dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

Old 23-12-2005, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

Default dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

Does anyone know or know of the conversion rate for fresh to dried
fruit?

Like, how many pounds of grapes go into a pound of raisins?

I am looking spoecifically for elderberry (I have fresh, but a recipe
for dried), but other fruits would be usefull, like grapes and
cranberries.

Thanks

Old 23-12-2005, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

My father-in-law just made some fresh elderberry wine this fall and
used 15 lbs for 5 gallons. I'm not sure how much sugar he added
though. I don't know if this will help you out, though.

Old 24-12-2005, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

i would divide the weight of fresh elderberries by 4

Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

"Droopy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know or know of the conversion rate for fresh to dried
fruit?

Like, how many pounds of grapes go into a pound of raisins?

I am looking spoecifically for elderberry (I have fresh, but a recipe
for dried), but other fruits would be usefull, like grapes and
cranberries.

You could weigh out a small portion of elderberries, like two ounces, then
put them in the oven to dry out. When dry, re-weigh the residue and get the
ratio of dry to fresh. If you do that, would you please post your results
for the group? I make a lot of elderberry and elderberry/grape wine but
always use fresh as we have several bushes on the property.

Paul

TN: TTG#2 -- 10 1990/97 Sangiovese, 2 Champagnes, 1 Old Vouvray Jim Wine 1 01-11-2005 06:31 AM
TN: 05 Fall Vendors' Sale at TAC (long -- 24 notes) Jim Wine 0 03-10-2005 11:23 PM
Wrong ..... Kate General Cooking 11 23-07-2005 12:47 AM
Low Fat Shakes & Smoothies (10 ) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 20-06-2004 01:06 AM
[LONG] TN: IndyWine '04 Mark Lipton Wine 3 12-02-2004 09:36 PM