Can a grape vine change?

Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Steve
Usenet poster

Default Can a grape vine change?

How is it possible for a grape vine that produced a white grape
somehow mutate to produce a red grape? My friend had a vine that
produced a small white grape and now 7 years later the same vine is
producing a slightly larger red concord grape. I know it's the same
vine because there is only one trunk and it is stretched out over a
large pergola.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
MikeMTM
Usenet poster

Steve,

Could it be that the original white grape was grafted onto a red
(Concord) rootstock? if a shoot came up from below the graft, and the
upper white stem died back, it would be as you describe.

HTH, mike mtm

Old 13-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Dave Allyn
Usenet poster

Are you POSITIVE it is a concord grape? could it just be a red grape?

Is it possible the grape got cross polinated with a red varity? I
don't know enough about grapes Genetics, to know which is the
dominant, but if red is dominant, and white reccessive, the cross
could very likely come up red.

just a thought....

On 12 Nov 2003 10:52:39 -0800, (Steve) wrote:

How is it possible for a grape vine that produced a white grape
somehow mutate to produce a red grape? My friend had a vine that
produced a small white grape and now 7 years later the same vine is
producing a slightly larger red concord grape. I know it's the same
vine because there is only one trunk and it is stretched out over a
large pergola.

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 14-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Miker
Usenet poster

Dave Allyn wrote in message . ..
Are you POSITIVE it is a concord grape? could it just be a red grape?

Is it possible the grape got cross polinated with a red varity? I
don't know enough about grapes Genetics, to know which is the
dominant, but if red is dominant, and white reccessive, the cross
could very likely come up red.

Cross pollination cannot affect this years crop, it only affects the
seed and therefore the next generation (coming from that seed) so this
particular vine will never see a change in fruit color from
cross-pollination. The change is most likely from the graft as Mike
MTM points out.
Old 14-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Aaron Puhala
Usenet poster

Grapes can and do experience what is called bud mutation. A bud on a given
vine can mutate into something "different" than the vine it is on. This is
most often observed as a shoot on a vine that has different fruit color,
leaf shape, disease resistance, etc. compared to the rest of the vine. It
is possible that the red grape is the result of a mutation of the original
white. One point of interest is that mutations (also called "sports"), if
reproducable by cuttings and shown to be superior in a given trait, can be
patented by the discoverer.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"Michael" wrote in message