Cape Cod Bob

Default A Wonderful Newsgroup

Happy New Year to all.

A special greeting to the amazing, generous Chris Dieckmann, who
answered my plea for Szechuan peppercorns with the offer to send me
three packages. Chris not only charged a ludicrously small amount but
sent back the extra $2 I had enclosed to cover any extra shipping and
for "going to the store for me." Thanks again, Chris, my chicken with
cashews now tastes like it should.
KR

Yes, you both and me too are very bad people and should hide from APIS. If
we aren't doing so already. And whatever you do, *don't* soak your Sichuan
pepper in water and then spritz it all over your kitchen kaffir lime tree.

In all seriousness, I would follow some basic precautions around any citrus
plants or other rutaceous plants (prickly ash, sansho, curry leaf tree) - ie
* Don't handle raw Sichuan pepper and then touch your tree
* Don't do anything which will cause raw Sichuan pepper to fly through
the air while your tree is in the room (like grinding it to a powder)
* Rinse kitchen surfaces and kitchen implements which have come into
contact with raw Sichuan pepper - such as cutting boards and measuring
spoons - with a 10% chlorine bleach solution and let them air dry, or
immerse them in boiling water. Rinse "contaminated" kitchen towels in a
hot wash with some bleach. If you measure ingredients with your fingers
wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

All this paranoia is in aid of keeping your personal citrus or curry tree
permanently happy and healthy. All those of you with no contact with citrus
or curry trees, just ignore the above or shake your heads disparagingly.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Best - krnntp

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:20:13 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
> > wrote:
>

>>Happy New Year to all.
>>
>>A special greeting to the amazing, generous Chris Dieckmann, who
>>answered my plea for Szechuan peppercorns with the offer to send me
>>three packages. Chris not only charged a ludicrously small amount but
>>sent back the extra $2 I had enclosed to cover any extra shipping and
>>for "going to the store for me." Thanks again, Chris, my chicken with
>>cashews now tastes like it should.

> I'm calling the Citris Cops on you!
>
> -sw

Cape Cod Bob

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:56:38 GMT, KR > wrote:

>Yes, you both and me too are very bad people and should hide from APIS. If
>we aren't doing so already. And whatever you do, *don't* soak your Sichuan
>pepper in water and then spritz it all over your kitchen kaffir lime tree.
>
>In all seriousness, I would follow some basic precautions around any citrus
>plants ....All those of you with no contact with citrus
>or curry trees, just ignore the above or shake your heads disparagingly.

Shaking my head up and down is nodding agreement and side-to-side is a
no-no. Would shaking disparingly be random orbital movements?
kalanamak

Cape Cod Bob wrote:

> Shaking my head up and down is nodding agreement and side-to-side is a
> no-no. Would shaking disparingly be random orbital movements?

Perhaps the poster means that side-to-side wobble Indians use which can
mean such disparate things as "oh that's too bad" and "well, you may be
right (but I think you're wrong)"
blacksalt
who, in her ten years married to a Panjabi, also learned that a tongue
"cluck" could mean Oh, that's too bad or Do that Again, and I'll be
really hacked off.
KR

Cape Cod Bob wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:56:38 GMT, KR > wrote:
>

>>Yes, you both and me too are very bad people and should hide from APHIS. If
>>we aren't doing so already. And whatever you do, *don't* soak your Sichuan
>>pepper in water and then spritz it all over your kitchen kaffir lime tree.
>>
>>In all seriousness, I would follow some basic precautions around any citrus
>>plants ....All those of you with no contact with citrus
>>or curry trees, just ignore the above or shake your heads disparagingly.

> Shaking my head up and down is nodding agreement and side-to-side is a
> no-no. Would shaking disparagingly be random orbital movements?

That's when you shake your head from side to side while either
A) staring upwards with your eyes out of focus
B) casting your eyes downward and looking sad as you muse on how
you are surrounded by idiots and the damage they are probably doing
while at large
C) gazing blankly at the computer screen
D) squinting

Whichever maneuver works best for you.

