Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Borodinsky bread revisited

After baking (my version of) rye bread successfully for the past 18
months, I have now reached the point at which I stand an even chance of
making an edible Borodinsky bread.

The details of how that is done were posted to this NG several years ago
and contained the following advice:

| Add to the mixture 50g of ground rye malt and 3g freshly ground
| coriander. Rye malt is sold as a grain at homebrew stores. Ask not to
| crush: it is better to coarsely grind it before adding to flour-water
| mix.

Translating this advice to the local (Australian) scene is beyond my
abilities.

"rye malt" is not available.

"Malted barley" comes in two versions:

1. The whole grain, used by expert beer-brewers in the mashes from which
they extract a brown liquid that turns into beer after fermentation;

and

2. malt concentrate (in cans) which amateur beer-brewers mix with sugar
water and yeast and then ferment into a drinkable brew.

Neither of these sound remotely like the "rye malt" sold in (US) homebrew
stores.

All <advice | comments> will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Felix wrote:
> "rye malt" is not available.
>

> 1. The whole grain, used by expert beer-brewers in the mashes from which
> they extract a brown liquid that turns into beer after fermentation;

It sure sounds like that is the one they want you to get then course
grind yourself since that is what the recipe calls for. I have malted
whole rye grain myself....I can't recall who told me how...it may have
been on this NG...I think I soaked whole rye grain then slow roasted
it...they I ground it with my grain mill.

I have since bought malted grain as well as powder at a brewer supply
store. I am sure they have the same choices in Australia. I bought
some belgian..and others dark and medium....just to add to my bread,
mainly for browning, I think.

Lucy

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:43:21 +0000, Trix wrote:

> Felix wrote:
>> "rye malt" is not available.
>>

>> 1. The whole grain, used by expert beer-brewers in the mashes from
>> which
>> they extract a brown liquid that turns into beer after fermentation;

> It sure sounds like that is the one they want you to get then course
> grind yourself since that is what the recipe calls for.

Thank you.

> I have malted whole rye grain myself....I can't recall who told me how..

I think the instructions are in my "Home-Brewing Manual". But I am an
amateur and use the stuff that comes in cans :-(.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

A couple of us use the whole malted grain (barley or rye), and grind
it in a food processor or coffee mill. I like rye malt or matis
offer. It works great for Borodinsky. Worst case scenario, just buy
anything that's malt flavored and use some of that.