Zspider

Default Why is my frosting runny?

Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
them for exactly that.

Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?

I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.

Thanks, Michael
CJB

previously in rfc, (Zspider) wrote:

> Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
> I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
> cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
> between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
> vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
> was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
> still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
> the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
> the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
> them for exactly that.
>
> Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
> that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?
>
> I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
> doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.
>
> Thanks, Michael

It might just be that you have a bum recipe. I've not made any frostings
that have corn syrup in them - not saying they aren't standard or
commonplace but I've never made one. Here's a good brownie frosting that I
use:

3*tablespoons*butter, softened
3*tablespoons*unsweetened cocoa powder
1*tablespoon*honey
1 1/2*teaspoons*vanilla extract
1*cup*confectioners sugar

Mix together! I use the stand mixer to get it very smooth. You can thin
it with a drop or two of milk or water. I don't recall that it really
needs that, though. Frost while brownies are warm.

-Claudia

Katra

In article >,
(Zspider) wrote:

> Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
> I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
> cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
> between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
> vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
> was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
> still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
> the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
> the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
> them for exactly that.
>
> Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
> that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?
>
> I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
> doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.
>
> Thanks, Michael

Timing cooking fudge or candy does not work. :-)
Find a recipe that uses temps instead of times, then get a good candy
thermometer.

Mom taught me to cook fudge to the "soft ball" stage.
Keep a glass of cold water next to the stove and when the fudge starts
to boil, drop a single drop of the fudge mix into the cold water once
per minute. You can tell when it is ready to set up when it reaches the
"soft ball" stage.

If it is not ready, it flattens out when it hits the water. When it is
ready, it forms a ball.

As soon as that happens, take the pan off of the stove and have another
shallow pan of ice water ready. Carefully insert your hot pan into the
container of ice water and continue beating the fudge until it cools and
begins to set up, then QUICKLY frost the cake or whatever before it
totally cools off.

Hope this helps?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
(Zspider) wrote:

> Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
> I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
> cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
> between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
> vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
> was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
> still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
> the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
> the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
> them for exactly that.
>
> Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
> that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?
>
> I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
> doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.
>
> Thanks, Michael

Timing cooking fudge or candy does not work. :-)
Find a recipe that uses temps instead of times, then get a good candy
thermometer.

Mom taught me to cook fudge to the "soft ball" stage.
Keep a glass of cold water next to the stove and when the fudge starts
to boil, drop a single drop of the fudge mix into the cold water once
per minute. You can tell when it is ready to set up when it reaches the
"soft ball" stage.

If it is not ready, it flattens out when it hits the water. When it is
ready, it forms a ball.

As soon as that happens, take the pan off of the stove and have another
shallow pan of ice water ready. Carefully insert your hot pan into the
container of ice water and continue beating the fudge until it cools and
begins to set up, then QUICKLY frost the cake or whatever before it
totally cools off.

Hope this helps?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Nexis

"Zspider" > wrote in message
om...
> Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
> I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
> cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
> between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
> vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
> was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
> still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
> the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
> the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
> them for exactly that.
>
> Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
> that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?
>
> I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
> doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.
>
> Thanks, Michael

It would be easier to tell what went wrong if you posted the whole recipe.
3/4 cup of powdered sugar isn't going to take much liquid.
An easy frosting if you like the fudge kind is to take 1/2 stick of butter
and melt it with 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
Add to 2 cups powdered sugar, adding a little coffee or hot water if it's
too thick.
For grasshopper brownies, I made Barb's brownies, then made a cream cheese
frosting that I added peppermint (you can use spearmint) oil to, and a bit
of crème de menthe. Then I made a firm ganache and added that over the mint.
What did you use?

HTH,

kimberly

Nexis

"Zspider" > wrote in message
om...
> Newbie here. I made fudge frosting for my brownies and it's runny.
> I believe it's a standard type of frosting recipe, made from sugar,
> cocoa, milk, butter, and corn syrup. After cooling it said to mix
> between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in, along with some
> vanilla. I mixed the maximum amount of powdered sugar in but it
> was runny. I put it in the refrigerator to thicken it, but it
> still ended up runny. What did I do wrong? I'm fairly strict with
> the amounts, so I think I was close on that, and it said to boil
> the first ingredients for 3 minutes and I set the timer and boiled
> them for exactly that.
>
> Short of buying frosting, are there any recipes for chocolate icing
> that might be more foolproof than the recipe I used?
>
> I also made Grasshopper brownies with a green mint layer that
> doesn't look like it is going to set up. Expensive mistakes.
>
> Thanks, Michael

It would be easier to tell what went wrong if you posted the whole recipe.
3/4 cup of powdered sugar isn't going to take much liquid.
An easy frosting if you like the fudge kind is to take 1/2 stick of butter
and melt it with 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
Add to 2 cups powdered sugar, adding a little coffee or hot water if it's
too thick.
For grasshopper brownies, I made Barb's brownies, then made a cream cheese
frosting that I added peppermint (you can use spearmint) oil to, and a bit
of crème de menthe. Then I made a firm ganache and added that over the mint.
What did you use?

