Will

Default Adding Bentonite

I started a kit wine tonight (sauvignon blanc). This is the first
time I've used bentonite. I also have a batch of pear wine that just
went into the secondary fermenter. It is very cloudy. Can I add
bentonite help settle out the pulp?
Patrick McDonald

Yes, you can but wait, wait, wait. If bontonite does strip flavinoids (sp?
and does it truly?), why not wait and see if it does clear itself? Six to
nine months - that is al I ask.

"Will" > wrote in message
> I started a kit wine tonight (sauvignon blanc). This is the first
> time I've used bentonite. I also have a batch of pear wine that just
> went into the secondary fermenter. It is very cloudy. Can I add
> bentonite help settle out the pulp?

J Dixon

Will,
Bentonite is not used so much for it's clearing of wine, (which it will
do to a limited extent) but rather for it's ability to make your wines "hot
stable" meaning they dont get cloudy when the wine is exposed to heat. It
accomplishes this by means of the removal of Protein molecules which by
themselves are very slow to come out of solution as they are very fine. The
bentonite attracts to the Protein attaching to it thereby making it heavy
and causing it to drop out of suspension. There are better agents out there
for clarifying than Bentonite, but be patient and start with time first. HTH
John Dixon
"Will" > wrote in message
> I started a kit wine tonight (sauvignon blanc). This is the first
> time I've used bentonite. I also have a batch of pear wine that just
> went into the secondary fermenter. It is very cloudy. Can I add
> bentonite help settle out the pulp?

Dan

Correct me if I'm wrong.... Kits, like the Cellar Master 28 day ones, use
bentonite for clarification. I think they are just trying to help clarify
the wine as best as possible as fast as possible, since these are quick
wines. When I make a fruit wine, I usually end up leaving it in the carboy
for a long time, since these wines generally need to be aged longer. This
extended time in the carboy results in gravity naturally clearing the wine.
Since you are so early on, I wouldn't add bentonite.

"Will" > wrote in message
> I started a kit wine tonight (sauvignon blanc). This is the first
> time I've used bentonite. I also have a batch of pear wine that just
> went into the secondary fermenter. It is very cloudy. Can I add
> bentonite help settle out the pulp?

bwesley7

I make pear wine every year -- got about 20 gal in secondary now. I've
never used bentonite, or any other fining agent. Just let it sit for a few
months, and it should clear just fine.

Bart

Bentonite Tom[_1_] Winemaking 1 10-05-2008 06:18 AM
Bentonite Drunken Observer Winemaking 7 02-06-2005 02:41 PM
Bentonite Haze [email protected] Winemaking 27 11-03-2005 07:25 PM
Bentonite Juwanna Winemaking 9 10-04-2004 10:43 AM
bentonite Dar V Winemaking 12 02-01-2004 06:28 PM