Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

Default Whipping Cream

I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
(we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

S'mee wrote:
> I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> cream) or do you just wing it?

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip cream until almost stiff.
Add sugar and vanilla.
Beat until cream holds peaks.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Sheldon" > said:
> S'mee wrote:

> > I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it?

> 1 cup heavy cream
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> Whip cream until almost stiff.
> Add sugar and vanilla.
> Beat until cream holds peaks.

Thank you, Sheldon, that's just what I was looking for! I did check
Epicurious, but couldn't find anything that straightforward...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

http://www.recipezaar.com/74805

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> S'mee wrote:
>
> > I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...
> >

> http://www.recipezaar.com/74805

That recipe sucks... merely adds cornstach... which totally degrades
the texture of real whipped cream.

Sheldon Chaste

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

jacqui{JB} wrote:

> "S'mee" > wrote in message
>
>> > 1 cup heavy cream
>> > 1/4 cup sugar
>> > 1 teaspoon vanilla

>> Thank you, Sheldon, that's just what I was looking
>> for! I did check Epicurious, but couldn't find anything
>> that straightforward...

> That is a *lot* of sugar for whipped cream, for my taste. I use a
> tablespoon or two per cup of cream, and vanilla to taste. I strongly
> suggest that you start with less and taste as you go along.

That should be powdered sugar?

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie

S'mee wrote:
>> I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
>> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
>> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
>> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
>> cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

I use about 2 Tbsp. per cup.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zywicki

S'mee wrote:
> I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...
>

> --
> Jani in WA (S'mee)
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Add powdered sugar to taste. Some people actually like unsweetened
cream, believe it or not.

Alternatively, buy spray cans of whipped cream. They're real whipped
cream too, and easy to use. Plus you can shoot them directly into your
mouth, as well as using them for lingere manufacture.

Greg Zywicki
Not, of course, during dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Zywicki" > said:
> S'mee wrote:

> > I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

> Add powdered sugar to taste. Some people actually like unsweetened
> cream, believe it or not.

I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend powdered sugar over
granulated. Any particular reason? Mom always used granulated sugar.

> Alternatively, buy spray cans of whipped cream. They're real whipped
> cream too, and easy to use. Plus you can shoot them directly into your
> mouth, as well as using them for lingere manufacture.
>
> Greg Zywicki
> Not, of course, during dessert.

Heh, I thought of getting one of those, but I have a pint of heavy
whipping cream in the fridge already... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .

> That should be powdered sugar?

Granulated works fine, ime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
. dk...
> "S'mee" > wrote in message
>
>> > 1 cup heavy cream
>> > 1/4 cup sugar
>> > 1 teaspoon vanilla

>> Thank you, Sheldon, that's just what I was looking
>> for! I did check Epicurious, but couldn't find anything
>> that straightforward...

> That is a *lot* of sugar for whipped cream, for my taste. I use a
> tablespoon or two per cup of cream, and vanilla to taste. I strongly
> suggest that you start with less and taste as you go along.

I agree. I think real whipped cream tastes best when it's very lightly
sweetened (of course, it depends what the cream is topping). I usually use
confectioner's sugar, but real maple syrup is good, too.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Chris" > wrote in message

> I agree. I think real whipped cream tastes best when it's very lightly
> sweetened (of course, it depends what the cream is topping). I usually use
> confectioner's sugar, but real maple syrup is good, too.
>
> Chris

So is Cream Sherry or Grand Marnier, or Amaretto.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Puester" > wrote in message

> That's pretty sweet. I usually use a heaping tablespoon of sugar.
>
> gloria p

I have a Nitrogen canister for the whipped cream. For 1 pint of heavy cream I
use 2 but no more than 3 packets of Splenda. I use the Splenda 'cause it
dissolves perfectly.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pgluth1

Two additional suggestions:

1. Substitute a quality Amaretto for the vanilla. I always use Amaretto di
Sarrano but I suppose there are others. To me, generic amaretto has a cheap
plastic taste that makes it ill-suited for drinking or cooking.

2. Though Amaretto is my first pick, I have also had good luck with
Frangelico, bourbon and brandy.

As for whipped cream in the can? I would reserve that for every room but
the kitchen. There is a mouthfeel to the real stuff that can't be
duplicated from the can - though it is easier to use the can to "decorate".

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

S'mee wrote:

> I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

Not much, maybe a tablespoon per pint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"S'mee" > wrote in message
>I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...
>

> --
> Jani in WA (S'mee)
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

It really is hard to say because taste is so subjective. My basic rule of
thumb is that I go by how sweet the dish is that I'm using it for. For
waffles with fresh berries, for example, I use about 3-4 tbsp for a pint (2
cups). For a chocolate cream pie, which is sweeter, I like it a little less
so, and use 1-2 tbsp. I always add vanilla. If I'm using it immediately, as
with the waffles, I use superfine sugar or Splenda, and if I want it to last
a little longer, like for pie (where there may be more than one serving
time) I use confectioner's sugar. The cornstarch makes the cream a bit more
stable.

