REC: Grilled Lobster Tails -- (Tip: Prevent curling with a skewer)

Old 13-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Steve Murch
Usenet poster

Default REC: Grilled Lobster Tails -- (Tip: Prevent curling with a skewer)

Last night I made lobster tails for four; while I've had these in
restaurants several times, it was a first attempt for me at home. The tails
themselves were a mail-order gift from my brother and sister-in-law, and
arrived frozen, from Maine. Was a little skeptical at first; I was pretty
concerned about overcooking and drying them out, but I followed the recipe
below to the letter, and they were absolutely perfect -- moist and
flavorful. Paired with grilled portabello mushrooms, grilled onions and
wild rice pilaf. Fantastic.

Recipe follows, with some tips:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Grilled Lobster Tails

Like most recipes, many cooks have their own favorite way to serve
lobster... I feel they taste best simply prepared, with a virtually "pure"
taste. OK, with some lemon and butter on the side. This recipe strongly
suggests parboiling them before grilling, especially if the lobster tails
are frozen.

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Lobster
Categories: Valentines Day, Spring, Grill, Butter, Wine, White wine, Lemon

-= Ingredients =-
4 Lobster tails ; approximately 6-7 oz each
5 tb Butter
2 medium Lemons
4 Wooden or metal skewers

-= Instructions =-
In advance: If lobster tails are frozen, put them in the fridge in a ziploc
bag on a plate at least the night before, or, if necessary, soak them in
cold water to return them to a thawed state before starting the recipe
below.

Bring grill to medium-high heat.

Run a wooden or metal skewer through the tails (toward the red shell side)
for support, to prevent them from curling. Then, I strongly recommend
parboiling them before grilling. Get one large stockpot of water to full
boil, then turn it down to a gentle boil. Plunge lobster tails into water
and gently boil them for about 2 minutes.

Remove them from boiling water. Place them on a cutting board, shell side
(i.e., red-side) down, and slice lengthwise through the softer (whiter)
shell, lengthwise, the full cut.

Place butter in, and squeeze lemon juice directly in the shells.

Then place them on the grill, red shell side down. Grill, covered, for 2-3
minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges and melted butter.

Consider pairing with any combination of these choices: asparagus, grilled
onions, grilled portabello mushrooms, grilled zucchini, crisp and cool white
wine, broccolini, corn, broccoli, rice, roasted red bliss potatoes.

- Steve Murch
BigOven Recipe Software
www.bigoven.com

Boiled Lobster Tails Bob General Cooking 2 06-01-2005 10:48 PM
Boiled Lobster Tails Bob General Cooking 0 06-01-2005 08:24 PM
I want to try Lobster tails Kurt Barbecue 11 12-12-2004 01:30 AM
Linguine and Lobster Duckie Recipes 0 06-03-2004 12:03 AM
Your Last Supper mary General Cooking 29 19-11-2003 06:44 AM