Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Dried Elderberry wine recipe - got too hot

Oh rats! I started a gallon of Dried Elderberry wine (Keller's site for
recipe) and it was kinda cold in the house, so I sat it on a heating
pad, forgot to add a layer of towel or something in between, and after
over night, I checked the temperature - it was 100 degrees F. oh, my.

Did I kill the yeast? I'll bet I did, I see no activity. Did I kill the
batch?

I am getting it back to 68-75 and will pitch another yeast -- but
wondered if anyone has experience on this?

DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Not sure if you killed all of them; the yeast near the bottom would be
dead (temperature gradient). At least you know the wild yeast will be
dead. Some commercial yeasts can survive to about 104F, but not happy.
Your idea of getting temperature back under control and re-pitching
yeast is a good one. Any yeast that survived the spa bath would be too
slow recovering and would be weakened to the point you might get a stuck
fermentation anyway.

Gene

Dave Allison wrote:
> Oh rats! I started a gallon of Dried Elderberry wine (Keller's site for
> recipe) and it was kinda cold in the house, so I sat it on a heating
> pad, forgot to add a layer of towel or something in between, and after
> over night, I checked the temperature - it was 100 degrees F. oh, my.
>
> Did I kill the yeast? I'll bet I did, I see no activity. Did I kill the
> batch?
>
> I am getting it back to 68-75 and will pitch another yeast -- but
> wondered if anyone has experience on this?
>
> DAve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would agree with Gene, and doubt you damaged the wine at all too.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks, Gene and Joe, for the advice. I have pitched another yeast
round. I am using Lalvin EC-1118 again, as this is what I have. :*)

I'll see what happens in 48 hours. thanks again,
DAve

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> I would agree with Gene, and doubt you damaged the wine at all too.
>
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Well, an update on the Dried Elderberry wine. I have racked it and
racked it - and today I bottled it. I started January 29th 2007. The
wine has GREAT potential. It has a very full body! I'm thinking ice cold
in small glasses. I will store it until Christmas before I open the
first bottle. Since I only made just over 1 gallon - I bottled most in
375 ml bottles, so I could taste along the way.
As the original post stated - I used a modified Jacks' recipe for Dried
Elderberry wine -

---------------
DRIED ELDERBERRY WINE
• 7 ounces dried elderberries
• ½ pound of chopped raisins
• 1 banana
• 3 ½ pounds sugar
• 9 ½ pts water
• 1 tsp acid blend
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• packet of Montrachet yeast.

Bring water to boil with sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and water
clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with
several marbles for weight, add raisins (chopped) and banana (mashed).
Tie bag and put in primary. Pour boiling sugar-water over elderberries
and cover primary. When cool, stir in crushed Campden, yeast nutrient
and acid blend until dissolved. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add
activated yeast.

Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.010, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack
every 30 days until wine clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees
over a 30-day period.

Bottle and enjoy. The wine improves with age.
------------

My S.G. started at 1.152 and ended up at 1.020

I am interested in doing this again, I may decide to do 3 gallons as I
really like the results.

DAve

Dave Allison wrote:
> Thanks, Gene and Joe, for the advice. I have pitched another yeast
> round. I am using Lalvin EC-1118 again, as this is what I have. :*)
>
> I'll see what happens in 48 hours. thanks again,
> DAve
>

> Joe Sallustio wrote:
>> I would agree with Gene, and doubt you damaged the wine at all too.
>>
>> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi Dave

No wonder this - got too hot - . Major mistake in the recipe !!
The instructions say to ferment to dryness but there is no
possible way that Montrachet yeast can ferment 4 pounds of
sugar to dryness. Even the EC 1118 that you used can't do it.

At this point I would guesstimate you have about 18% alcohol
and about 30 (plus) gravity points of residual sugar. Most folks
would label this a Port style wine. Nothing wrong with that, but
the instructions indicate it should have turned out as a dry table
wine.

To correct the recipe:

1. Change the sugar from 3 1/2 pounds to 1 1/2 pounds.
2. Make a note that the starting SG should be in the 1.080 to
1.085 range when the yeast is added.
3. This should give you a dry wine with about 11% alcohol.
If you don't like it dry like this, you can always add sorbate
and sweeten to taste.

