oak essence ...]

Jack,

I'm curious why one would make their own oak-essence-in-Everclear rather
than adding the oak directly to the wine?

This is not a criticism of your method, just a genuine question as to why
one would put forth the time, expense, and effort of creating the oak
essence as opposed to simply adding the oak to the wine during fermentation
or bulk aging.

--
Cheers,
Ken

JEP

"Oberon" > wrote in message news:<pz34d.7401$vd1.421@trnddc03>...

> I'm curious why one would make their own oak-essence-in-Everclear rather
> than adding the oak directly to the wine?

I don't do this, I just add the oak directly, but I could see how is
may give you better control over the level of oak flavor. Adding a
certain amount of oak chips or even aging in a barrel is a , let's
say, inexact science concerning the resulting flavor contribution.

Andy
JEP

"Oberon" > wrote in message news:<pz34d.7401$vd1.421@trnddc03>...

> I'm curious why one would make their own oak-essence-in-Everclear rather
> than adding the oak directly to the wine?

I don't do this, I just add the oak directly, but I could see how is
may give you better control over the level of oak flavor. Adding a
certain amount of oak chips or even aging in a barrel is a , let's
say, inexact science concerning the resulting flavor contribution.

Andy
Jack Keller

Ken,

There are at least three reasons. First, a lot of people have asked
me about using Oak Essence (the product) and I had never used it and
wanted to so I could talk about it knowledgably. I couldn't find it
locally, so decided to make some. After I made some, I found the
product and then began comparing mine to theirs. Making it became a
habit.

Second, I have at times bulk aged a wine and when I was ready to
bottle it wished I had oaked it. Oak essence is the answer, and the
stuff is much cheaper to make than to buy. Plus, it really makes
itself.

Third, I have oaked wines before until they were perfect, removed the
oak, and two months later found I could hardly taste it at all. Oak
essence is the answer. It's easy to use, you can taste the results
right away, and if it isn't strong enough you don't have to wait
another month.

A friend in Fredericksburg, Texas also makes his own essence. His
method is slightly different than mine. He uses vodka. He also
leaves the oak chips in the jar for a couple of years. When he uses
some of his essence, he just adds more vodka to the jar. His gets
stronger than mine.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Oberon

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
[snipped]> There are at least three reasons.

Jack,

All very reasonable reasons, which I hadn't considered only because I'd
never run across any of those situations previously. I may make a jar, just
to keep on hand for those situations.

But I see one negative to this process... It ties up the oak chips for a
long time, and that would leave me with none for the grill.

--
Cheers,
Ken

Rick Vanderwal

not to sound ignorant, but what's everclear?
Rick

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Mark, I've made my own and also used the commercial essence. I use
> 0.5 to 1.5 tablespoons per gallon, but this really does vary from wine
> to wine. I've used as much as 2.5 tablespoons on a really heavy
> Syrah. I don't like the oak to compete with the wine, so do not
> over-do it.
>
> To make my own, I fill a one-pint mason jar with shredded French oak
> that is first dampened in water. I tamp it, but don't pack it tight.
> Then I add Everclear until the oak begins to rise out of the jar, put
> a lid on it, and set it in a cabinet. After about two weeks I find I
> can add another half cup or so of Everclear, then put it back in the
> cabinet. After 3 months (although I've forgotten it and left it in
> for 5 months) I strain out the Everclear (now an oak essence) into a
> dark medicine bottle and add more fresh Everclear to the mason jar.
> It will continue extracting good oak flavor for about 5 or 6
> strainings 15 to 18 months. I then put the shredded oak in a jelly
> bag with 6-8 marbles, tie it tight, and drop it in a bulk-aging port,
> leaving it there for about a year.
>
> Jack Keller, The WInemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Rick Vanderwal

not to sound ignorant, but what's everclear?
Rick

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Mark, I've made my own and also used the commercial essence. I use
> 0.5 to 1.5 tablespoons per gallon, but this really does vary from wine
> to wine. I've used as much as 2.5 tablespoons on a really heavy
> Syrah. I don't like the oak to compete with the wine, so do not
> over-do it.
>
> To make my own, I fill a one-pint mason jar with shredded French oak
> that is first dampened in water. I tamp it, but don't pack it tight.
> Then I add Everclear until the oak begins to rise out of the jar, put
> a lid on it, and set it in a cabinet. After about two weeks I find I
> can add another half cup or so of Everclear, then put it back in the
> cabinet. After 3 months (although I've forgotten it and left it in
> for 5 months) I strain out the Everclear (now an oak essence) into a
> dark medicine bottle and add more fresh Everclear to the mason jar.
> It will continue extracting good oak flavor for about 5 or 6
> strainings 15 to 18 months. I then put the shredded oak in a jelly
> bag with 6-8 marbles, tie it tight, and drop it in a bulk-aging port,
> leaving it there for about a year.
>
> Jack Keller, The WInemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Oberon

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> not to sound ignorant, but what's everclear?
> Rick

Rick,

It's a commercial rotgut, tasteless 190 proof alcohol. Considering it's
potency the price is very reasonabl, thus it lends itself well to functions
such as fortifying a sherry or port, and in liqueurs and cordials.

