Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Runaway grape vine.

While clearing out some shrubs & bushes and I found a grape vine tangled
within the
branches which stretch 10-15 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
bottom.
How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now November
here.
Should it be cut back short or left to the spring and cut back?
How low should it be cut?

TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Mike wrote:

> While clearing out some shrubs & bushes and I found a grape vine tangled
> within the
> branches which stretch 10-15 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
> I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
> bottom.
> How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now November
> here.
> Should it be cut back short or left to the spring and cut back?
> How low should it be cut?
>
> TIA

wait until several weeks before bud break and cut it back then.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 24, 3:20*pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> While clearing out some shrubs & bushes and I found a grape vine tangled
> within the
> branches which stretch 10-15 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
> I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
> bottom.
> How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now November
> here.
> Should it be cut back short or left to the spring and cut back?
> How low should it be cut?
>
> TIA

It depends on where the branches are coming off the main stem. Google
"pruning grape vines" and you'll get a lot of sites with basic
information on them. Once you know how you want them to end up, you
can cut the existing vines and branches to as close an approximation
as possible and maybe save a year or so of growth.

If they're over ten feet long, you'll cut off and throw away most of
them. Better to prune more now than later. The half-joking advice on
how much to prune off is to cut and cut and cut until you're sure
you've killed it; at that point you're half-way done.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Mike;

You really don't know what you have and you won't know until next
spring. Grapes need plenty of sunlight, so that can be done now. They
generally like mulch which protects the roots from dry weather and
from extreme cold, and serves as a natural fertilizer. Be careful of
pruning right now. Early next spring would be better. You didn't say
what state you're from,; that could be important. I prune my grapes
with my apple trees just before spring. Many grape vines can be
damaged from cold, dry winters. Some grapes reproduce from canes
(branches) and others from the buds on those branches. Now, which
type do you have? We don't know. The average bud producing vines uses
around 40 buds per branch. Start counting, so come next spring you
will know where you can prune SOME branches.

Good luck

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The quick and easy method which would set you back one year bu,t give
you total control of the shape of the vine, is to cut the vine back to
the ground in the spring. It will shoot suckers up from the roots.
Drive a very small post ( rebar is perfect for this) close to the cut
trunk and train the 2 best shoots up the stake next year.

On Nov 24, 3:20*pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> While clearing out some shrubs & bushes and I found a grape vine tangled
> within the
> branches which stretch 10-15 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
> I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
> bottom.
> How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now November
> here.
> Should it be cut back short or left to the spring and cut back?
> How low should it be cut?
>
> TIA

grape vine pruning Joseph Toubes Winemaking 4 29-12-2005 07:05 PM
Recommendation of Grape Vine Source Mark - N1MT Winemaking 5 28-09-2004 03:31 PM
Grape Vine Varieties PFS Winemaking 9 30-08-2004 11:18 AM
How many gallons of wine to a grape vine? kenny Winemaking 32 10-06-2004 11:16 PM
Can a grape vine change? Steve Winemaking 5 14-11-2003 04:18 PM