microwave a runny egg yolk?

Old 04-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Brandon Van Every
Usenet poster

Default microwave a runny egg yolk?

Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end up
hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny. Is there
some trick?

Thanks,
Brandon Van Every

Old 04-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Nancree
Usenet poster

Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end up
hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny. Is there
some trick?

------------------------------
I put a plastic microwave dishcover (Walmart) over the egg while cooking. It
holds some of the steam in and helps cook the yolk.
Nancree

Old 04-04-2004, 02:13 AM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end up
hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny. Is there
some trick?

Yeah, cook them in a frying pan on the stove. The only way eggs are good
cooked in a microwave is if they're scrambled.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
Usenet poster

"Brandon Van Every" wrote in
message ...
Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end up
hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny. Is there
some trick?

Due to the way microwaves cook, it will be very difficult to do that. In a
pan, the white is getting more heat and cooks faster; in a mw, it is all
getting zapped equally.
Ed

Old 04-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Ken Davey
Usenet poster

Brandon Van Every wrote:
Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end
up hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny.
Is there some trick?

Thanks,
Brandon Van Every

Eggs are one if the things that won't cook properly in the microwave. The
fat in the yolk absorbs energy faster than the water in the whites.
Rgards.
Ken

Old 05-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Brandon J. Van Every
Usenet poster

[Art Gang! also receives this gratuitously, in a tradition of odd recipes
from a nunce.]

Ken Davey wrote:

Eggs are one if the things that won't cook properly in the microwave.
The fat in the yolk absorbs energy faster than the water in the
whites. Rgards.

You ain't kiddin'! I've been doing Egg Research [TM]. In my microwave, I
find that it can take 3 minutes (!) to completely cook the whites of a
single jumbo egg, whereas it only takes 30+ seconds to cook the yolk. I've
tried all sorts of tricks, hoping that spreading the whites out in a thin
layer would help with cooking them, and covering the egg on a plate to get a
steam effect. I haven't perfected my techniques yet, but here's where I'm
at currently.

Crack a "Grade A Jumbo" egg at the middle as cleanly as you can. A sharp
rap on a hard surface usually does the trick; one must crack with confidence
to get a clean break. Empty the whites onto a plate with a little bit of
depth to it. Keep the yolk inside half the shell. Most of the whites will
slide right out of the egg, but some will remain around the yolk. You can
use the soft tip of your finger to keep the yolk from spilling out as you
try to drain whatever last bits of white you can. Don't poke the yolk with
your fingernail, and don't let the yolk hit the sharp edges of the shell.
You can get almost all of the egg white out onto the plate this way.

Do this for enough eggs that you've got an even depth of egg white on the
plate. Keep all the yolks in half-shells in your egg carton for later use.

Cover the plate and nuke it for X minutes until the egg whites are
*completely* cooked. I don't know what X will be in your microwave. In
mine, it took 3 minutes just for the whites of 1 egg, and parts of those
whites got badly overcooked. Egg whites have this annoying tendency not to
cook evenly, there's usually a "hole of goop" at the center that needs more
cooking time. Haven't quite found a way to deal with that, I'm working on
it. I hope that an even depth of whites across the plate will make it less
of a problem; maybe I'll have to spread the goop out with a fork, then cook
again. Anyways, the point is you're cooking all the whites separately. Do
whatever it takes to get that job done; this is a subject of further Egg
Research [TM]!

I emphasize the egg whites must be *completely* cooked. They are darned
stubborn to cook, and if you don't get 'em cooked, you're going to ruin your
yolks trying to get that last bit of white cooked.

Ok, now plop your raw egg yolks on top of the cooked egg whites. Don't
break 'em, slide 'em out nicely from their half-shells. Shouldn't be a big
deal, just do it with confidence. Worry is what breaks the yolks! Cook the
whole ensemble for Y minutes. Y is probably 35 seconds in my microwave for
1 jumbo egg yolk - far, far less time than it took to cook the whites.

Now you've got microwaved "fried" eggs, sunny side up! Mmm. Egg Research
[TM] !

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
- anonymous entrepreneur

Old 06-04-2004, 06:11 AM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

[...]

By the time you go to all that trouble you could have easily fried them in a
skillet on the stove.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Brandon Van Every
Usenet poster

DJS0302 wrote:

By the time you go to all that trouble you could have easily fried
them in a skillet on the stove.

But then I would have oil spatters on my stove, and a pan to clean. Plus
you have to transfer the eggs out of the pan. With the microwave method, I
can cook the eggs right on the dish I'm going to eat off of. And, no extra
oil in your food, if you care about that (I don't). One less thing to clean
(matters to people who don't have a dishwasher.) Plus I'm not sure, but
even with the futzing the cooking time may be faster. And, if I can perfect
the egg whites part of the problem, the cooking will be perfectly
controlled. I'll always know it's exactly 2 minutes for X amount of egg
whites or whatever. I've got the time down pat for the yolks at least,
they're easy.

There is also the intellectual satisfaction of knowing how to do something
that others think can't be done. :-)

I microwave almost everything. The only things I don't microwave are things
that I boil or toast.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Old 08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Kajikit
Usenet poster

Brandon Van Every had something important to tell us on Sat, 3 Apr
2004 15:01:46 -0800:

Hi! Recently discovered eggs. I've been trying to nuke 'em in my
microwave. Well, I succeed in nukeing 'em, but the yolks usually end up
hard. Can't seem to get the whites cooked and the yolks runny. Is there
some trick?

Buy a microwave egg poacher. It's not perfect but with the white piled
up around the yolk it shields it from the microwaves, so you can end
up with a cooked white and a runny yolk. I don't really like the taste
of microwaved eggs (they're a bit sulphury) but I used to eat them all
the time because they were very quick and easy.

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 2 April 2004 - 61 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com