larry

Default cooking a potatoe

Greetings and Happy New Year.

I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
I do know how to boil water but...
Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe in
a microwave.

Larry

Sidney

Larry,

Yes, you can bake a potatoe in the microwave. It is actually very easy.
Wash your potatoe to get rid of any dirt, take a fork or knife and pierce
the skin in two or three place to let out steam so it doesn't "explode" and
make a mess, then cover it with a clean kitchen towel and "nuke" it.

Use a good plate (no paper or plastic disposable plates) because it will
get hot. I typically use a cloth kitchen towel but, paper towels work too.
If it is not "clean", you will cook what ever is on the towel itself. I
once set a cloth towel on fire that had a bit of grease or cheese on it from
prior use that caused a little excitement but, it smoked so much that I
caught it early and no damage was done other then scorching the towel
itself.

Depending on your microwave and the size of your potatoe, you may have to
experiment a little to get the cooking just right. Small potatoes cook
faster then large ones. You can take a large potatoe and cut in half to for
faster cooking. If you cook multiple potatoes (or pieces), place them in a
"ring" with nothing in the center so that they will all cook evenly. If
your microwave doesn't have a turntable, turn you plate halfway through the
cooking process. In my microwave (1300Watts), a large potatoe cooks in
about 11 minutes. Small potatoes cooking in about 8 minutes. With multiple
small potatoes (or slices) placed in a ring formation, try 8 minutes plus 1
minute for each additional potatoe.

I never really learned how to cook at home because my Mom felt the only
reason I would leave home is to get married and my wife would cook for me.
Needless to say, I am not married and living on my own. I was fortunate
enough to have some older ladies at work who I became friends with. They
"mothered" me a little and helped me learn how to cook during our "water
cooler" conversations. The other thing that helped, getting rid of the
cheap pans I had to cook with. I got a couple of really good Calphalon "try
me" pans that were thick heavy anodized aluminum and I quit offering burnt
sacrifices to the "garbage can gods" thanks to the great heat distribution
on those pans. Good pans also helped overcome the poor quality stoves in
the apartments I lived in. I also learned that properly seasoned Lodge cast
iron (like you find at Wal-mart) worked really great on those bad stoves -
it took a while to get them hot but, they heated evenly and cooked like a
dream after those old age "geezer" stoves finally coughed and sputtered out
enough BTU's to warm the pan up.

I hope this helps ;-)
Sid

"larry" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> Greetings and Happy New Year.
>
> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe

in
> a microwave.
>
> Larry

Dan Goodman

"larry" > wrote in

> Greetings and Happy New Year.
>
> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a
> potatoe in a microwave.

General cooking suggestion: In the cooking section of any large general
bookstore, there will be cookbooks intended for college students who have
never before done their own cooking. -"This is a stove. This is a frying
pan. This is an egg."-
Most of these are at a more elementary level than cookbooks for children.
(The previous sentence is not a joke.)

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or
Dimitri

"larry" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> Greetings and Happy New Year.
>
> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe

in
> a microwave.
>
> Larry

Yes. Microwaves cook food by exciting the water molecules within the food.
This creates the heat that cooks the food.

Generally the larger the potato the more steam or vent holes are necessary
to create an "even cook". I like to use a 2 tine corn holder and pierce
the potato on each end and around the circumference as well.

Dimitri

Julia Altshuler

Default cooking a potato

Dan Goodman wrote:

> General cooking suggestion: In the cooking section of any large general
> bookstore, there will be cookbooks intended for college students who have
> never before done their own cooking. -"This is a stove. This is a frying
> pan. This is an egg."-
> Most of these are at a more elementary level than cookbooks for children.
> (The previous sentence is not a joke.)

Let me add to this excellent advice.

First, don't be put off by getting a basic cookbook. Everyone has to
start somewhere, and you'll be a happier cook in the long run if you
learn the basics well and build from there.

Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,
but in this case, it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

--Lia

Sam D.

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> First, don't be put off by getting a basic cookbook. Everyone has to
> start somewhere, and you'll be a happier cook in the long run if you
> learn the basics well and build from there.
>
> Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
> P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,
> but in this case, it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

He must have been referring to a Dan Quayle type of potato.

Katra

In article
.rogers.com>,
"larry" > wrote:

> Greetings and Happy New Year.
>
> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe in
> a microwave.
>
> Larry

Nuking spuds works well, if you do it right. :-)
It works if you seal the potatoe in something. I prefer a covered
corningware with a little added water, but wrapping the spud in waxed
paper works pretty well also.

Cooking time will depend on the size of the tuber. You will have to
experiment.

K.

--
^ ^ Cat's Haven Hobby Farm ^ ^
^ ^
>,,< >,,< >,,<

PENMART01

"Julia Altshuler" wrote:
>First, don't be put off by getting a basic cookbook. Everyone has to
>start somewhere,* and you'll be a happier cook in the long run if you
>learn the basics well and build from there.
>
>Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
>P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,*
>but in this case,* it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

Commas are not decorations, nor are parentheses.
I know, you're an obsessive-compulsive punctuator and/or a hesitant speaker.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

larry > wrote:
> Greetings and Happy New Year.

> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe in
> a microwave.

You can certainly cook a potato in a microwave oven. There are
many ways to cook potatoes in a microwave oven, just as their are
many ways to cook a potato in a regular oven. Could you be more
specific about how you prefer to cook your potatoes (.e.g.,
scalopped, whole, french fried, etc.)?

Donna Pattee

In article >,
PENMART01 > wrote:
>"Julia Altshuler" wrote:
>>First, don't be put off by getting a basic cookbook. Everyone has to
>>start somewhere,* and you'll be a happier cook in the long run if you
>>learn the basics well and build from there.
>>
>>Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
>>P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,*
>>but in this case,* it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

>Commas are not decorations, nor are parentheses.
>I know, you're an obsessive-compulsive punctuator and/or a hesitant speaker.

The first of the two commas you flagged were used correctly. The third
comma was not necessary. One way to tell if a comma is needed is to try
the parts of the sentence as separate sentences. Doing this you will see
that both "Everyone has to start somewhere." and "You'll be a happier cook
in the long run if you learn the basics well and build from there." stand
alone as proper sentences. Thus, putting them together with "and" means
that a comma is required.

Brian Macke

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:21:14 +0000, Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
> P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,
> but in this case, it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

"Potatoe" isn't technically a misspelling. It's an antiquated spelling
(according to the Oxford English Dictionary). It would be like saying "ye"
is a misspelling of "the".

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Bob Pastorio

Donna Pattee wrote:

> In article >,
> PENMART01 > wrote:
>
>>"Julia Altshuler" wrote:
>>
>>>First, don't be put off by getting a basic cookbook. Everyone has to
>>>start somewhere,* and you'll be a happier cook in the long run if you
>>>learn the basics well and build from there.
>>>
>>>Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
>>>P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,*
>>>but in this case,* it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

>>Commas are not decorations, nor are parentheses.
>>I know, you're an obsessive-compulsive punctuator and/or a hesitant speaker.
>>

> The first of the two commas you flagged were used correctly.

The first of the two commas you flagged *was* used correctly.

> The third
> comma was not necessary.

If the rule being applied is "when a conjunction connects two clauses
that could stand alone as separate sentences, then a comma precedes
it," the sentence doesn't need the second comma.

But it may also be correctly punctuated, "I'm not normally one to go
around correcting spelling but, in this case, it makes a difference in
achieving your goal." A non-essential phrase should be set off by
commas. And a serious pedant would even put another comma in front of
the "but" so it reads "...spelling, but, in this case, it makes..."

Dueling rules...

> One way to tell if a comma is needed is to try
> the parts of the sentence as separate sentences. Doing this you will see
> that both "Everyone has to start somewhere." and "You'll be a happier cook
> in the long run if you learn the basics well and build from there." stand
> alone as proper sentences. Thus, putting them together with "and" means
> that a comma is required.

The rule is that the comma is to be used with a conjunction in a
compound sentence when punctuation is necessary for clarity.
Otherwise, it may be omitted and generally should be. The sentence
quoted here doesn't need it to be properly understood.

Pastorio

Jonathan Mason

"Brian Macke" > wrote in message et>...
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:21:14 +0000, Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Second, you'll find more potato recipes on the web if you spell it
> > P-O-T-A-T-O. (I'm not normally one to go around correcting spelling,
> > but in this case, it makes a difference in achieving your goal.)

> "Potatoe" isn't technically a misspelling. It's an antiquated spelling
> (according to the Oxford English Dictionary). It would be like saying "ye"
> is a misspelling of "the".
>
> > --Lia

Actually "ye" IS a mispelling, because the revival of "ye" as in "ye
olde coffee shoppe" is based on a misreading of the anglo saxon letter
'thorn' which was pronounced as 'th' but written something like a 'y'
in manuscripts, which the revivers obviously did not know.

"Potatoe" is not a mispelling if it is placed in quotes and given as
an example of an antiquated spelling, as you have done, but any
proofreader in commercial publication would correct it without
hesitation.
Donna Pattee

In article >,
PENMART01 > wrote:
writes:

>>PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Commas are not decorations, nor are parentheses.
>>>I know, you're an obsessive-compulsive punctuator and/or a hesitant speaker.
>>>

>>The first of the two commas you flagged <S>were</S> *was* used correctly.

>You're absolutely wrong.
>I flagged three (3) commas.
>And it's *was* used.

Absolutely correct. The sentence should have read:

The first two of the commas you flagged were used correctly.

The rest of my explanation is correct as written.

>Another EDU poster bites the dust. I truly hope you're an institutional
>lavatory monitor and not an educator.

Actually neither, thanks.

>Methinks you'd best cut your losses and quit now.