One more thing: I found I like the results better if I whip it until it's
beginning to get thick before I begin adding any sugar, and I add the sugar
slowly. It seems to keep it's fluffiness better that way.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Nexis" > said:
> "S'mee" > wrote in message

> >I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

> It really is hard to say because taste is so subjective. My basic rule of
> thumb is that I go by how sweet the dish is that I'm using it for. For
> waffles with fresh berries, for example, I use about 3-4 tbsp for a pint (2
> cups). For a chocolate cream pie, which is sweeter, I like it a little less
> so, and use 1-2 tbsp. I always add vanilla. If I'm using it immediately, as
> with the waffles, I use superfine sugar or Splenda, and if I want it to last
> a little longer, like for pie (where there may be more than one serving
> time) I use confectioner's sugar. The cornstarch makes the cream a bit more
> stable.

Thanks, Kimberly! Wow, I've learned a lot about whipping cream this
morning. This is why I refer to myself as a novice cook -- there's just
so much to learn and it's constantly changing. That's a Good Thing,
though...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"Zywicki" > wrote:

> S'mee wrote:
> > I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...
> >

> > --
> > Jani in WA (S'mee)
> > ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

> Add powdered sugar to taste. Some people actually like unsweetened
> cream, believe it or not.
>
> Alternatively, buy spray cans of whipped cream. They're real whipped
> cream too, and easy to use. Plus you can shoot them directly into your
> mouth, as well as using them for lingere manufacture.
>
> Greg Zywicki
> Not, of course, during dessert.

My man!! I thought the use of lingerie manufacture WAS dessert. You
rascal, you!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(S'mee) wrote:

> I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend powdered sugar over
> granulated. Any particular reason? Mom always used granulated sugar.

It dissolves faster. Only reason.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
for Nephew Pat's wedding last weekend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Dimitri wrote:

> I have a Nitrogen canister for the whipped cream.

Please explain.

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > I have a Nitrogen canister for the whipped cream.

> Please explain.

I'm not Dimitri, but...

Nitrous oxide canister is how it should have read. :-)
I have one too. Gas driven cream whipper and it's WONderful!

I make sugar free whipping cream with splenda this way. It's like making
your own "redi-whip". Pour the cream into the bottle, add the splenda,
close the top, shake for a few seconds to mix it then slap in the gas
cartrige (or two).

Keeps in the 'frige for a couple of weeks this way. Just stick the whole
contraption in there.

This is a GREAT website! I've ordered from them and they are helpful,
reasonably price and give good service:

http://www.creamright.com/

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Zywicki wrote:

> Add powdered sugar to taste. Some people actually like unsweetened
> cream, believe it or not.

I am one of them. When I make whipped cream the sugar is optional.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> I have a Nitrogen canister for the whipped cream.

> Please explain.
>
> --
> Andy

http://www.coffeeam.com/whipcreammak.html

Take a look - I have a different brand.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
William Wagner

In article >,
"jacqui{JB}" > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>
> > That should be powdered sugar?

> Granulated works fine, ime.

It is useful to place your bowl and beaters in the freezer for about an
hour.

Bill's folk lore.

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
-Baruch Spinoza

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> This isn't much help but I just add small amounts of sugar and taste as I
> go. When it's done, it's done.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> ...Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.
>
> All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
> now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
> final say on what is, or is not, posted.
> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

That's my method as well. Taste as I go along, both for sugar and
flavoring -- oftentimes vanilla, but subject to change based on the dessert.
I've used almond, lemon, peppermint, anise, Fiori di Sicilia . . .

Spitz

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack

S'mee > wrote:

> I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> cream) or do you just wing it? Thanks in advance...

I would say that it would be safer to taste and adjust. Something sweet
for me could be almost devoid of sugar to you, or vice versa (not
likely).

I do find a problem with using the *US* heavy cream for whipping
purposes, as its fat content (36%) isn't nearly high enough to produce
really good results. Simon Hopkinson, who really should know, maintains
that the *UK* whipping cream (35% fat), i.e. almost the equivalent of
the American heavy cream, is not very good for whipping and suggests the
UK double cream (48%). Can you find something like that where you live?

From the rfc FAQ:

The minimum milk fat content by weight for various types of cream:
(UK) (US)
Clotted Cream 55%
Double Cream 48%
Heavy Cream 36%
Whipping Cream 35% 30%
Whipped Cream 35%
Single Cream 18% (=Light Cream)
Half Cream 12% (=Half and Half*)

* Half and Half has only 10% butterfat in British Columbia.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

William Wagner wrote:
> In article >,
> "jacqui{JB}" > wrote:
>
> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> > .. .
> >
> > > That should be powdered sugar?

