Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Cooking oil reuse

Assuming you start with peanut oil and fry at between 350 and 375 and
filter after each use, how many uses can one expect to get out of a
batch of peanut oil? I used a gallon jug for my first use and once I
pulled the food out of it, it appeared to still have some water left
over from the food, so I let it cook for a while longer to drive out
any moisture that was still in it, let it cool, and filtered it back
into the bottle. I know to go by smell and taste, but was wondering
what you could expect to see use-wise.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Posted to alt.food.asian

not sure beyond the smell taste options but i would venture it would also be
dependent on what you cooked in it, Lee
"JeffH" > wrote in message
> Assuming you start with peanut oil and fry at between 350 and 375 and
> filter after each use, how many uses can one expect to get out of a
> batch of peanut oil? I used a gallon jug for my first use and once I
> pulled the food out of it, it appeared to still have some water left
> over from the food, so I let it cook for a while longer to drive out
> any moisture that was still in it, let it cool, and filtered it back
> into the bottle. I know to go by smell and taste, but was wondering
> what you could expect to see use-wise.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmee wrote:
> not sure beyond the smell taste options but i would venture it would also be
> dependent on what you cooked in it, Lee
> "JeffH" > wrote in message
>> Assuming you start with peanut oil and fry at between 350 and 375 and
>> filter after each use, how many uses can one expect to get out of a
>> batch of peanut oil? I used a gallon jug for my first use and once I
>> pulled the food out of it, it appeared to still have some water left
>> over from the food, so I let it cook for a while longer to drive out
>> any moisture that was still in it, let it cool, and filtered it back
>> into the bottle. I know to go by smell and taste, but was wondering
>> what you could expect to see use-wise.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Jeff

I only reuse oil with the same kind of food - so I have oil for fish,
oil for chicken, etc. My new deep fryer says that filtered oil can be
used about 8 times. I think you can also tell by the size of the
bubbles, but I will have to re-read a chapetr of a food science book to
be certain.

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 06:44:56 -0700 (PDT), JeffH wrote:

> Assuming you start with peanut oil and fry at between 350 and 375 and
> filter after each use, how many uses can one expect to get out of a
> batch of peanut oil? I used a gallon jug for my first use and once I
> pulled the food out of it, it appeared to still have some water left
> over from the food, so I let it cook for a while longer to drive out
> any moisture that was still in it, let it cool, and filtered it back
> into the bottle. I know to go by smell and taste, but was wondering
> what you could expect to see use-wise.

There wouldn't have been any water in the oil if the oil was over
300F when you took the food out (end even under 300F it wouldn't
have lasted long). Water turns to steam and exits the oil at 212F,
assuming the volume of oil is greater than the volume of water.

I don't have an reliable answer for your "how long" question other
than storing it in the fridge will allow it to last much longer.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

and i just remembered while reading about oil from a health perspective, it
begins to hydroginate at the first heat, Lee