Ian

Default Sechuan Pepper

Hi -

I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
commercial importation appears to be barred.

I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).

In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
be the real deal.

I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
did not seem very interested.

So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
some!

Ian
DC.

Yes they're the same thing, in parts of SE Asia, Sichuan peppers are
grounded down to powder form & sold. The names vary from country to country
& translation but anything like Chinese pepper powder to Sichuan powder are
the same thing. It's in powder form because it's convenient just like you'd
find ground blackpepper in supermarkets all over the western world. But you
should be aware that humidity in SE Asia is a lot higher & any spices ground
or powder form will soon loose it's potency, so depending on how long it's
in it's ground/powdered form, you might have to use it up fast. When buying
spices & herbs etc. always buy them whole if you intend to keep them for as
long as possible & make sure they're airtight during storage. hope this
helps.

DC.

"Ian" > wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
> Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
> commercial importation appears to be barred.
>
> I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
> 5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
> grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
> little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>
> In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
> spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
> could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
> never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
> speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
> be the real deal.
>
> I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
> did not seem very interested.
>
> So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
> some!
>
> Ian

DC.

"Ian" > wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
> Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
> commercial importation appears to be barred.
>
> I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
> 5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
> grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
> little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>
> In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
> spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
> could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
> never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
> speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
> be the real deal.
>
> I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
> did not seem very interested.
>
> So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
> some!
>
> Ian

Ian

Thanks, its nice to get confirmation. The jars of powdered pepper were
sealed, and I put the whole peppers into an airtight jar last night.

Ian

DC. wrote:
> Yes they're the same thing, in parts of SE Asia, Sichuan peppers are
> grounded down to powder form & sold. The names vary from country to country
> & translation but anything like Chinese pepper powder to Sichuan powder are
> the same thing. It's in powder form because it's convenient just like you'd
> find ground blackpepper in supermarkets all over the western world. But you
> should be aware that humidity in SE Asia is a lot higher & any spices ground
> or powder form will soon loose it's potency, so depending on how long it's
> in it's ground/powdered form, you might have to use it up fast. When buying
> spices & herbs etc. always buy them whole if you intend to keep them for as
> long as possible & make sure they're airtight during storage. hope this
> helps.
>
> DC.
>

> "Ian" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi -
>>
>>I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
>>Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
>>commercial importation appears to be barred.
>>
>>I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
>>5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
>>grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
>>little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>>
>>In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
>>spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
>>could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
>>never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
>>speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
>>be the real deal.
>>
>>I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
>>did not seem very interested.
>>
>>So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
>>some!
>>
>>Ian

Ian

DC. wrote:
> Yes they're the same thing, in parts of SE Asia, Sichuan peppers are
> grounded down to powder form & sold. The names vary from country to country
> & translation but anything like Chinese pepper powder to Sichuan powder are
> the same thing. It's in powder form because it's convenient just like you'd
> find ground blackpepper in supermarkets all over the western world. But you
> should be aware that humidity in SE Asia is a lot higher & any spices ground
> or powder form will soon loose it's potency, so depending on how long it's
> in it's ground/powdered form, you might have to use it up fast. When buying
> spices & herbs etc. always buy them whole if you intend to keep them for as
> long as possible & make sure they're airtight during storage. hope this
> helps.
>
> DC.
>

> "Ian" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi -
>>
>>I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
>>Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
>>commercial importation appears to be barred.
>>
>>I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
>>5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
>>grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
>>little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>>
>>In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
>>spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
>>could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
>>never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
>>speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
>>be the real deal.
>>
>>I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
>>did not seem very interested.
>>
>>So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
>>some!
>>
>>Ian

Ian

DC. wrote:
> Yes they're the same thing, in parts of SE Asia, Sichuan peppers are
> grounded down to powder form & sold. The names vary from country to country
> & translation but anything like Chinese pepper powder to Sichuan powder are
> the same thing. It's in powder form because it's convenient just like you'd
> find ground blackpepper in supermarkets all over the western world. But you
> should be aware that humidity in SE Asia is a lot higher & any spices ground
> or powder form will soon loose it's potency, so depending on how long it's
> in it's ground/powdered form, you might have to use it up fast. When buying
> spices & herbs etc. always buy them whole if you intend to keep them for as
> long as possible & make sure they're airtight during storage. hope this
> helps.
>
> DC.
>

> "Ian" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi -
>>
>>I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
>>Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
>>commercial importation appears to be barred.
>>
>>I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
>>5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
>>grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
>>little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>>
>>In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
>>spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
>>could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
>>never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
>>speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
>>be the real deal.
>>
>>I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
>>did not seem very interested.
>>
>>So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
>>some!
>>
>>Ian

Orchidguy

I can get this spice here in Florida , a market in Orlando carries it , the
name of the market is Dong-A, or another place is Oceanic in Tampa Florida
also carries it as well , I am sure they do mail order.
I don't have the address of Oceanic ...I'll look it up later, and post it .
Dong-A market
816 N. Mills Ave
Orlando , Fl 32803
Ph # (407) 898 9227
"Ian" > wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
> Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
> commercial importation appears to be barred.
>
> I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
> 5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
> grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
> little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>
> In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
> spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
> could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
> never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
> speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
> be the real deal.
>
> I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
> did not seem very interested.
>
> So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
> some!
>
> Ian

Orchidguy

"Ian" > wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I just came back from Thailand, and while there I looked for Sechuan
> Pepper, which is difficult to find (for me, anyway) in the US, as its
> commercial importation appears to be barred.
>
> I found spice jars of something called 'Sechuan Powder' in Foodtown (Soi
> 5 off Sukhumvit), and while its a bit gritty, requiring further
> grinding, it appears to be the right thing, as it leaves the tongue a
> little numb (thats my only clue about how it should taste).
>
> In Chiang Mai's Wororot Market, I found a woman selling mainly Indian
> spices, but she also had something she called 'Chinese Pepper', and she
> could not tell me if it was the same thing as Sechuan Pepper, as she had
> never heard this term (not surprising really, as she was not an English
> speaker). Anyway, I bought a generous bag of this, and it too appears to
> be the real deal.
>
> I declared on my US customs form that I had spices for cooking, and they
> did not seem very interested.
>
> So, if you are passing through Thailand (or know anyone doing so), grab
> some!
>
> Ian

how to refill the pepper section of an olde thompson acrylicsaltshaker / pepper mill Camp Stove General Cooking 1 28-07-2016 03:08 AM
Spicy Sechuan Oil Ian Asian Cooking 2 20-02-2011 04:10 AM
Sechuan buttons ian Asian Cooking 0 04-10-2007 01:11 AM
Lentil and Sweet Red Pepper Soup with Cumin and Black Pepper Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2004 04:17 AM
Grit in Sechuan Pepper ian Asian Cooking 3 28-11-2004 05:04 AM