Best - krnntp

mroo philpott-smythe

Cape Cod Bob > wrote in
:

> A special greeting to the amazing, generous Chris Dieckmann, who
> answered my plea for Szechuan peppercorns with the offer to send me
> three packages. Chris not only charged a ludicrously small amount but
> sent back the extra $2 I had enclosed to cover any extra shipping and
> for "going to the store for me." Thanks again, Chris, my chicken with
> cashews now tastes like it should.

Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked everywhere
without success.

I understand the agricultural restrictions, but I'm a very careful cook and
gardener and would use my Sichuan peppercorns only for good, never for
evil.

sq
Jed

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:37:36 -0000, "mroo philpott-smythe"

:

>> A special greeting to the amazing, generous Chris Dieckmann, who
>> answered my plea for Szechuan peppercorns with the offer to send me
>> three packages. Chris not only charged a ludicrously small amount but
>> sent back the extra $2 I had enclosed to cover any extra shipping and
>> for "going to the store for me." Thanks again, Chris, my chicken with
>> cashews now tastes like it should.

>Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked everywhere
>without success.
>
>I understand the agricultural restrictions, but I'm a very careful cook and
>gardener and would use my Sichuan peppercorns only for good, never for
>evil.

Can't definitively answer your Sichuan pepper query. Although I
understand it has been banned from import into the US for quite some
time, I have seen posts in the cooking groups saying that it is
becoming available again (but verify the reliability of the vendor).
You might do a Google groups search on "Sichuan".

Are you any relation to the reknowned late Col. I.F.
Khuntilanont-Philpott ) who posted great Thai
recipes regularly to rec.food.cooking? For example:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=colonel+authorhilpott&hl=en&lr=&safe=of f&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny =1981&as_maxd=4&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&selm=rec.f ood.veg.cooking/336D6948.52E9%40vu-korat.ac.th&rnum=4>

Judy Bolton

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> Cape Cod Bob > wrote in
> :

> Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked everywhere
> without success.
> sq

Yes, I bought a few ounces in the last few months from CMC Company in
Avalon, NJ. Hopefully they have some left! They said they had a dwindling
supply...

Judy

mroo philpott-smythe

Jed > wrote in
:
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:37:36 -0000, "mroo philpott-smythe"
> > wrote:

>>Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked
>>everywhere without success.

>>I understand the agricultural restrictions, but I'm a very careful
>>cook and gardener and would use my Sichuan peppercorns only for good,
>>never for evil.

> Can't definitively answer your Sichuan pepper query. Although I
> understand it has been banned from import into the US for quite some
> time, I have seen posts in the cooking groups saying that it is
> becoming available again (but verify the reliability of the vendor).
> You might do a Google groups search on "Sichuan".

I did. No success. I've looked in every known web site and spice catalog
without success. If this keeps up, I'm trucking down to Chinatown to find
them.

> Are you any relation to the reknowned late Col. I.F.
> Khuntilanont-Philpott ) who posted great Thai
> recipes regularly to rec.food.cooking? For example:

'Fraid not, though I wish I were. Those were some stupendous recipes.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in
:

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>> Cape Cod Bob > wrote in
>> :

>> Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked
>> everywhere without success.
>> sq

> Yes, I bought a few ounces in the last few months from CMC Company in
> Avalon, NJ. Hopefully they have some left! They said they had a
> dwindling supply...

Well, it must've dwindled, I have their catalogue and it didn't show so
much as a berry.

And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for taste-testing,
and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!

sq

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> I did. No success. I've looked in every known web site and spice catalog
> without success. If this keeps up, I'm trucking down to Chinatown to find
> them.

