Nobody but us chickens

Default 2 JELLY QUESTIONS

1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods canning
guide that didn't look too old. it said for jelly to seal with paraffin,
isn't that a bit dangerous?
I remember when I was a kid eating blackberry jam sealed with it but I think
I would be a bit nervous.
2nd question, years ago I remember seeing jelly instructions using bottled
juice
to make jelly with, i think you used unsweetened. any body have the
instructions?
thanks

Brian Mailman

Nobody but us chickens wrote:

> 1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods canning
> guide that didn't look too old. it said for jelly to seal with paraffin,
> isn't that a bit dangerous?

Not dangerous per se (cf, "dangerous" meaning botulism or something),
but after a while the jelly can mold. It's not recommended any more and
I don't do it as of two years ago. BWB (boiling water bath process) the
jars.

> 2nd question, years ago I remember seeing jelly instructions using bottled
> juice to make jelly with, i think you used unsweetened. any body have the
> instructions?

I'd get a package of powedered pectin and look at the instructions that
come in the box--you'd just be skipping the step of making the juice.

B/
Wayne

"Nobody but us chickens" > wrote in
:

> 1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods
> canning guide that didn't look too old. it said for jelly to seal with
> paraffin, isn't that a bit dangerous?

Using paraffin to seal jelly has not been an approved method for years.
Using properly sterilized jars and lids and processing in a boiling
water bath for the time specified for the recipe is the current correct
and safe method.

Having said that, I personally use the inversion method most of the
time.

> I remember when I was a kid eating blackberry jam sealed with it but I
> think I would be a bit nervous.
> 2nd question, years ago I remember seeing jelly instructions using
> bottled juice
> to make jelly with, i think you used unsweetened. any body have the
> instructions?
> thanks

If you're using Sure-Jel or Certo, you can follow the recipes from the
point where juice is made from fresh fruit. Use the specified
measurements and product.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

"Nobody but us chickens" > wrote in
:

> 1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods
> canning guide that didn't look too old. it said for jelly to seal with
> paraffin, isn't that a bit dangerous?

Using paraffin to seal jelly has not been an approved method for years.
Using properly sterilized jars and lids and processing in a boiling
water bath for the time specified for the recipe is the current correct
and safe method.

Having said that, I personally use the inversion method most of the
time.

> I remember when I was a kid eating blackberry jam sealed with it but I
> think I would be a bit nervous.
> 2nd question, years ago I remember seeing jelly instructions using
> bottled juice
> to make jelly with, i think you used unsweetened. any body have the
> instructions?
> thanks

If you're using Sure-Jel or Certo, you can follow the recipes from the
point where juice is made from fresh fruit. Use the specified
measurements and product.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Nobody but us
chickens" > wrote:

> 1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods
> canning guide that didn't look too old.

What's the copyright information? I've heard it said that anything more
than 10 years old should be checked for updated info.

>it said for jelly to seal with paraffin, isn't that a bit dangerous?

Rationale: pinholes or cracks in the paraffin can allow mold spores to
enter the jelly and reproduce. Long term harm of mold isn't entirely
known; there are some that are known to cause cancer in animals, but
tests and research (AFAIK) haven't been done w/re to humans.

The proper way is to process in a boiling water bath.

>I remember when I was a kid eating blackberry jam sealed

No blackberries at my house; we ate raspberry jam.

> with it but I think I would be a bit
> nervous. 2nd question, years ago I remember seeing jelly instructions
> using bottled juice to make jelly with, i think you used unsweetened.
> any body have the instructions?

At least one of the pectin products I'm familiar with (I'm thinking
Sure€Jell) has instructions for making jelly from commercially bottled
juices.

> thanks

You're welcome.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >it said for jelly to seal with paraffin, isn't that a bit dangerous?

> Rationale: pinholes or cracks in the paraffin can allow mold spores to
> enter the jelly and reproduce. Long term harm of mold isn't entirely
> known; there are some that are known to cause cancer in animals, but
> tests and research (AFAIK) haven't been done w/re to humans.

Not only are the molds dangerous, especially to allergy-prone people, but
the by-products of some molds (mold poop?) produce toxins, which are also
dangerous. Why reheating moldy food won't necessarily get rid of all the
baddies. From the website somebody quoted here recently. Univ of Georgia?

Edrena

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >it said for jelly to seal with paraffin, isn't that a bit dangerous?

> Rationale: pinholes or cracks in the paraffin can allow mold spores to
> enter the jelly and reproduce. Long term harm of mold isn't entirely
> known; there are some that are known to cause cancer in animals, but
> tests and research (AFAIK) haven't been done w/re to humans.

Not only are the molds dangerous, especially to allergy-prone people, but
the by-products of some molds (mold poop?) produce toxins, which are also
dangerous. Why reheating moldy food won't necessarily get rid of all the
baddies. From the website somebody quoted here recently. Univ of Georgia?

Edrena

The Cook

"Nobody but us chickens" > wrote:

>1st question, at a local just store I picked up a general foods canning
>guide that didn't look too old. it said for jelly to seal with paraffin,
>isn't that a bit dangerous?
>I remember when I was a kid eating blackberry jam sealed with it but I think
>I would be a bit nervous.

I quit using paraffin when I saw the parade of ants helping themselves
to my jams and jellies.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

The Cook

More Jelly The Cook Preserving 2 23-08-2013 04:16 AM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM