Brandon J. Van Every

Default microwave a runny egg yolk?

[Art Gang! also receives this gratuitously, in a tradition of odd recipes
from a nunce.]

Ken Davey wrote:

> Eggs are one if the things that won't cook properly in the microwave.
> The fat in the yolk absorbs energy faster than the water in the
> whites. Rgards.

You ain't kiddin'! I've been doing Egg Research [TM]. In my microwave, I
find that it can take 3 minutes (!) to completely cook the whites of a
single jumbo egg, whereas it only takes 30+ seconds to cook the yolk. I've
tried all sorts of tricks, hoping that spreading the whites out in a thin
layer would help with cooking them, and covering the egg on a plate to get a
steam effect. I haven't perfected my techniques yet, but here's where I'm
at currently.

Crack a "Grade A Jumbo" egg at the middle as cleanly as you can. A sharp
rap on a hard surface usually does the trick; one must crack with confidence
to get a clean break. Empty the whites onto a plate with a little bit of
depth to it. Keep the yolk inside half the shell. Most of the whites will
slide right out of the egg, but some will remain around the yolk. You can
use the soft tip of your finger to keep the yolk from spilling out as you
try to drain whatever last bits of white you can. Don't poke the yolk with
your fingernail, and don't let the yolk hit the sharp edges of the shell.
You can get almost all of the egg white out onto the plate this way.

Do this for enough eggs that you've got an even depth of egg white on the
plate. Keep all the yolks in half-shells in your egg carton for later use.

Cover the plate and nuke it for X minutes until the egg whites are
*completely* cooked. I don't know what X will be in your microwave. In
mine, it took 3 minutes just for the whites of 1 egg, and parts of those
whites got badly overcooked. Egg whites have this annoying tendency not to
cook evenly, there's usually a "hole of goop" at the center that needs more
cooking time. Haven't quite found a way to deal with that, I'm working on
it. I hope that an even depth of whites across the plate will make it less
of a problem; maybe I'll have to spread the goop out with a fork, then cook
again. Anyways, the point is you're cooking all the whites separately. Do
whatever it takes to get that job done; this is a subject of further Egg
Research [TM]!

I emphasize the egg whites must be *completely* cooked. They are darned
stubborn to cook, and if you don't get 'em cooked, you're going to ruin your
yolks trying to get that last bit of white cooked.

Ok, now plop your raw egg yolks on top of the cooked egg whites. Don't
break 'em, slide 'em out nicely from their half-shells. Shouldn't be a big
deal, just do it with confidence. Worry is what breaks the yolks! Cook the
whole ensemble for Y minutes. Y is probably 35 seconds in my microwave for
1 jumbo egg yolk - far, far less time than it took to cook the whites.

Now you've got microwaved "fried" eggs, sunny side up! Mmm. Egg Research
[TM] !

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
- anonymous entrepreneur