John Doe

Default lemon grass vs powder

I don't have anything specific in mind, just wondered what other people did
when fresh lemon grass wasn't available.

1 tsp fresh must be close to 1 tsp dried.

But some people say that dried isn't the same as fresh. Others will say,
"Taste it."

If you're not experienced in Asian cooking, it helps to have reference
points, but thats just me.

The cookbook I got has tasty pictures, but I suspect it is based on English
immigrants whose cultures have compromised ingredients.

My first attempt will be Malaysian Chili Crab, except my version will be
crab cakes, since there are no fresh crabs here in Kansas and if there were
they would be too expensive to experiment with. Suggestions on the crab
cakes are welcomed.

maf

"kalanamak" > wrote in message

> John Doe wrote:
>
> > I've blanched and frozen some lemon grass for use this winter. Has

anyone
> > tried this?
> >
> > When using the powdered lemon grass, how much to use when the recipe

calls
> > for 1 stalk fresh lemon grass?
> >

> I've never blanched, but I did chop the working end of the lemon grass and
> freeze it in single portions. I have never had a recipe call for "1 fresh
> stalk of lemon grass". My books ask for 1 teas pounded fresh. Since you

only
> use the tender bottom end (unless you are making tea of the dried stalks)

in
> curries, I'd slice off the tender meat at the bottom, cut into 1/8th inch
> slices and measure out about a tablespoon, double wrap and freeze. It was

easy