HTH,

kimberly

Zspider

Claudia wrote:
> It might just be that you have a bum recipe. I've not made any frostings
> that have corn syrup in them - not saying they aren't standard or
> commonplace but I've never made one. Here's a good brownie frosting that I
> use:
>

> 3*tablespoons*butter, softened
> 3*tablespoons*unsweetened cocoa powder
> 1*tablespoon*honey
> 1 1/2*teaspoons*vanilla extract
> 1*cup*confectioners sugar
>
> Mix together! I use the stand mixer to get it very smooth. You can thin
> it with a drop or two of milk or water. I don't recall that it really
> needs that, though. Frost while brownies are warm.

***************
Thank you for the recipe, Claudia! I will use it next time. The
recipe came frome my usually trustworthy Betty Crocker Cookbook,
but I'd rather not play with that recipe again.

Again, thank you for the recipe. I will be using it very soon.
I am in the process of experimenting to see what I can do for the
holidays. I want to be able to prepare a decent variety of cookies,
candies, and snacks by then.

Michael
Zspider

Claudia wrote:
> It might just be that you have a bum recipe. I've not made any frostings
> that have corn syrup in them - not saying they aren't standard or
> commonplace but I've never made one. Here's a good brownie frosting that I
> use:
>

> 3*tablespoons*butter, softened
> 3*tablespoons*unsweetened cocoa powder
> 1*tablespoon*honey
> 1 1/2*teaspoons*vanilla extract
> 1*cup*confectioners sugar
>
> Mix together! I use the stand mixer to get it very smooth. You can thin
> it with a drop or two of milk or water. I don't recall that it really
> needs that, though. Frost while brownies are warm.

***************
Thank you for the recipe, Claudia! I will use it next time. The
recipe came frome my usually trustworthy Betty Crocker Cookbook,
but I'd rather not play with that recipe again.

Again, thank you for the recipe. I will be using it very soon.
I am in the process of experimenting to see what I can do for the
holidays. I want to be able to prepare a decent variety of cookies,
candies, and snacks by then.

Michael
Zspider

Katra wrote
> Timing cooking fudge or candy does not work. :-)
> Find a recipe that uses temps instead of times, then get a good candy
> thermometer.
>
> Mom taught me to cook fudge to the "soft ball" stage.
> Keep a glass of cold water next to the stove and when the fudge starts
> to boil, drop a single drop of the fudge mix into the cold water once
> per minute. You can tell when it is ready to set up when it reaches the
> "soft ball" stage.
>
> If it is not ready, it flattens out when it hits the water. When it is
> ready, it forms a ball.
>
> As soon as that happens, take the pan off of the stove and have another
> shallow pan of ice water ready. Carefully insert your hot pan into the
> container of ice water and continue beating the fudge until it cools and
> begins to set up, then QUICKLY frost the cake or whatever before it
> totally cools off.
>
> Hope this helps?

*************
Thank you for all the good feedback, Katra. Although I knew the
frosting was called a fudge frosting, I didn't think that it might
need to be prepared by the same rules as fudge itself. I have
never had much luck with real fudge, either, and have always had
to resort to making the no-brainer fudge from semisweet chocolate
chips and sweetened condensed milk. I told my wife I need to get
away from that because it is so much more expensive than making
it the old-fashioned way from cocoa. I remember my mother making
it years ago and her dropping drops of it into water and looking
for it not to dissolve. That always mystified me as a child and
I haven't come much further, it seems. Haha!

Again, thank you for your comments.

Michael
Zspider

Katra wrote

*************
Thank you for all the good feedback, Katra. Although I knew the
frosting was called a fudge frosting, I didn't think that it might
need to be prepared by the same rules as fudge itself. I have
never had much luck with real fudge, either, and have always had
to resort to making the no-brainer fudge from semisweet chocolate
chips and sweetened condensed milk. I told my wife I need to get
away from that because it is so much more expensive than making
it the old-fashioned way from cocoa. I remember my mother making
it years ago and her dropping drops of it into water and looking
for it not to dissolve. That always mystified me as a child and
I haven't come much further, it seems. Haha!

Again, thank you for your comments.

Michael

Zspider

Kimberly wrote:
> It would be easier to tell what went wrong if you posted the whole recipe.
> 3/4 cup of powdered sugar isn't going to take much liquid.
> An easy frosting if you like the fudge kind is to take 1/2 stick of butter
> and melt it with 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
> Add to 2 cups powdered sugar, adding a little coffee or hot water if it's
> too thick.
> For grasshopper brownies, I made Barb's brownies, then made a cream cheese
> frosting that I added peppermint (you can use spearmint) oil to, and a bit
> of crème de menthe. Then I made a firm ganache and added that over the mint.
> What did you use?