You must have missed http://tinyurl.com/5ugcf . They've had them for a few
months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to allow
heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US. If the tinyurl link
doesn't work, the homepage is www.adrianascaravan.com (range in price,
depending on size of bag). Just do a search for "Szechuan peppercorns."
Another option is www.buffalocreekspices.com . It's under "Peppercorns,
Whole Sichuan" and is $8/lb. A third option is
http://www.thecmccompany.com/chin.htm but it's $5.95/2 oz there.

I have no experience with the above companies and cannot, personally,
recommend them. I got the information from the good folks on e-Gullet and
their 12-page thread on Sichuan Peppercorns. Several people there
recommend, and have purchased from, both CMC and Buffalo Creek, btw.

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had
people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to go
back. We call them Canadians."
---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

blake murphy

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 04:11:50 -0800, Jed >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:37:36 -0000, "mroo philpott-smythe"
> wrote:
>
>>Cape Cod Bob > wrote in
m:

>>> A special greeting to the amazing, generous Chris Dieckmann, who
>>> answered my plea for Szechuan peppercorns with the offer to send me
>>> three packages. Chris not only charged a ludicrously small amount but
>>> sent back the extra $2 I had enclosed to cover any extra shipping and
>>> for "going to the store for me." Thanks again, Chris, my chicken with
>>> cashews now tastes like it should.

>>Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked everywhere
>>without success.
>>
>>I understand the agricultural restrictions, but I'm a very careful cook and
>>gardener and would use my Sichuan peppercorns only for good, never for
>>evil.

>Can't definitively answer your Sichuan pepper query. Although I
>understand it has been banned from import into the US for quite some
>time, I have seen posts in the cooking groups saying that it is
>becoming available again (but verify the reliability of the vendor).
>You might do a Google groups search on "Sichuan".

possibly the thing to do is to ask your relatives, if they are heading
into canada to get prescription drugs, to smuggle you some back from
there.

your pal,
blake

>Are you any relation to the reknowned late Col. I.F.
>Khuntilanont-Philpott ) who posted great Thai
>recipes regularly to rec.food.cooking? For example:
>
><http://groups.google.com/groups?q=colonel+authorhilpott&hl=en&lr=&safe=of f&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny =1981&as_maxd=4&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&selm=rec.f ood.veg.cooking/336D6948.52E9%40vu-korat.ac.th&rnum=4>

Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> "Judy Bolton" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>> Cape Cod Bob > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Does anyone know where I can get sichuan pepper? I have looked
>>> everywhere without success.
>>> sq

>> Yes, I bought a few ounces in the last few months from CMC Company in
>> Avalon, NJ. Hopefully they have some left! They said they had a
>> dwindling supply...

> Well, it must've dwindled, I have their catalogue and it didn't show so
> much as a berry.
>
> And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for taste-testing,
> and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!

Taste-testing?

What kind of chicken stock is it that requires Sichuan peppercorns??

Anyway, I just inherited some fresh peppercorns from supposedly the best
growing region for them in Sichuan. Yet I still have some older ones on
hand. Email me, and I'd send you some of my older batch. (They are also
hand-smuggled from Sichuan, so even though they're a few years old, I'm
guessing they're still better than the kind one gets here in the US.)

Peter

ggull

Thanks for these links/resources. And simply for the info that some of
Szech corns are back on the US market. I'll try locally again, now that
they can be aboveground, but good to know I can mailorder if needed.

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote > >

> You must have missed http://tinyurl.com/5ugcf . They've had them for a

few
> months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to

allow
> heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US. If the tinyurl link
> doesn't work, the homepage is www.adrianascaravan.com (range in price,
> depending on size of bag). Just do a search for "Szechuan peppercorns."
> Another option is www.buffalocreekspices.com . It's under "Peppercorns,
> Whole Sichuan" and is $8/lb. A third option is
> http://www.thecmccompany.com/chin.htm but it's $5.95/2 oz there.
>
> I have no experience with the above companies and cannot, personally,
> recommend them. I got the information from the good folks on e-Gullet and
> their 12-page thread on Sichuan Peppercorns. Several people there
> recommend, and have purchased from, both CMC and Buffalo Creek, btw.

