Default Fish Sauce / Salt equivalence?

ian <spammapsglenizrainmapsspammaps@spamerolsspammaps. invalid> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> variable depending on the fish sauce brand?
>
> Thanks,

One Tablespoon (15 g.) of the Tra Chang fish sauce that I have right now,
contains 1170 mg. of sodium. If I remember this when I'm sober, I'll figure
out how much salt that would be (1-1/2 tsp?).

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 09 May 2004 23:25:35 -0700, ian
<spammapsglenizrainmapsspammaps@spamerolsspammaps. invalid> wrote:

>Hi -
>
>What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
>for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
>variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

Fish sauce has about ~500mg of salt per teaspoon according to the
bottle I have at hand.

Another source on the internet says 27-28grams per 100ml. Which
according to my math doesn't quite work out to anywhere near what
my bottle says. My math usually sucks, though.

-sw

Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 09 May 2004 23:25:35 -0700, ian
> <spammapsglenizrainmapsspammaps@spamerolsspammaps. invalid> wrote:
>
> >Hi -
> >
> >What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> >for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> >variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

> Fish sauce has about ~500mg of salt per teaspoon according to the
> bottle I have at hand.

Is that salt or sodium? I'm too gone ta even find the book with the
Periodic Table and such. Manana is a distinct maybe.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Steve Wertz,

le/on Sun, 09 May 2004 23:48:47 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>That's sodium according to the nutritional info. But I figure
>99.9% of that figure is sodium chloride (AKA salt).

Beware.

>A teaspoon of salt contains 2,300mg of sodium,

Assuming that a tsp of salt weighs 6 gms (which I wouldn't argue with).

> so that figures to about 1 teaspoon of salt in 5 teaspoons of fish sauce (rounding it
>out), according to my currently stocked brand.

I've not done the figures (too bloody lazy) but I know that sometimes salt
content is _expressed_ as sodium. By this I mean that if you add a tsp of
salt (near enough 100% for govt contract) which weighs around 6 gms, to a
litre of unsalted soup, you would reckon that the soups contains 6 gms/litre
salt, right? Wrong!! Not for many manufacturers of pre-prepared foods! They
express salt as "sodium" and therefore your (and my) 6 gms of salt becomes
23*6/58.5 = 2.66 salt expressed as sodium.

So you have to read the fine print VERY carefully to find out just how the
salt is expressed.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:52:38 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."

wrote:

>> Steve Wertz > wrote:

>> > Fish sauce has about ~500mg of salt per teaspoon according to the
>> > bottle I have at hand.
>> >

>> Is that salt or sodium? I'm too gone ta even find the book with the
>> Periodic Table and such. Manana is a distinct maybe.

>Table salt is sodium chloride. Fish sauce is going to have other sodium
>salts and such besides the chloride. Could be the difference in
>Steve's calculations, as well.

Some of it might actually be MSG (still a sodium), so I was
probably wrong about the 99.9% NaCl.

Perhaps this needs to be crossposted to sci.chemistry, or you
could just use 1tsp salt per 4ts fish sauce ;-)

To the OP, what you got against fish sauce? Good stuff. I can't
think of any recipe that calls for FS that I'd try and leave it
out.

-sw

Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 10 May 2004 04:17:07 GMT, wrote:
>
> >Steve Wertz > wrote:

> >> Fish sauce has about ~500mg of salt per teaspoon according to the
> >> bottle I have at hand.
> >>

> >Is that salt or sodium?

> That's sodium according to the nutritional info. But I figure
> 99.9% of that figure is sodium chloride (AKA salt).
>
> A teaspoon of salt contains 2,300mg of sodium, so that figures to
> about 1 teaspoon of salt in 5 teaspoons of fish sauce (rounding it
> out), according to my currently stocked brand.

OK. The reason I asked is that salt, NaCl, is 40% sodium by weight, 60%
chlorine. If one tsp. (5 ml.) of table salt contains 2,360 mg sodium, the
total amount of salt would be 5.9 gms.

So the 'Tra Chang' fish sauce I have is 5 gms/tsp. and contains 390 mg.
sodium/tsp., equivalent to 1/6 tsp. (about 1 gm.) of table salt as near as
I can tell.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Nathan Lau

ian wrote:

> Hi -
>
> What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

Try this: eat a teaspoon of salt. Remember that feeling that it gives
you. Then drink a quantity of fish sauce, increasing "dosage" until you
get the same feeling, or you pass out. <BEG>

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nathan Lau > wrote:
> ian wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> >
> > What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> > for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> > variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

> Try this: eat a teaspoon of salt. Remember that feeling that it gives
> you. Then drink a quantity of fish sauce, increasing "dosage" until you
> get the same feeling, or you pass out. <BEG>

Nate,

Have you been into the cooking Sherry this early in the day? LMAO

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:31:25 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>ian wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
>> for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
>> variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

>Try this: eat a teaspoon of salt. Remember that feeling that it gives
>you. Then drink a quantity of fish sauce, increasing "dosage" until you
>get the same feeling, or you pass out. <BEG>

That gives me idea - Fish Sauce Breath Freshener! Great for
smokers!