HTH

Frederick

"Dave Allison" > wrote in message
> Well, an update on the Dried Elderberry wine. I have racked it and racked
> it - and today I bottled it. I started January 29th 2007. The wine has
> GREAT potential. It has a very full body! I'm thinking ice cold in small
> glasses. I will store it until Christmas before I open the first bottle.
> Since I only made just over 1 gallon - I bottled most in 375 ml bottles,
> so I could taste along the way.
> As the original post stated - I used a modified Jacks' recipe for Dried
> Elderberry wine -
>
> ---------------
> DRIED ELDERBERRY WINE
> • 7 ounces dried elderberries
> • ½ pound of chopped raisins
> • 1 banana
> • 3 ½ pounds sugar
> • 9 ½ pts water
> • 1 tsp acid blend
> • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
> • 1 crushed Campden tablet
> • packet of Montrachet yeast.
>

> Bring water to boil with sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and water
> clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with several
> marbles for weight, add raisins (chopped) and banana (mashed). Tie bag and
> put in primary. Pour boiling sugar-water over elderberries and cover
> primary. When cool, stir in crushed Campden, yeast nutrient and acid blend
> until dissolved. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add activated yeast.
>
> Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.010, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
> Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack
> every 30 days until wine clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees
> over a 30-day period.
>
> Bottle and enjoy. The wine improves with age.
> ------------
>
> My S.G. started at 1.152 and ended up at 1.020
>
> I am interested in doing this again, I may decide to do 3 gallons as I
> really like the results.
>
> DAve
>

> Dave Allison wrote:
>> Thanks, Gene and Joe, for the advice. I have pitched another yeast round.
>> I am using Lalvin EC-1118 again, as this is what I have. :*)
>>
>> I'll see what happens in 48 hours. thanks again,
>> DAve
>>

>> Joe Sallustio wrote:
>>> I would agree with Gene, and doubt you damaged the wine at all too.
>>>
>>> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wow! In fact, when I tasted the bold sweet taste, it did remind me of a
port. Since I love ports, I think I will redo my "mistake" and make some
more -- but it was nice of you to explain the below.
I always get wiser reading this newsgroup.

thanks, DAve

frederick ploegman wrote:
> [...]
>> until dissolved. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add activated yeast.
>>
>> Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.010, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
>> Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack
>> every 30 days until wine clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees
>> over a 30-day period.
>>
>> Bottle and enjoy. The wine improves with age.
>> ------------
>>
>> My S.G. started at 1.152 and ended up at 1.020
>>
>> I am interested in doing this again, I may decide to do 3 gallons as I
>> really like the results.
>>
>> DAve
>>

>> Dave Allison wrote:
>>> Thanks, Gene and Joe, for the advice. I have pitched another yeast round.
>>> I am using Lalvin EC-1118 again, as this is what I have. :*)
>>>
>>> I'll see what happens in 48 hours. thanks again,

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi Dave

You can also change the recipe so you can do that.

1. Cross out "...Montrachet yeast..." and write in: EC 1118 or
P. Cuvee.

2. Drop down to the last paragraph of the instructions and cross
out "...1.010..." and write in: 1.060.

3. Cross out "...ferment to dryness..." and write in: Wait until
fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear.
(usually 3 to 6 weeks depending on temperature)

HTH

Frederick

PS - You can easily convert_any_wine which has adequate body
and intensity of flavor to a port style wine.
1. Add enough alcohol to bring it up to ~20%ABV.
2. Add enough sugar to bring the end SG up into the 1.020-1.030
range.
3. Since the high alcohol pervents refermentation, no sorbate is
required.

You can do it either way. Have fun. ;o) HTH

> [...]
>>> clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with
>>> several marbles for weight, add raisins (chopped) and banana (mashed).
>>> Tie bag and put in primary. Pour boiling sugar-water over elderberries
>>> and cover primary. When cool, stir in crushed Campden, yeast nutrient
>>> and acid blend until dissolved. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add
>>> activated yeast.
>>>
>>> Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.010, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
>>> Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack
>>> every 30 days until wine clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees
>>> over a 30-day period.
>>>
>>> Bottle and enjoy. The wine improves with age.
>>> ------------
>>>
>>> My S.G. started at 1.152 and ended up at 1.020
>>>
>>> I am interested in doing this again, I may decide to do 3 gallons as I

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

My gosh, that's wonderful. thank you. For those following this tread,
here is the new Dried Elderberry Port:
DRIED ELDERBERRY PORT

• 7 ounces dried elderberries
• ½ pound of chopped raisins
• 1 banana
• 3 ½ pounds sugar
• 9 ½ pints water
• 1 tsp acid blend
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• EC1118 or P. Cuvee yeast

Bring water to boil with sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and water
clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with
several marbles for weight. Tie bag and put in primary. Pour boiling
sugar-water over elderberries and cover primary. When cool, stir in
crushed Campden, yeast nutrient and acid blend until dissolved. Recover
and set aside 12 hours. Add activated yeast.

Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.060, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment Wait until
fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear. (usually 3
to 6 weeks depending on temperature). Rack every 30 days until wine
clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees over a 30-day period.

