Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pass extra sauce?

Hi,

I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a book
the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the 60s.

One of the recipes says:

"Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
Pass extra sauce."

What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.va0ka4pb325jvr@christian-laptop...
> Hi,
>
> I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a book
> the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the 60s.
>
> One of the recipes says:
>
> "Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
> at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
> Pass extra sauce."
>
> What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

It does leave something to the imagination, but I think it means make extra
sauce that you do not put on the raw chicken, then pass it around once the
chicken is cooked.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:55:42 -0500, ceed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a book
> the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the 60s.
>
> One of the recipes says:
>
> "Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
> at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
> Pass extra sauce."
>
> What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

Do the first 5 ingredients make a sauce?

Bear in mind that cooking and recipes have come a long way in the
last 40 years. I can't imagine pouring a sauce over a whole chicken
before baking. Less than 5% of that sauce is going to stick tot he
chicken, the rest will be an oily, probably burned mess on the
bottom of the pan. Unless they had flat chickens in the 60's.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:17:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

> Do the first 5 ingredients make a sauce?

Yes, they do.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a book
>the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the 60s.
>
>One of the recipes says:
>
>"Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
>at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
>Pass extra sauce."
>
>What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

Sounds southern. Am I correct when I say that the chicken was cut up
into pieces?

What it means here IMHO is to pass the remaining sauce from the pan to
each person so they may add it to their dish, over their chicken.

The sauce should be safe, assuming I am correct in my 1st question.

Also need to know what the 1st 5 ingredients are to be sure.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reggie" > wrote in message

> "ceed" > wrote in message
> newsp.va0ka4pb325jvr@christian-laptop...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a book
>> the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the
>> 60s.
>>
>> One of the recipes says:
>>
>> "Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
>> at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
>> Pass extra sauce."
>>
>> What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

> It does leave something to the imagination, but I think it means make
> extra sauce that you do not put on the raw chicken, then pass it around
> once the chicken is cooked.

I agree but would like to know what the 1st five ingrediants were before
saying that's that 'sauce'.

--
regards, piedmont (Mike)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:09:53 -0500, Gene > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:55:42 -0500, ceed >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have gotten quite a few older bbq and grill recipes collected in a
>> book
>> the now deceased grand father of a friend of mine put together in the
>> 60s.
>>
>> One of the recipes says:
>>
>> "Mix first five ingredients and pour over chicken in roasting pan. Roast
>> at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste often. Serve with rice.
>> Pass extra sauce."
>>
>> What does "pass extra sauce" mean? Do I pass it around or pass on it?

> Sounds southern. Am I correct when I say that the chicken was cut up
> into pieces?
>
> What it means here IMHO is to pass the remaining sauce from the pan to
> each person so they may add it to their dish, over their chicken.
>
> The sauce should be safe, assuming I am correct in my 1st question.
>
> Also need to know what the 1st 5 ingredients are to be sure.

I should have posted that in the first place. Here it is:

1 lb. orange marmalade
1 tbs. soy sauce (or a bit more if it's mild)
6 cloves crushed garlic (more if you're up to it)
6 pieces candied ginger (mince)
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (with some pulp).

and then there's the chicken.

2 fryer chickens (cut in 4ths or 8ths). I used two packs of leg quarters.

I made this yesterday and it turned out wonderful. Best chicken I've had
in ages! The orange marmalade was home made from Seville oranges I found
at Central Market here in Austin.

Seems more Asian that Southern

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 12, 5:52*pm, ceed > wrote:

> Seems more Asian that Southern

Wow, it really does. It reminds me of all the old "Asian Glazed
Chicken" recipes that floated around a lot in the 60s and 70s when
folks put their chickens on the rotisseries as the way to cook
outdoors.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:52:27 -0500, ceed wrote:

> 1 lb. orange marmalade
> 1 tbs. soy sauce (or a bit more if it's mild)
> 6 cloves crushed garlic (more if you're up to it)
> 6 pieces candied ginger (mince)
> 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (with some pulp).

They had crystalized ginger in the 1960's?

I guess so. But it surprises the shit out of me.

Soy sauce, too?

That some pretty extravagant shit for the 60's! ;-)

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:35:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:52:27 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> 1 lb. orange marmalade
>> 1 tbs. soy sauce (or a bit more if it's mild)
>> 6 cloves crushed garlic (more if you're up to it)
>> 6 pieces candied ginger (mince)
>> 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (with some pulp).

> They had crystalized ginger in the 1960's?
>
> I guess so. But it surprises the shit out of me.
>
> Soy sauce, too?
>
> That some pretty extravagant shit for the 60's! ;-)

I remember Kikkoman soy sauce from back then. They have sold Soy sauce in
the US since the late 50s. And the ginger, my grandmother always had that
I remember. She also had ginger filled chocolates she used to give me when
I visited.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

now there's a recipe worth having, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.va6ny0y7wdnmrx@christian-laptop...
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:35:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:52:27 -0500, ceed wrote:
>>
>>> 1 lb. orange marmalade
>>> 1 tbs. soy sauce (or a bit more if it's mild)
>>> 6 cloves crushed garlic (more if you're up to it)
>>> 6 pieces candied ginger (mince)
>>> 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (with some pulp).

>> They had crystalized ginger in the 1960's?
>>
>> I guess so. But it surprises the shit out of me.
>>
>> Soy sauce, too?
>>
>> That some pretty extravagant shit for the 60's! ;-)

> I remember Kikkoman soy sauce from back then. They have sold Soy sauce in
> the US since the late 50s. And the ginger, my grandmother always had that
> I remember. She also had ginger filled chocolates she used to give me when
> I visited.
>>
>> -sw

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:30:12 -0500, Stormmee >
wrote:

> now there's a recipe worth having, Lee

Pretty good stuff, especially if you, as I recently did, get hold of
Seville Oranges (you do not see them much these days) and make your own
bitter orange marmalade.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i love the chicken recipe but i meant the ginger filled chocolates, Lee,
ginger junkie
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vega1fc8325jvr@christian-laptop...
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:30:12 -0500, Stormmee >
> wrote:
>
>> now there's a recipe worth having, Lee

> Pretty good stuff, especially if you, as I recently did, get hold of
> Seville Oranges (you do not see them much these days) and make your own
> bitter orange marmalade.
>
>> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> newsp.va6ny0y7wdnmrx@christian-laptop...

>>> I remember Kikkoman soy sauce from back then. They have sold Soy sauce
>>> in
>>> the US since the late 50s. And the ginger, my grandmother always had
>>> that
>>> I remember. She also had ginger filled chocolates she used to give me
>>> when
>>> I visited.

>>> --
>>> //ceed

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:42:18 -0500, Stormmee >
wrote:

> i love the chicken recipe but i meant the ginger filled chocolates, Lee,
> ginger junkie

I grew up on those chocolates. They weren't home made and came from
England as far as I recall. As a kid I thought they tasted weird at first,
but when I got used to them I loved them and anything gingery ever since!

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

waaa but i want some, Lee