It isn't worth discussing further, so I will quit with this post.

>---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>Sheldon
>````````````
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sandy n ne

You can cook a potato in the microwave. Just be sure to poke it a few times
with a fork first to let out steam (you definately don't want it blowing up on
you!)

Sandra
Richard Periut

Sandy n ne wrote:
> You can cook a potato in the microwave. Just be sure to poke it a few times
> with a fork first to let out steam (you definately don't want it blowing up on
> you!)
>
> Sandra

I like to butter the skin, poke holes with a fork, and give it 6
minutes, turn, then another 6.

Love the hard crunchy crust that forms.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

We do it all the time and it works real well. You can boil them, bake
them and do just about anything you can anyother way in just a few minutes.

larry wrote:

> Greetings and Happy New Year.
>
> I feel somewhat awkward with this question...
> Me and the kitchen are not the best of friends...
> I do know how to boil water but...
> Can you cook a potatoe in a microwave.
> I just learned how to make mashed potatoes however can you cook a potatoe in
> a microwave.
>
> Larry

BillKirch

>Can you cook a potatoe

############
Who are you Dan Quayle? BG
kilikini

(snip)

> steam can pass through the flesh of the potato, but not through the
> skin, just like frying a sausage. However I don't think this is so. In
> Wal-Mart (I think) you can buy potatoes wrapped in film that you just
> pop in the microwave for 7 minutes and they come out really nice
> without holes. Also, I have often nuked potatoes without film or fork
> holes and they do just fine with no explosions.

Yes, it is a fallacy. I have been nuking my potatoes for years without
poking holes in them. They've never blown up on me and I've nuked some
large taters.

Kilikini

Sidney

If your potato has a ruffed up skin, then no problem. An uncovered potato
with an unscuffed skin can "pop" and make a mess. Just because it hasn't
happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others.

The ones I had explode were smaller potatoes. I heard the "pop" and then
proceeded to clean hot potato off the microwave. YMMV

Sid

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> (snip)
>
> > steam can pass through the flesh of the potato, but not through the
> > skin, just like frying a sausage. However I don't think this is so. In
> > Wal-Mart (I think) you can buy potatoes wrapped in film that you just
> > pop in the microwave for 7 minutes and they come out really nice
> > without holes. Also, I have often nuked potatoes without film or fork
> > holes and they do just fine with no explosions.

> Yes, it is a fallacy. I have been nuking my potatoes for years without
> poking holes in them. They've never blown up on me and I've nuked some
> large taters.
>
> Kilikini

It is my understanding that there is NO radiation evidenced in the end
product. We did contact a scientist at the Livermore Lab in regarding
this problem. He wrote back that there would be less radiation that
ones is exposed to daily in background radiation.
I hope this helps you understand microwaving processes better.
Matt

peecee wrote:

> :
>
> || We do it all the time and it works real well. You can boil them, bake
> || them and do just about anything you can anyother way in just a few minutes.
>
> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Microwaves and
> radiation.
> Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Donna Pattee

In article >,
kilikini > wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> steam can pass through the flesh of the potato, but not through the
>> skin, just like frying a sausage. However I don't think this is so. In
>> Wal-Mart (I think) you can buy potatoes wrapped in film that you just
>> pop in the microwave for 7 minutes and they come out really nice
>> without holes. Also, I have often nuked potatoes without film or fork
>> holes and they do just fine with no explosions.

>Yes, it is a fallacy. I have been nuking my potatoes for years without
>poking holes in them. They've never blown up on me and I've nuked some
>large taters.
>
>Kilikini

Wow, I guess I just imagined that sweet potato that blew up in my
microwave a couple of weeks ago, huh? Too bad - the resultant cleanup
was VERY realistic.

Brian Macke

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:30:53 +0000, Steve Calvin wrote:

> Yeah, and *never* eat bacon and drink coffee at the same sitting. It can
> cause cancer. ( I actually read that once, sheesh)

If you must have bacon with your coffee, use Bacos. Or you could sprinkle
your bacon with Foldger's Crystals for about the same effect.

(That effect is churning your stomach, in case you were curious.)

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which
builds it." -- Unknown

Frogleg

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:00:56 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

(Donna Pattee) wrote in
:

>> Wow, I guess I just imagined that sweet potato that blew up in my
>> microwave a couple of weeks ago, huh? Too bad - the resultant cleanup
>> was VERY realistic.
>>

>Same thing for me ...I imagined a regular potato just blew up causing lots
>of clean up. Funny thing the imagination.

Try an eggplant. Then sell the oven.

BTW, I imagine the (relative) lack of consistent m'wave explosions is
that they tend to be a dampish form of cooking. Potato skins in oven
become hard and crispy, containing the steam 'till it blows the
critter apart. M'wave is more like steaming, and the skin becomes soft
and more easily permeable for interior steam to escape. YMMV,
obviously. I'm a sissy. I poke holes in the skin.