Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whipping Warm Cream

I tried making whipped cream out of a box of "shelf stable" heavy cream.
My wife likes to keep this around to use in soups.

It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and you're
even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?

What could one do in this situation? My solution, since I was trying to
make an impromptu dessert, anyway, was to add a little instant pudding
mix, which did the job quite nicely.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:53:45 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> I tried making whipped cream out of a box of "shelf stable" heavy cream.
> My wife likes to keep this around to use in soups.
>
> It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and you're
> even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?

No idea other than it's probably thicker and therefore easier to whip.

> What could one do in this situation? My solution, since I was trying to
> make an impromptu dessert, anyway, was to add a little instant pudding
> mix, which did the job quite nicely.
>
> Thanks in advance.

You should have refrigerated it first... to bypass the 6 hour statute,
put it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
http://chezsabine.com/2012/09/19/rev...hipping-cream/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I tried making whipped cream out of a box of "shelf stable" heavy cream.
>My wife likes to keep this around to use in soups.
>
>It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and you're
>even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?

Probably because of the melt point of milk fat.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/14, 5:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and you're
> even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?

Simply because cold cream is thicker, and thicker cream traps air
bubbles more easily.

See
http://themolecularcircus.wordpress....whipped-cream/

or http://www.thekitchn.com/food-scienc...ed-cream-81751

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 1/26/14, 5:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and
>> you're even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?

> Simply because cold cream is thicker, and thicker cream traps air
> bubbles more easily.
>
> See
> http://themolecularcircus.wordpress....whipped-cream/
>
> or http://www.thekitchn.com/food-scienc...ed-cream-81751
>
> -- Larry

I was wondering if there was "some little something" I could add to
compensate. Probably not but it never hurts to ask. Cream of tartar?
Certainly a little instant pudding mix did the job but something without
flavor would be better.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> Reminds me of the discussion of the regulations for handling eggs - here,
> we wash them and keep them refrigerated, while in the UK, they do the
> opposite - no washing, which leaves the natural coating on, and they store
> them at room temperature from what I understand. Although those two
> methods are quite different, I have a hard time believing one is better
> than the other, and the same goes with boxed milk.d

Yes, the eggs in our shops are not refrigerated.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2014 4:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> I tried making whipped cream out of a box of "shelf stable" heavy cream.

The ultra-pasteurization process adversely affects the ability of the
cream to whip. It adversely affects its flavor, too.

If flavor and texture are important to you, look for a high-quality
whipping cream - that is, one that is all cream or primarily cream,
with few or no additives. Unfortunately to keep the cost down, most
heavy cream is now thinned with milk and thickened back up with agar
or another thickening agent. You pretty much have to go organic or
from a local farm to find the real thing nowadays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:53:45 PM UTC-9, Steve Freides wrote:

> I tried making whipped cream out of a box of "shelf stable" heavy cream.
>
> My wife likes to keep this around to use in soups.
>

> It didn't work. I know you're supposed to chill the cream, and you're
>
> even supposed to use a cold bowl. Why?
>

> What could one do in this situation? My solution, since I was trying to
>
> make an impromptu dessert, anyway, was to add a little instant pudding
>
> mix, which did the job quite nicely.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> -S-

Are you talking about using Dream Whip?
I have some dessert recipes that call for
that to be prepared and folded in. I always
make sure the milk is chilled and also the
bowl and beaters. It never beats up as stuff
as 'real' whipping cream, as is more of a
soft-set. I prefer the real stuff and get
the Heavy whipping cream, and always chill
the bowl/beaters before whipping.

Judy

Heavy Whipping Cream gtr General Cooking 53 11-01-2014 10:00 PM
Melting white chocolate into whipping cream to stabilize and flavorwhipped cream? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 0 27-08-2012 02:15 PM
Whipping Cream Freezing SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 3 21-11-2008 05:45 PM
whipping cream Jen General Cooking 5 28-02-2006 10:35 PM
Whipping Cream S'mee General Cooking 94 23-11-2005 05:33 AM