Translation of Auerman's Borodinsky recipe and some questions aboutmethod.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Translation of Auerman's Borodinsky recipe and some questions aboutmethod.

OK, here's a recent translation I made of Auerman's Borodinsky recipe,
in case it's of use or interest to anyone. You can find the original
at http://www.borodinsky.com/technology...948-410-r.html

Auerman's Borodinsky Recipe
For a loaf weighing between .5 and 1 kg:

Ingredients
Rye flour (95% extraction)--------80
Wheat flour (85% extraction)------15
Red rye malt---------------------- 5
Salt------------------------------ 1
Yeast----------------------------- 0.1
Sugar----------------------------- 6
Syrup----------------------------- 4
Vegetable oil--------------------- 0.05
Coriander------------------------- 0.5
Potato flour---------------------- 0.2
Total----------------------------111.85

3-Stage Process: Scald-Sponge-Dough

1. Scald
Rye flour--------------25 kg
Malt------------------- 5
Coriander-------------- 0.5
Water---------------65-68 liters
Preparation of scald: mix malt and coriander into 7-8 liters of cold

water, add flour, mix and pour in 55-60 liters of boiling water,
mixing

constantly. In 2-2.5 hours mix the scald again for several minutes
and

cool to 35 C.

2. Sponge:
Scald--------------------All
Sour------------------- 15-17 kg
Yeast-------------------- 0.1 kg
Thoroughly mix the sour into the cooled scald and then let it ferment
for

around 4 hours.
Note: older, mature dough is used as the sour. Or the following
mixture

can be made:
Mature dough------------------ 5 kg
Rye flour--------------------- 5 kg
Water------------------------5-7 kg
This sour should ferment for around 5 hours at 27-29 C.
(Translator's note: the sour has a hydration of 100-140.)

3. Dough
Sponge------------------------All
Salt------------------------- 1 kg
Sugar------------------------ 6 kg
Syrup------------------------ 4 kg
Rye flour (95 extraction)-----55 kg
Wheat flour (85 extraction)---15 kg

Dough temperature should be 30 C and after 10-30 minutes it can be
formed

into loaves.

Loaves are elongated and smoothed with wet hands, then placed on
boards

that have been sprinkled with flour and left to stand for 15-20
minutes.

After standing and before going into the oven, the loaves are coated
with

a wheat flour and water mixture and sprinkled with coriander.

The loaves are first put in a 320-350 C. oven for 4-6 minutes and are

finished up at 240-250 C. The surface is made shiny by coating with a

starch mixture.

Aside from the use of a tiny amount of yeast, which I just omit, two
things bother me about this recipe:

1. One quarter of the flour is put into the scald (zavarka). Others
(e.g. Royter) only use 16% and I use around 8% myself, to avoid
ruining the crumb.

2. After forming the loaves, they are put into the over after only 20
minutes. I wait much longer than that.

Ron