Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Season a non-stick wok?

I bought a non-stick wok yesterday, and there are no instructions
inside about seasoning it. Should I not season the wok as it would
damage the non stick surface?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:24:11 -0800, Michael O'Connor wrote:

> I bought a non-stick wok yesterday, and there are no instructions
> inside about seasoning it. Should I not season the wok as it would
> damage the non stick surface?

Take it back. You need to "super heat" a wok to get the desired results.

You want something like this.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...l_handles.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Take it back. You need to "super heat" a wok to get the desired results.

Quick question? I noticed you did your shrimp (prawns) in a wok - and
it looked like you had a gas range..... Do you have a special burner
for your wok, or just a "standard" one? We have a "heavy duty" burner
that we can use outside, but inside we only have electric. Just
curious.. Thanks

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:43:00 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

> jay wrote:
>
>> Take it back. You need to "super heat" a wok to get the desired results.

> Do you have a special burner
> for your wok, or just a "standard" one? We have a "heavy duty" burner
> that we can use outside, but inside we only have electric. Just
> curious.. Thanks
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

I don't have a special burner, just a standard natural gas burner. We
bought a "fixer upper" and the problem with the kitchen is that the
cooktop and ovens are older but show no wear. The lower oven does not
look like it was ever used. So with all the other things to do it is hard
to justify ditching the oldies. Eventually we will change the cook top
and high BTU burners will be a definite priority.

I have used a wok on an electric burner with a wok ring. I think the ring
helps a little directing the heat and for sure adds to the stability.
Get the wok hot..I mean turn it on full blast and go have a beer. Keep
the batches small, don't overload it, and utilize the contour of the wok
for "dragging" back near done items to allow the heat to recover.

Your heavy duty burner sounds like it would work well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> I have used a wok on an electric burner with a wok ring. I think the ring
> helps a little directing the heat and for sure adds to the stability.
> Get the wok hot..I mean turn it on full blast and go have a beer. Keep
> the batches small, don't overload it, and utilize the contour of the wok
> for "dragging" back near done items to allow the heat to recover.

Never tried a wok ring.. we have one of those electric woks - I know, I
know.... We do use it often, tho' - not just for stir-fry, but for
all sorts of stuff - curries especially...

> Your heavy duty burner sounds like it would work well.

Yep it does indeed. We use it to get oil really hot for deep-frying -
we made deep-fried pork last weekend - was great. Another "goodie" we
have is a mild-steel plate (about 1cm thick) that we heat up on the
burner for doing steak and sometimes prawns - but they cook real quick,
so you have to be careful...
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:34:42 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

Another "goodie" we
> have is a mild-steel plate (about 1cm thick) that we heat up on the
> burner for doing steak and sometimes prawns - but they cook real quick,
> so you have to be careful...
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

That is interesting. I have 14 x 18 inch piece of 3/8 inch stainless
steel plate that we use for similar purposes. That is one of my favorite
cooking surfaces. You can't beat a HOT griddle for a lot of things.

non stick pan sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 03-08-2010 09:51 PM
non stick pan peter General Cooking 19 21-07-2007 06:18 PM
Non stick pan Terry[_1_] General Cooking 18 05-03-2007 09:58 PM
Dalmatian tourist season late, growing season full-on johnjgoddard.com General Cooking 3 07-07-2006 06:23 PM
Calphalon Pro non-stick ii vs commercial non-stick? Bill Cooking Equipment 7 19-11-2003 09:34 PM