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had
> people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to

go
> back. We call them Canadians."
> ---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

kalanamak

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Well, it must've dwindled, I have their catalogue and it didn't show so
> much as a berry.
>
> And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for taste-testing,
> and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!
>
> sq

I'm kicking myself because I can't remember the name of this damn place.
It is in ?Maryland, they sell carbon steel knives, and many other less
available uppercrust equipment, almost all from France. They have a
little ecletic catalogue, and a stuttering website, and I know they talk
about their dogs in the catolog. They had them advertised in their last
catalog, which I have pitched. Does this place ring a bell to anyone?
I've been too emersed in civilizing a 28 month old to order any.
blacksalt

mroo philpott-smythe

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

>> I did. No success. I've looked in every known web site and spice
>> catalog without success. If this keeps up, I'm trucking down to
>> Chinatown to find them.

> You must have missed http://tinyurl.com/5ugcf .

I did. Bless your boots for that link. They even have pandan leaves and
panch phoron!

> They've had them for
> a few months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no
> less) to allow heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US. If
> the tinyurl link doesn't work, the homepage is www.adrianascaravan.com
> (range in price, depending on size of bag). Just do a search for
> "Szechuan peppercorns." Another option is www.buffalocreekspices.com .
> It's under "Peppercorns, Whole Sichuan" and is $8/lb. A third option
> is http://www.thecmccompany.com/chin.htm but it's $5.95/2 oz there.

Funny, I just googled last week, "Sichuan peppercorns," "Szechwan
peppercorns," even plain "pepper" and not a single link had them. This
week, it appears everybody does. Is Google suffering from sunspots?

> I have no experience with the above companies and cannot, personally,
> recommend them. I got the information from the good folks on e-Gullet
> and their 12-page thread on Sichuan Peppercorns. Several people there
> recommend, and have purchased from, both CMC and Buffalo Creek, btw.

Thanks.

I actually found some (old!) in a jar in my kitchen, squashed under a bag
of unlabeled grain (god alone knows what type of grain it is). Naturally,
the peppercorns were labeled "red pepper," probably by some nitwit of a
grocery clerk, but I recognized the stunning color and smell of good
fragara.

I used them in a double-stock this weekend, 1 tsp for 5 lb of chicken
bones + 2 qt water. Let's see if they burn our socks off.

Many thanks to all who replied. I will think good thoughts at you all as
I cook up the next peppercorn-using dish!

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
. com:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>> "Judy Bolton" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Yes, I bought a few ounces in the last few months from CMC Company
>>> in Avalon, NJ. Hopefully they have some left! They said they had a
>>> dwindling supply...

>> Well, it must've dwindled, I have their catalogue and it didn't show
>> so much as a berry.

>> And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for
>> taste-testing, and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!

> Taste-testing?

I always taste my stock after making to decide whether the recipe is a
keeper. %^)

> What kind of chicken stock is it that requires Sichuan peppercorns??

Barbara Tropp's China Moon Single Stock.

> Anyway, I just inherited some fresh peppercorns from supposedly the
> best growing region for them in Sichuan. Yet I still have some older
> ones on hand. Email me, and I'd send you some of my older batch.
> (They are also hand-smuggled from Sichuan, so even though they're a
> few years old, I'm guessing they're still better than the kind one
> gets here in the US.)

Wow. May the Cooking Deities always favor you with the best of
ingredients!

Thanks a bunch, check your mailbox.

sq
ggull

I tried a general (not specifically Asian) spice shop yesterday and they had
not heard of any ban lifting, though sounded interested. Their recommended
substitute was "Tazmanian" peppercorns (is this just Tasmanian misspelled or
?). Does anyone know what those are and whether they work?

Also, at the link below (Adriana's Caravan), they only report Sz P'corn's
availability as of September 2004. What's the January date based on?

"ggull" > wrote
> Thanks for these links/resources. And simply for the info that some of
> Szech corns are back on the US market. I'll try locally again, now that
> they can be aboveground, but good to know I can mailorder if needed.
>
> "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote > >
> >
> > You must have missed http://tinyurl.com/5ugcf . They've had them for a

> few
> > months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to

> allow
> > heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US. <snip>

ian

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>
>>I did. No success. I've looked in every known web site and spice catalog
>>without success. If this keeps up, I'm trucking down to Chinatown to find
>>them.
>>

> You must have missed http://tinyurl.com/5ugcf . They've had them for a few
> months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to allow
> heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US. If the tinyurl link
> doesn't work, the homepage is www.adrianascaravan.com (range in price,
> depending on size of bag). Just do a search for "Szechuan peppercorns."
> Another option is www.buffalocreekspices.com . It's under "Peppercorns,
> Whole Sichuan" and is $8/lb. A third option is
> http://www.thecmccompany.com/chin.htm but it's $5.95/2 oz there.
>
> I have no experience with the above companies and cannot, personally,
> recommend them. I got the information from the good folks on e-Gullet and
> their 12-page thread on Sichuan Peppercorns. Several people there
> recommend, and have purchased from, both CMC and Buffalo Creek, btw.
>
> rona

adrians caravan is recommended in Fuschia Dunlop's 'Land of Plenty' book.

Ian
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"ggull" > wrote in message
> I tried a general (not specifically Asian) spice shop yesterday and they

had
> not heard of any ban lifting, though sounded interested. Their

recommended
> substitute was "Tazmanian" peppercorns (is this just Tasmanian misspelled

or
> ?). Does anyone know what those are and whether they work?
>
> Also, at the link below (Adriana's Caravan), they only report Sz P'corn's
> availability as of September 2004. What's the January date based on?

<some shifting of posts, to maintain continuity>

Head on to e-Gullet and do a search for their thread on Szechuan
peppercorns. Then scroll through the 12 pages until you find a quotation
from the Chicago Tribune and read that. You can search the Chicago Tribune
archives, if you want, for the actual article but I'm certainly not paying
for it just to give you proof that what I say is true. And while you're at
it, go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov and do a search on their site or e-mail
them to find out when the ban was, in fact, lifted.

As for Adriana's Caravan, the description says, "back as of September 2004."
That, to mean, meant they started carrying them as of September 2004, not
necessarily that the ban was lifted in September 2004. Really, who the hell
cares *when* the ban was lifted?

---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote in
> . com:
>> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>> And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for
>>> taste-testing, and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!

>> Taste-testing?

> I always taste my stock after making to decide whether the recipe is a
> keeper. %^)

Aha. I thought you maybe were in a competition or something!

>> What kind of chicken stock is it that requires Sichuan peppercorns??

> Barbara Tropp's China Moon Single Stock.
>
>> Anyway, I just inherited some fresh peppercorns from supposedly the
>> best growing region for them in Sichuan. Yet I still have some older
>> ones on hand. Email me, and I'd send you some of my older batch.
>> (They are also hand-smuggled from Sichuan, so even though they're a
>> few years old, I'm guessing they're still better than the kind one
>> gets here in the US.)

> Wow. May the Cooking Deities always favor you with the best of
> ingredients!
>
> Thanks a bunch, check your mailbox.

Nothing yet. I get a lot of spam; maybe I deleted it by accident. Give it
an obvious subject heading, not "Hi!" or "Remember me?" or "My husband isn't
home!"

Peter

Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote in
> . com:
>> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>>> And I'm making two chicken stocks from scratch today for
>>> taste-testing, and one of them absolutely requires Sichuan pepper!

>> Taste-testing?

> I always taste my stock after making to decide whether the recipe is a
> keeper. %^)

Aha. I thought you maybe were in a competition or something!

>> What kind of chicken stock is it that requires Sichuan peppercorns??