Bottle and enjoy. The Port improves in 6-12 months.

thanks, frederick!

DAve

frederick ploegman wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> You can also change the recipe so you can do that.
>
> 1. Cross out "...Montrachet yeast..." and write in: EC 1118 or
> P. Cuvee.
>
> 2. Drop down to the last paragraph of the instructions and cross
> out "...1.010..." and write in: 1.060.
>
> 3. Cross out "...ferment to dryness..." and write in: Wait until
> fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear.
> (usually 3 to 6 weeks depending on temperature)
>
> HTH
>
> Frederick
>
> PS - You can easily convert_any_wine which has adequate body
> and intensity of flavor to a port style wine.
> 1. Add enough alcohol to bring it up to ~20%ABV.
> 2. Add enough sugar to bring the end SG up into the 1.020-1.030
> range.
> 3. Since the high alcohol pervents refermentation, no sorbate is
> required.
>
> You can do it either way. Have fun. ;o) HTH
>

> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
>> wow! In fact, when I tasted the bold sweet taste, it did remind me of a
>> port. Since I love ports, I think I will redo my "mistake" and make some
>> more -- but it was nice of you to explain the below.
>> I always get wiser reading this newsgroup.
>>
>> thanks, DAve
>>
>> frederick ploegman wrote:
>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> No wonder this - got too hot - . Major mistake in the recipe !!
>>> The instructions say to ferment to dryness but there is no
>>> possible way that Montrachet yeast can ferment 4 pounds of
>>> sugar to dryness. Even the EC 1118 that you used can't do it.
>>>
>>> At this point I would guesstimate you have about 18% alcohol
>>> and about 30 (plus) gravity points of residual sugar. Most folks
>>> would label this a Port style wine. Nothing wrong with that, but
>>> the instructions indicate it should have turned out as a dry table
>>> wine.
>>>
>>> To correct the recipe:
>>>
>>> 1. Change the sugar from 3 1/2 pounds to 1 1/2 pounds.
>>> 2. Make a note that the starting SG should be in the 1.080 to
>>> 1.085 range when the yeast is added.
>>> 3. This should give you a dry wine with about 11% alcohol.
>>> If you don't like it dry like this, you can always add sorbate
>>> and sweeten to taste.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Frederick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

My gosh, that's wonderful. thank you. For those following this tread,
here is the new Dried Elderberry Port:
DRIED ELDERBERRY PORT

• 7 ounces dried elderberries
• ½ pound of chopped raisins
• 1 banana
• 1 1/2 pounds sugar
• 9 ½ pints water
• 1 tsp acid blend
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• EC1118 or P. Cuvee yeast

Bring water to boil with sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and water
clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with
several marbles for weight. Tie bag and put in primary. Pour boiling
sugar-water over elderberries and cover primary. When cool, stir in
crushed Campden, yeast nutrient and acid blend until dissolved. Recover
and set aside 12 hours. S.G. 1.080-1.085 Add activated yeast.

frederick ploegman wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> You can also change the recipe so you can do that.
>
> 1. Cross out "...Montrachet yeast..." and write in: EC 1118 or
> P. Cuvee.
>
> 2. Drop down to the last paragraph of the instructions and cross
> out "...1.010..." and write in: 1.060.
>
> 3. Cross out "...ferment to dryness..." and write in: Wait until
> fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear.
> (usually 3 to 6 weeks depending on temperature)
>
> HTH
>
> Frederick
>
> PS - You can easily convert_any_wine which has adequate body
> and intensity of flavor to a port style wine.
> 1. Add enough alcohol to bring it up to ~20%ABV.
> 2. Add enough sugar to bring the end SG up into the 1.020-1.030
> range.
> 3. Since the high alcohol pervents refermentation, no sorbate is
> required.
>
> You can do it either way. Have fun. ;o) HTH
>

> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
>> wow! In fact, when I tasted the bold sweet taste, it did remind me of a
>> port. Since I love ports, I think I will redo my "mistake" and make some
>> more -- but it was nice of you to explain the below.
>> I always get wiser reading this newsgroup.
>>
>> thanks, DAve
>>
>> frederick ploegman wrote:
>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> No wonder this - got too hot - . Major mistake in the recipe !!
>>> The instructions say to ferment to dryness but there is no
>>> possible way that Montrachet yeast can ferment 4 pounds of
>>> sugar to dryness. Even the EC 1118 that you used can't do it.
>>>
>>> At this point I would guesstimate you have about 18% alcohol
>>> and about 30 (plus) gravity points of residual sugar. Most folks
>>> would label this a Port style wine. Nothing wrong with that, but
>>> the instructions indicate it should have turned out as a dry table
>>> wine.
>>>
>>> To correct the recipe:
>>>
>>> 1. Change the sugar from 3 1/2 pounds to 1 1/2 pounds.
>>> 2. Make a note that the starting SG should be in the 1.080 to
>>> 1.085 range when the yeast is added.
>>> 3. This should give you a dry wine with about 11% alcohol.
>>> If you don't like it dry like this, you can always add sorbate
>>> and sweeten to taste.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Frederick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Man, I'm sorry. Also baby sitting granddaughter so was not focused.