Actuually, you could probably dehydrate dome fish sauce and assume
90% of what you have left in solids is salt.

-sw

Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:31:25 GMT, Nathan Lau
> > wrote:
>
> >ian wrote:
> >
> >> Hi -
> >>
> >> What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> >> for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> >> variable depending on the fish sauce brand?

> >Try this: eat a teaspoon of salt. Remember that feeling that it gives
> >you. Then drink a quantity of fish sauce, increasing "dosage" until you
> >get the same feeling, or you pass out. <BEG>

> That gives me idea - Fish Sauce Breath Freshener! Great for
> smokers!

And Garlic! Definitely add lots of garlic! Perhaps a touch of Peat?

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
John Droge

> wrote in message
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:31:25 GMT, Nathan Lau
> > > wrote:

> > >Try this: eat a teaspoon of salt. Remember that feeling that it gives
> > >you. Then drink a quantity of fish sauce, increasing "dosage" until

you
> > >get the same feeling, or you pass out. <BEG>

> > That gives me idea - Fish Sauce Breath Freshener! Great for
> > smokers!
> >

> And Garlic! Definitely add lots of garlic! Perhaps a touch of Peat?
>
> --
> Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
> "Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
> victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
> - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
> If you can read this, thank a teacher.
> If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!

Steve-Nick
Tried it, the so-ju still came through-it least to people that could get
close enough( i.e. in the same room<g>)
John

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 May 2004 21:11:55 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>No, just trying my hand at being a smartass like Wertz here (no offense,
>Steve. Love you! :-x ). How'm I doing?

I thought I managed to be fairly complaint in this group.
Granted, I'm a smart-ass most everywhere else. I still have
moments of clarity, though. I think.

-sw

Steve Wertz > wrote:
> []
> I still have moments of clarity, though. I think.

Yeah. We can see right through you!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> Perhaps this needs to be crossposted to sci.chemistry, or you
> could just use 1tsp salt per 4ts fish sauce ;-)

Yeah probably-it does my heart ill to see the OP disparaging our
'circle-geek-out' (to coin as phrase)
My own personal 'oral salinimeter' is calibrated to 2:1
FS:NaCl - It's about half as salty as salt (I'm using Squid brand at
the moment)

> To the OP, what you got against fish sauce? Good stuff. I can't
> think of any recipe that calls for FS that I'd try and leave it
> out.

No sh*t - I'm constantly seeking new ways to use the stuff - hell it
even adds to Blue Box mac&cheese...
I even snuck some into the local sushi bar last time I went.

monroe(nore nouc mam less kook mom)
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> I thought I managed to be fairly complaint in this group.

^^^^^^^
Freudian Slip Alert!

monroe(LOL)

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:31:28 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:
>
>> I thought I managed to be fairly complaint in this group.

> ^^^^^^^
>Freudian Slip Alert!

If you referring to "complaint" (can't tell since you don't use a
fixed-width font - hint!) that was supposed to say "compliant", as
in: "A good little boy". So screw you, OK?

:-P

-sw
ian

wrote:

>>>Is that salt or sodium? I'm too gone ta even find the book with the
>>>Periodic Table and such. Manana is a distinct maybe.

>>Table salt is sodium chloride. Fish sauce is going to have other sodium
>>salts and such besides the chloride. Could be the difference in
>>Steve's calculations, as well.

> Some of it might actually be MSG (still a sodium), so I was
> probably wrong about the 99.9% NaCl.
>
> Perhaps this needs to be crossposted to sci.chemistry, or you
> could just use 1tsp salt per 4ts fish sauce ;-)
>
> To the OP, what you got against fish sauce? Good stuff. I can't
> think of any recipe that calls for FS that I'd try and leave it
> out.
>
> -sw

Actually, I was trying to go the other way - use fish sauce where a
Chinese recipe called for salt. I thought, like you it seems, that it
would make it tastier. I knew one of my books had an equivalence
statement, but of course, when you want the info, its nowhere to be found.

Ian

ian

ian wrote:

> Hi -
>
> What would be a good estimate of the equivalent measure of fish sauce
> for, say, a teaspoon of salt? Is double about right? Or is it very
> variable depending on the fish sauce brand?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

Well, thanks everybody, you are all a bunch of comedians when you're not
being chemists. I guess the equivalent amount of fish sauce is as long
as a piece of string.

I think I'll start out assuming my fish sauce is about half as potent as
salt, then add more until it seems ok.

Ian

Olde Tyme Salt-Crusted Fish kozzak General Cooking 3 09-06-2011 08:42 PM
salt content in fish sauce joel smith Asian Cooking 4 02-11-2006 10:53 PM
Making hot sauce: salt question Scott Preserving 8 20-08-2005 04:24 PM
salt fish Bob (this one) Preserving 5 19-02-2004 02:03 AM
soy sauce for salt in jerky marinade? Liz Preserving 5 19-12-2003 02:20 PM