Frittata vs crustless quiche

Old 19-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Joe
Usenet poster

Default Frittata vs crustless quiche

Just curious: is there a difference between a frittata and a
crustless quiche, or is it really the same thing?

I believe quiche is always an egg / milk custard. I was under
the impression that a frittata was egg without the milk (plus
whatever else you're throwing in). But I've seen some frittata
recipes that also use an egg / milk custard.

Not that it matters, I was just wondering. I like to use an
quiche style egg/milk custard, whatever else in the fridge I want
to get rid of, start it in a hot cast iron pan on the stove top
and finish in the oven. Whatever it's really called, its a fun
way to experiment.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 20-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
Just curious: is there a difference between a frittata and a
crustless quiche, or is it really the same thing?

I believe quiche is always an egg / milk custard. I was under
the impression that a frittata was egg without the milk (plus
whatever else you're throwing in). But I've seen some frittata
recipes that also use an egg / milk custard.

Not that it matters, I was just wondering. I like to use an
quiche style egg/milk custard, whatever else in the fridge I want
to get rid of, start it in a hot cast iron pan on the stove top
and finish in the oven. Whatever it's really called, its a fun
way to experiment.

I think you are on the right track. Frittata is nothing more than beaten
eggs poured over other ingredients and cooked until set. It can be really
delicious. A quiche is more of a custard and is generally more refined
(whatever that means, but you get the idea). But there is no firm dividing
line.

--
Peter Aitken