one hobby at a time,
sorry.DAve

frederick ploegman wrote:
> Nope !!
>
> In this recipe, 1 1/2 pounds of sugar with Montrachet yeast
> makes the dry wine, while 3 1/2 pounds of sugar with P.Cuvee
> makes the port style wine !!
>
> These are two entirely different methods producing two entirely
> different wines !! And you can't use the same verbal instructions
> for both !!
>
> I give up. Find a recipe and follow it EXACTLY !! No changes !!
>

> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
>> My gosh, that's wonderful. thank you. For those following this tread,
>> here is the new Dried Elderberry Port:
>> DRIED ELDERBERRY PORT
>>

>> • 7 ounces dried elderberries
>> • ½ pound of chopped raisins
>> • 1 banana
>> • 1 1/2 pounds sugar
>> • 9 ½ pints water
>> • 1 tsp acid blend
>> • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
>> • 1 crushed Campden tablet
>> • EC1118 or P. Cuvee yeast
>>

>> Bring water to boil with sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and water
>> clear. Wash dried elderberries and put in nylon straining bag with
>> several marbles for weight. Tie bag and put in primary. Pour boiling
>> sugar-water over elderberries and cover primary. When cool, stir in
>> crushed Campden, yeast nutrient and acid blend until dissolved. Recover
>> and set aside 12 hours. S.G. 1.080-1.085 Add activated yeast.
>>
>> Ferment until s.g. drops to 1.060, stirring and squeezing bag daily.
>> Transfer liquid to secondary, fit airlock and ferment Wait until
>> fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear. (usually 3
>> to 6 weeks depending on temperature). Rack every 30 days until wine
>> clears and doesn't drop even a dusting of lees over a 30-day period.
>>
>> Bottle and enjoy. The Port improves in 6-12 months.
>>
>> thanks, frederick!
>>
>> DAve
>>
>> frederick ploegman wrote:
>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> You can also change the recipe so you can do that.
>>>
>>> 1. Cross out "...Montrachet yeast..." and write in: EC 1118 or
>>> P. Cuvee.
>>>
>>> 2. Drop down to the last paragraph of the instructions and cross
>>> out "...1.010..." and write in: 1.060.
>>>
>>> 3. Cross out "...ferment to dryness..." and write in: Wait until
>>> fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear.
>>> (usually 3 to 6 weeks depending on temperature)
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Frederick
>>>
>>> PS - You can easily convert_any_wine which has adequate body
>>> and intensity of flavor to a port style wine.
>>> 1. Add enough alcohol to bring it up to ~20%ABV.
>>> 2. Add enough sugar to bring the end SG up into the 1.020-1.030
>>> range.
>>> 3. Since the high alcohol pervents refermentation, no sorbate is
>>> required.
>>>
>>> You can do it either way. Have fun. ;o) HTH

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> [...]

>> fermentation is complete and the wine begins to fall clear.
>> (usually 3 to 6 weeks depending on temperature)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Frederick
>>
>> PS - You can easily convert_any_wine which has adequate body
>> and intensity of flavor to a port style wine.
>> 1. Add enough alcohol to bring it up to ~20%ABV.
>> 2. Add enough sugar to bring the end SG up into the 1.020-1.030
>> range.
>> 3. Since the high alcohol pervents refermentation, no sorbate is
>> required.
>>
>> You can do it either way. Have fun. ;o) HTH
>>

>> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
>>> wow! In fact, when I tasted the bold sweet taste, it did remind me of a
>>> port. Since I love ports, I think I will redo my "mistake" and make some
>>> more -- but it was nice of you to explain the below.
>>> I always get wiser reading this newsgroup.

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion Droopy Winemaking 3 05-01-2006 01:44 AM
Oak Elderberry Wine? spud Winemaking 5 30-10-2005 06:47 PM
a dried elderberry pie recipe William R. Watt Preserving 2 08-11-2004 05:17 PM
Recipe for mango wine (from dried mangos) Harry Colquhoun Winemaking 5 15-08-2004 02:19 PM
Enhancing Dried Elderberry JJC Winemaking 2 15-01-2004 02:48 PM