Also used by fraternities to spike some horrific mixtures. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Ken

Oberon

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> not to sound ignorant, but what's everclear?
> Rick

Rick,

It's a commercial rotgut, tasteless 190 proof alcohol. Considering it's
potency the price is very reasonabl, thus it lends itself well to functions
such as fortifying a sherry or port, and in liqueurs and cordials.

Also used by fraternities to spike some horrific mixtures. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Ken

Ray Calvert

> Jack,
>
> I'm curious why one would make their own oak-essence-in-Everclear rather
> than adding the oak directly to the wine?
>
> This is not a criticism of your method, just a genuine question as to why
> one would put forth the time, expense, and effort of creating the oak
> essence as opposed to simply adding the oak to the wine during
> fermentation or bulk aging.
> --
> Cheers,
> Ken

I must admit I have never used the stuff. Jack's reasons given above are
very practical and good reasons in them selves. I can think of one
additional possible reason. I am not sure about this so someone correct me
if my thinking is wrong.

It is offten recommended to add oak to wine early so it will better
incorporate into the wine. This suggests that the oak is blending or
chemically reacting with something in the wine. The most likely think I can
think of that it would be reacting with is alcohol. If this is the case,
making the oak essence would generate exactly what you want. Oak blended
with alcohol. Thus you could adjust your oak level relatively quickly by
mixing some in, letting it sit a week, tasting, and further adjusting.

Just a thought.

Jack, do you water down the everclear? Is it really necessary or adviseable
to use it in it's 190 proof state?

Ray

Jack Keller

Rick, Everclear is the brand name of a 190-proof (95% alcohol by
volume) liquor that has some great uses besides the obvious.

When I lived in Colorado, I put a tablespoon or so in the carburator
on really cold mornings and it fired up the car better than spray
starters (usually ether).

It tenderizes tough meat very quickly, especially if injected with a
syringe (don't overdo it).

It is a better fortifier for wine (as in turning a 10% wine into an
18-20% port) than 80-proof brandy because you use less and dilute the
wine less.

It can be used to make other extracts besides oak essence, such as
vanilla, orange, almond, tonka bean, coconut, etc.

Ray, to answer your question I never dilute it. If I wanted to do
that I'd just use vodka or gin.

Jack Keller, The WInemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Larry Meeusen

I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
Larry

Larry Meeusen

I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
Larry

Larry Meeusen

I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
Larry

Mark G.

NC

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:43:55 +0000 (UTC), "Larry Meeusen"
> wrote:

>I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
>country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
>Larry

Mark G.

NC

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:43:55 +0000 (UTC), "Larry Meeusen"
> wrote:

>I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
>country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
>Larry

Mark G.

NC

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:43:55 +0000 (UTC), "Larry Meeusen"
> wrote:

>I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
>country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
>Larry

Jack Keller

Texas and Louisiana

Jack Keller
Larry Meeusen

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om

> Texas and Louisiana
>
> Jack Keller

Thanks to all for the tips on the states it is available. I will be in
NC and Arizona this year.
Larry

Larry Meeusen

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om

> Texas and Louisiana
>
> Jack Keller

Thanks to all for the tips on the states it is available. I will be in
NC and Arizona this year.
Larry

Rick Vanderwal

hi, Larry, maybe you can pick up us michiganders a bottle!
Rick

"Larry Meeusen" > wrote in message
news:d5232a2d8205119b1155df391250009e.24260@mygate .mailgate.org...
> "Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> om
>
>> Texas and Louisiana
>>
>> Jack Keller

> Thanks to all for the tips on the states it is available. I will be in
> NC and Arizona this year.
> Larry

Rick Vanderwal

hi, Larry, maybe you can pick up us michiganders a bottle!
Rick

"Larry Meeusen" > wrote in message
news:d5232a2d8205119b1155df391250009e.24260@mygate .mailgate.org...
> "Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> om
>
>> Texas and Louisiana
>>
>> Jack Keller

> Thanks to all for the tips on the states it is available. I will be in
> NC and Arizona this year.
> Larry

Oberon

"Larry Meeusen" > wrote in message
news:b630eb43a0d8633aab0c71a2e2770a30.24260@mygate .mailgate.org...
> I'm looking for a state where I can buy Everclear, I travel around the
> country a bit, what states besides Colorado is it available?
> Larry

Larry,

Everclear is sold in VA ABC stores. I tend to buy in MD because the VA
stores contain exact carbon copies of each other in stock. MD stores have a
much wider variety, and that appeals to my desire for interesting scotch and
grappa. Grappa isn't even available in VA! I don't recall seeing
Everclear in MD stores, but I will look the next time I'm there.

--
Cheers,
Ken

Paul E. Lehmann

Oberon wrote:
> I don't recall seeing
> Everclear in MD stores, but I will look the next time I'm there.

I just got some here yesterday (Brunswick, Maryland). I got it for
experiments fortifying and sweetening some wine.

Pineapple essence Paul O'Grady General Cooking 0 12-10-2008 08:59 PM
Essence Brick[_3_] Barbecue 15 16-04-2008 03:48 PM
Essence Joseph Barbecue 10 13-04-2008 11:04 PM
Vanilla Essence Peter Preserving 19 04-07-2005 04:20 PM
essence Lorin General Cooking 0 18-04-2004 07:19 PM