> Barbara Tropp's China Moon Single Stock.
>
>> Anyway, I just inherited some fresh peppercorns from supposedly the
>> best growing region for them in Sichuan. Yet I still have some older
>> ones on hand. Email me, and I'd send you some of my older batch.
>> (They are also hand-smuggled from Sichuan, so even though they're a
>> few years old, I'm guessing they're still better than the kind one
>> gets here in the US.)

> Wow. May the Cooking Deities always favor you with the best of
> ingredients!
>
> Thanks a bunch, check your mailbox.

Nothing yet. I get a lot of spam; maybe I deleted it by accident. Give it
an obvious subject heading, not "Hi!" or "Remember me?" or "My husband isn't
home!"

Peter

mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
om:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>> "Peter Dy" > wrote in
>> . com:

>>> Taste-testing?

>> I always taste my stock after making to decide whether the recipe is
>> a keeper. %^)

> Aha. I thought you maybe were in a competition or something!

The only competition in this house is to see who gets to finish anything
that tastes really good.

[fragarasnip]

>> Thanks a bunch, check your mailbox.

> Nothing yet. I get a lot of spam; maybe I deleted it by accident.
> Give it an obvious subject heading, not "Hi!" or "Remember me?" or "My
> husband isn't home!"

HAHAHAHA!!!

I haven't sent it yet. So sorry, I wasn't sure where to ask you to mail
it, since the mail carrier refuses to come up our stairs, and we've had
mailbox thefts lately. I would absolutely *die* if, after going to all
this trouble, some rotten thief ended up cooking Szechwan chicken with
*my* peppers.

I thought I'd have you mail it to the office, and then remembered that we
have a real twit for a mailroom clerk, who often forgets to tell people
they have packages, and once had me fighting with some online distributor
for *months*, with them insisting they'd shipped my order and me
insisting I had never received it.

Ah, the spousal unit has succumbed to my powers of persuasion (backed by
the offer of an authentic Bengali recipe for near-immediate consumption).

Check your mailbox in an hour. %^)

And thanks again.

sq
ggull

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote ...
> "ggull" > wrote ...
> > <snip>
> > Also, at the link below (Adriana's Caravan), they only report Sz

P'corn's
> > availability as of September 2004. What's the January date based on?

<I here supply the quote from your original post which you edited out>
"You must have missed <link to Adriana's Caravan>. They've had them for a
few
months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to allow
heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US."

> Head on to e-Gullet and do a search for their thread on Szechuan
> peppercorns. Then scroll through the 12 pages until you find a quotation
> from the Chicago Tribune and read that. You can search the Chicago

Tribune
> archives, if you want, for the actual article but I'm certainly not paying
> for it just to give you proof that what I say is true. And while you're

at
> it, go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov and do a search on their site or

e-mail
> them to find out when the ban was, in fact, lifted.

Sorry to have gotten your dander up. It wasn't intended. At least in my
circles (scientific research), requesting a source for an assertion as to
data is not regarded as an attack on someone's veracity or machismo -- it's
more an admission of one's own ignorance. But "How do you know that?" is
never an improper question.
Thanks for the suggested sources.

> As for Adriana's Caravan, the description says, "back as of September

2004."
> That, to mean, meant they started carrying them as of September 2004, not
> necessarily that the ban was lifted in September 2004.

Yes, that's what they said. I was not saying you contradicted a statement
by Adriana's that the ban was lifted in September. I'm sorry if it sounded
that way. I was curious where the *additional* information you gave might
have come from.

>Really, who the hell cares *when* the ban was lifted?

Well, you brought it up, even made a point of it. And I'm at least mildly
curious, as I seem to recall the topic coming up a few months ago (certainly
since January), and they were not available through super-rosa channels at
the time. I guess the allowance of heat treated 'corns hadn't percolated
through to the retail level yet.

and I'll repeat what I said in my original reply to your post, also elided
by you,
"> Thanks for these links/resources. And simply for the info that some of
> Szech corns are back on the US market."

ggull

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote ...
> "ggull" > wrote ...
> > <snip>
> > Also, at the link below (Adriana's Caravan), they only report Sz

P'corn's
> > availability as of September 2004. What's the January date based on?