*************
Thank you for your frosting suggestion, Kimberly. Your method of
starting out with the frosting a little too thick and thinning it
to taste with coffee or hot water sounds reassuring after my "too
thin to begin with and no fixing it" experience.

The grasshopper bars started out with a base of cooked brownies.
The green stuff consisted of 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup butter,
1/4 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of peppermint, and food coloring.
Directions were to pour it over the brownies and refrigerate for
15 minutes before pouring a thin thin coating of melted bittersweet
chocolate on top. The green stuff never hardened. I also had
trouble getting the melted bittersweet chocolate to spread. Once
it hit the cooled green stuff, it hardened into a brittle layer.

How did you make your green cream cheese frosting? What is a
ganache?

Again, thank you for taking the time to write.

Michael
Zspider

*************
[...]

Nexis

"Zspider" > wrote in message
m...
> Kimberly wrote:
> > It would be easier to tell what went wrong if you posted the whole

recipe.
> > 3/4 cup of powdered sugar isn't going to take much liquid.
> > An easy frosting if you like the fudge kind is to take 1/2 stick of

butter
> > and melt it with 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup cocoa

powder.
> > Add to 2 cups powdered sugar, adding a little coffee or hot water if

it's
> > too thick.
> > For grasshopper brownies, I made Barb's brownies, then made a cream

cheese
> > frosting that I added peppermint (you can use spearmint) oil to, and a

bit
> > of crème de menthe. Then I made a firm ganache and added that over the

mint.
> > What did you use?

> *************
> Thank you for your frosting suggestion, Kimberly. Your method of
> starting out with the frosting a little too thick and thinning it
> to taste with coffee or hot water sounds reassuring after my "too
> thin to begin with and no fixing it" experience.
>
> The grasshopper bars started out with a base of cooked brownies.
> The green stuff consisted of 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup butter,
> 1/4 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of peppermint, and food coloring.
> Directions were to pour it over the brownies and refrigerate for
> 15 minutes before pouring a thin thin coating of melted bittersweet
> chocolate on top. The green stuff never hardened. I also had
> trouble getting the melted bittersweet chocolate to spread. Once
> it hit the cooled green stuff, it hardened into a brittle layer.
>
> How did you make your green cream cheese frosting? What is a
> ganache?
>
> Again, thank you for taking the time to write.
>
> Michael

For the cream cheese frosting layer:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp peppermint oil (or spearmint if you prefer)
1 tbsp crème de menthe
small amount of milk, if needed
3 cups powdered sugar
(this recipe is for a 9x13" baking pan of brownies)

Combine the butter and cream cheese with the flavoring oil and crème de
menthe. Add powdered sugar and mix with the paddle attachment of your mixer
or a wooden spoon until smooth, adding milk a little at a time (no more than
a couple teaspoons) until the desired consistency is reached.
Spread on completely cooled brownies.
Make the ganache and pour it over the top before you refrigerate. This will
help with the spreading problem you had with the chocolate, as will using a
ganache rather than just the chocolate.

For the ganache:
12 ounces of good quality chocolate
6 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup)
1 tbsp butter

Chop chocolate, using a serrated bread knife. Put into a bowl. In a small
saucepan, heat cream to boiling. Pour over the chocolate, and add butter.
Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth and the mixture is
homogenous. Cool until just slightly warm, and pour over the brownies,
working quickly to spread smooth. Refrigerate until set.

The butter will ensure a shiny finish, even after refrigeration. You'll want
to remove them from the fridge for about 15 min or so before serving for the
maximum flavor.

Hope this helps!

kimberly

Nexis

"Zspider" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]

Make the ganache and pour it over the top before you refrigerate. This will
help with the spreading problem you had with the chocolate, as will using a
ganache rather than just the chocolate.

For the ganache:
12 ounces of good quality chocolate
6 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup)
1 tbsp butter

Chop chocolate, using a serrated bread knife. Put into a bowl. In a small
saucepan, heat cream to boiling. Pour over the chocolate, and add butter.
Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth and the mixture is
homogenous. Cool until just slightly warm, and pour over the brownies,
working quickly to spread smooth. Refrigerate until set.

The butter will ensure a shiny finish, even after refrigeration. You'll want
to remove them from the fridge for about 15 min or so before serving for the

runny apricot pineapple jam Kathi Jones Preserving 9 16-11-2005 04:08 AM
Runny Jelly Sindir Preserving 7 28-10-2005 10:09 PM
Seven Minute Frosting vs White Mountain Frosting Wayne Boatwright Baking 11 29-06-2005 09:21 PM
Seven Minute Frosting vs White Mountain Frosting Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 3 28-06-2005 05:53 AM
runny caramel krol General Cooking 16 19-03-2004 02:33 AM