Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pass the Zantac!

Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
total wuss. So be it.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ross@home wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
> total wuss. So be it.

good stuff to have to add to a batch of chili
or goulash or even a bbq sauce.

heat tolerance can be regained a little at a
time.

but by all means if you wish to remove the
offending jars i'd be happy to give them a good
home.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2011 9:31 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
> total wuss. So be it.
>
> Ross.

Can you tone the salsa down as you use it with chopped (fresh or canned)
tomatoes? Or even sour cream?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2011 10:31 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
> total wuss. So be it.
>
> Ross.

I'm with you Ross, can't handle the hot stuff anymore either. I seldom
make salsa but when I do my kids call it "sissy" salsa as it isn't hot
at all.

Unfortunately we have gotten very few tomatoes or chiles this year due
to the two-year drought we're still suffering from. Hardly any figs,
miniscule amounts of plums and peaches, the Japanese persimmon dropped
all its fruit and the blackberry vines did nothing. We have a total of
five quince on the St. John's quince and I'm not sure they will be any
good. We look to have a bumper crop of kumquats again but I don't think
you can kill a kumquat tree short of chopping it down and burning it.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:14:54 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 8/26/2011 9:31 AM, Ross@home wrote:
>> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
>> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
>> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
>> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
>> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
>> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
>> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
>> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
>> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
>> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
>> total wuss. So be it.
>>
>> Ross.

>Can you tone the salsa down as you use it with chopped (fresh or canned)
>tomatoes? Or even sour cream?
>
>gloria p

I'll definitely be diluting it and the sour cream will be at the
ready. I still really like "hot" food but, it hates me, or at least
hates my stomach.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:51:37 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Ross@home wrote:
>
>> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
>> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
>> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
>> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
>> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
>> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
>> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
>> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
>> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
>> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
>> total wuss. So be it.

> good stuff to have to add to a batch of chili
>or goulash or even a bbq sauce.

I'm sure that's where some of it will find its destiny.

> heat tolerance can be regained a little at a
>time.

As long as I can remember I've enjoyed hot, meaning spicy food but, it
seems the older I get, the more my stomach complains (I'll be 77 in
about 6 weeks). I can still handle quite a bit more than some folks,
my brother says his wife thinks ketchup is too hot ;-).

> but by all means if you wish to remove the
>offending jars i'd be happy to give them a good
>home.

If you were reasonably close I'd give you some.

Ross
Near Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ross@home wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>>Ross@home wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
>>> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
>>> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
>>> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
>>> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
>>> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
>>> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
>>> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
>>> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
>>> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
>>> total wuss. So be it.

>> good stuff to have to add to a batch of chili
>>or goulash or even a bbq sauce.

> I'm sure that's where some of it will find its destiny.

>> heat tolerance can be regained a little at a
>>time.

> As long as I can remember I've enjoyed hot, meaning spicy food but, it
> seems the older I get, the more my stomach complains (I'll be 77 in
> about 6 weeks). I can still handle quite a bit more than some folks,
> my brother says his wife thinks ketchup is too hot ;-).

funny black pepper (ok, more sad to me
because i love black pepper on cottage
cheese and mac-n-cheese) bothers me more
than red or green chili does, but ketchup?!
wow...

i've been raised on spicy food, but the
first hot food i had was from a chinese place
(mongolian beef with those small red chili
peppers). we still go there once or twice
a month. then my sister married a guy who
had family in Santa Fe and i visited and
discovered green chili cheese burgers, green
chili stew and red chili stew (no tomato used
in this, just garlic, fresh roasted red chili,
flour, meat some water and a little salt) and...
dang my mouth is watering.

>> but by all means if you wish to remove the
>>offending jars i'd be happy to give them a good
>>home.

> If you were reasonably close I'd give you some.

that would go great with some runny grape jam,
but i'm too far away from you.

we are putting up three buckets of tomatoes
sometime today. a lot are two or more pounds
each -- had to take pictures and weigh one
that came in at three pounds, but it broke
when i picked it. grr. good thing we just
picked up a few more cases of jars. we'll
probably need a few more after these too.
still a lot of fruit out there that's turning.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:24:24 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 8/26/2011 10:31 AM, Ross@home wrote:
>> Yesterday afternoon Gerry and I made a quadrupled batch (twenty
>> 500ml jars) of what was supposed to be "spicy" salsa. All produce was
>> from our own garden. Our hot peppers have obviously enjoyed this hot
>> dry summer. We used the amount called for in the recipe but, I think
>> NASA's space program could use this salsa as rocket fuel. My old
>> stomach can't take near the amount of "hot" that it could years ago so
>> a lot of this stuff will have to be used by folks who can handle it.
>> We'll probably make another small batch in the next day or two and cut
>> waaaaay back on the hot peppers.
>> Gerry thinks this batch is not too bad and she says I'm turning into a
>> total wuss. So be it.
>>
>> Ross.

>I'm with you Ross, can't handle the hot stuff anymore either. I seldom
>make salsa but when I do my kids call it "sissy" salsa as it isn't hot
>at all.

We'll probably be making a batch of that in the next few days.

>Unfortunately we have gotten very few tomatoes or chiles this year due
>to the two-year drought we're still suffering from. Hardly any figs,
>miniscule amounts of plums and peaches, the Japanese persimmon dropped
>all its fruit and the blackberry vines did nothing. We have a total of
>five quince on the St. John's quince and I'm not sure they will be any
>good. We look to have a bumper crop of kumquats again but I don't think
>you can kill a kumquat tree short of chopping it down and burning it.
>
>George

We don't farm anymore, just rent out the land. The fellow we had for
many years used to pasture 30 head of cattle here and their water was
all supplied by our well. That fellow died and the one who now rents
only puts in between 8 and 10 head. I figure some of the water that
would have been used by those extra 20+ head of cattle we can now
afford to put on the garden. (One can rationalize anything.)
We've had a terribly hot and dry summer but, with the underground drip
irrigation we're using, much of the garden is doing not too bad.
Can't say that for the fruit trees though. Very few peaches and the
few there was were about the size of apricots. Dolgo crab apples the
size of sour cherries. No apples at all.
Oh well, maybe next year.

Ross.

Could not pass it up Ema Nymton General Cooking 42 10-08-2014 08:34 PM
FooD And Time Pass amberdorsch123 Barbecue 6 28-12-2012 07:52 PM
Pass extra sauce? ceed[_3_] Barbecue 15 17-06-2010 06:55 PM
Please pass the...? (first thing that comes to mind!) Lass Chance_2 General Cooking 0 23-12-2008 03:58 PM