<I here supply the quote from your original post which you edited out>
"You must have missed <link to Adriana's Caravan>. They've had them for a
few
months, now. FWIW, the ban has been revised (in January, no less) to allow
heat-treated peppercorns on the market in the US."

> Head on to e-Gullet and do a search for their thread on Szechuan
> peppercorns. Then scroll through the 12 pages until you find a quotation
> from the Chicago Tribune and read that. You can search the Chicago

Tribune
> archives, if you want, for the actual article but I'm certainly not paying
> for it just to give you proof that what I say is true. And while you're

at
> it, go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov and do a search on their site or

e-mail
> them to find out when the ban was, in fact, lifted.

Sorry to have gotten your dander up. It wasn't intended. At least in my
circles (scientific research), requesting a source for an assertion as to
data is not regarded as an attack on someone's veracity or machismo -- it's
more an admission of one's own ignorance. But "How do you know that?" is
never an improper question.
Thanks for the suggested sources.

> As for Adriana's Caravan, the description says, "back as of September

2004."
> That, to mean, meant they started carrying them as of September 2004, not
> necessarily that the ban was lifted in September 2004.

Yes, that's what they said. I was not saying you contradicted a statement
by Adriana's that the ban was lifted in September. I'm sorry if it sounded
that way. I was curious where the *additional* information you gave might
have come from.

>Really, who the hell cares *when* the ban was lifted?

Well, you brought it up, even made a point of it. And I'm at least mildly
curious, as I seem to recall the topic coming up a few months ago (certainly
since January), and they were not available through super-rosa channels at
the time. I guess the allowance of heat treated 'corns hadn't percolated
through to the retail level yet.

and I'll repeat what I said in my original reply to your post, also elided
by you,
"> Thanks for these links/resources. And simply for the info that some of
> Szech corns are back on the US market."

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"ggull" > wrote in message

> Sorry to have gotten your dander up. It wasn't intended. At least in my
> circles (scientific research), requesting a source for an assertion as to
> data is not regarded as an attack on someone's veracity or machismo --

it's
> more an admission of one's own ignorance. But "How do you know that?" is
> never an improper question.

It's not an improper question, but the way it is asked can be somewhat
off-putting. There's a difference between saying, "Where did you get that
information?" and "Could you tell me where you got that information?", for
example. The former is more direct, and can often be more accusatory,
whereas the latter is more polite (though some may say artificially so).

> Thanks for the suggested sources.
>

> Yes, that's what they said. I was not saying you contradicted a statement
> by Adriana's that the ban was lifted in September. I'm sorry if it

sounded
> that way. I was curious where the *additional* information you gave might
> have come from.

And in my original post, I also stated that my information came from
e-Gullet. It's a long thread and as it was, it was a PITA to try to find
the original links in the first place (meaning it took me a good 15-20
minutes just to find the links I posted). I was annoyed that someone was
questioning me when I spent a good portion of my own time to help out. And
that, is my own fault for being annoyed and snapping back when I shouldn't
have. When I'm in a bad mood to begin with, I tend to be even snarkier than
when I'm in a good mood. So, I apologize for being snippy and accusatory.
I shouldn't have replied as I did, but I think I was just itching for a
fight with someone. Sorry it was you!

---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Wonderful Website...!!! Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-11-2010 03:46 PM
Wonderful Bounty Tara General Cooking 16 13-06-2010 02:04 AM
Try this wonderful, very low-cal dessert [email protected] General Cooking 4 17-06-2006 04:54 PM
Wonderful Salmon! Ward Abbott General Cooking 0 18-04-2006 11:53 PM