> > Granulated works fine, ime.

> It is useful to place your bowl and beaters in the freezer for about an
> hour.
>
> Bill's folk lore.
>
> --

A copper mixing bowl is wonderful for this, even if used for nothing
else except cream and fluffy light scrambled eggs.. Copper wicks away
any heat and remains cool to the touch, and ingredients. They are
expensive new, but you can find them regularly on eBay. Watch prices
for a while, and don't get carried away in bdding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Maestro Mysterieux wrote:

> Whipped cream from a can melts too fast.
> Does DIY whipped cream melt just as fast?

1. If any whipped cream melts too fast, you're eating too slowly.
2. Yes, DIY whipped cream melts at least as fast. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 18 Nov 2005 08:47:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> On 18 Nov 2005 09:57:53 -0800, "Zywicki" > wrote:
>
>>Alternatively, buy spray cans of whipped cream. They're real whipped
>>cream too, and easy to use.
>>
>>Greg Zywicki

> Whipped cream from a can melts too fast.
> Does DIY whipped cream melt just as fast?

No. Whipped cream from a can is light cream ,not heavy cream or "whipping
cream". Heavy whipping cream, properly whipped, can remain stable for
several days. There is a further distinction between "heavy cream" and
"whipping cream". "Heavy" cream has higher butterfat and will whip and
remain whipped better.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> "S'mee" > wrote in message
>

>>>1 cup heavy cream
>>>1/4 cup sugar
>>>1 teaspoon vanilla

>>Thank you, Sheldon, that's just what I was looking
>>for! I did check Epicurious, but couldn't find anything
>>that straightforward...

> That is a *lot* of sugar for whipped cream, for my taste. I use a
> tablespoon or two per cup of cream, and vanilla to taste. I strongly
> suggest that you start with less and taste as you go along.

Yeah, I like mine on the less sweet side too. You can always add more
sugar, but can't take it out later if you add too much.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
rox formerly rmg

IMHO the vanilla is almost more essential than the sugar.

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> S'mee wrote:
> > I want to make real whipped cream for my pumpkin pie this weekend
> > (we're doing an early Thanksgiving at a friend's house on Sunday).
> > I know how to whip it, but how much sugar should I add? Does
> > anyone have a tried and true amount (X sugar for 1 pint whipping
> > cream) or do you just wing it?

> 1 cup heavy cream
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> Whip cream until almost stiff.
> Add sugar and vanilla.
> Beat until cream holds peaks.
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Maestro Mysterieux wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2005 09:57:53 -0800, "Zywicki" > wrote:
>
>>Alternatively, buy spray cans of whipped cream. They're real whipped
>>cream too, and easy to use.
>>
>>Greg Zywicki

> Whipped cream from a can melts too fast.
> Does DIY whipped cream melt just as fast?

No. The cream used in the cans is a lighter one and has stabilizers in it.

If you want DIY whipped cream to last even longer, whip as you usually
do it and put it into a strainer over a bowl in the fridge for a few
hours. Loose water/whey will drip out and the cream will become more dense.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> IMHO the vanilla is almost more essential than the sugar.

Does anyone ever use anything except vanilla? I'm wondering about orange
perhaps? Or some other light flavoring? I've not, but it might be good?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Goomba38 wrote:

> rox formerly rmg wrote:
>
>> IMHO the vanilla is almost more essential than the sugar.
>>

> Does anyone ever use anything except vanilla? I'm wondering about orange
> perhaps? Or some other light flavoring? I've not, but it might be good?
> Goomba

Hazelnut extract. Almond extract. Citrus variations are good too. It
depends on what it's being served with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Reg wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> rox formerly rmg wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO the vanilla is almost more essential than the sugar.
>>>

>> Does anyone ever use anything except vanilla? I'm wondering about
>> orange
>> perhaps? Or some other light flavoring? I've not, but it might be
>> good?
>> Goomba

> Hazelnut extract. Almond extract. Citrus variations are good too. It
> depends on what it's being served with.

Aside from flavorings, how about food colors to add pizazz!??

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Andy wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>

>>Goomba38 wrote:

>>>Does anyone ever use anything except vanilla? I'm wondering about
>>>orange
>>> perhaps? Or some other light flavoring? I've not, but it might be
>>> good?
>>>Goomba

>>Hazelnut extract. Almond extract. Citrus variations are good too. It
>>depends on what it's being served with.

> Aside from flavorings, how about food colors to add pizazz!??

Dude, only for kids parties