MGot326225

Default REQ: Biscotti Recipe (yellow-cakey, almonds, anise & cherries)

Hello,

I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh.
Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied or
maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with my
coffee.

Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the description
above?

Grazie!
zxcvbob

MGot326225 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh.
> Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
> Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied or
> maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with my
> coffee.
>
> Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the description
> above?
>
> Grazie!

I have a recipe that makes a biscotti like that, except it's hard like a
dog biscuit. I can dig it up and post it if you want. You could
expiriment with adding a little butter and skipping the second bake.

Bob
zxcvbob

MGot326225 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh.
> Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
> Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied or
> maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with my
> coffee.
>
> Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the description
> above?
>
> Grazie!

I have a recipe that makes a biscotti like that, except it's hard like a
dog biscuit. I can dig it up and post it if you want. You could
expiriment with adding a little butter and skipping the second bake.

Bob
MGot326225

Are amaretti like almond-paste cookies? If so, no this is not what I'm looking
for. The cookies that I'm looking for are like biscotti.. (baked then sliced).
I believe that they are baked only once but what I love about them is the soft
cakey interior of the biscotti (just perfect for the kids!) - oppposed to the
traditional crunchy biscotti that you see at most coffee shops.

MGot326225

And another thing...the biscotti doesn't have to be flavored with anise,
almonds or cherries.. not strictly.. what I'm after is the soft, cakey type
that I can flavor with just about anything. Thanks...
PENMART01

>mgot326225 writes:
>>
>> I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh.
>> Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
>> Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied

>or
>> maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with

>my
>> coffee.
>>
>> Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the

>description
>> above?

Any biscotti recipe, baked once.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>mgot326225 writes:
>>
>> I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh.
>> Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
>> Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied

>or
>> maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with

>my
>> coffee.
>>
>> Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the

>description
>> above?

Any biscotti recipe, baked once.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne

(MGot326225) wrote in
:

> And another thing...the biscotti doesn't have to be flavored with
> anise, almonds or cherries.. not strictly.. what I'm after is the
> soft, cakey type that I can flavor with just about anything.
> Thanks...

From your lips to Google's ears!

Soft Biscotti Recipe

7 cups flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
4 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup raisins
1 cup nuts, finely chopped

Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Add butter and mix like
pie dough.

Make a well and put eggs into it. Add flavoring and knead. Dough should
be medium soft. Add enough milk to make a soft dough (if too soft, add
flour 2 tbsp at a time)

Form a rope 18" long, 1/2" thick to fit cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees, 45 to 50 min. Cut while still hot and brown under
broiler on both sides.

Serving Size : 45

NOTE: Bake until loaves are just pink. Then slice and lightly toast. If
you do this, they will be soft. Toast longer for harder biscotti.

Recipe from Shirley Rosa. Typed by Lynn Thomas. Lynn's notes: This is
our family recipe for biscotti. When I want a harder biscotti to dip
into coffee, I bake the cut slices a little longer. Store them in an
airtight container and they last for weeks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
MGot326225

Wayne, thanks for the recipe. That one looks like a keeper. I love biscotti
of all kinds.

I'm an Italian from New York and I remember my grandmother making big, soft,
spongy cookies (in the shape of biscotti) flavored with anisette. Biscotti is
not the correct word for that type of cookies because what it really means is
"twice-baked". Unfortunately my grandmother is not around anymore.
Rick & Cyndi

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 10 Aug 2004 14:19:28 GMT, (MGot326225)
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in

Pittsburgh.
> > Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat

cakey.
> > Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if

candied or
> > maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning

with my
> > coffee.
> >
> > Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the

description
> > above?
> >
> > Grazie!

> Take any biscotti recipe that appeals to you.
> Bake it only "once"! That's the only trick.
>
> Traditionally:
> First bake is shaped as a log
> second bake - slice the log and bake the slices again
>
> Result of second baking: crispy/hard
> (whatever you want to call it) but it's not rock hard.
>
> FYI: My homemade biscotti are never as hard as commercial.
> They are drier than the first bake, but I don't feel like
> I'm going to break a tooth if I eat one.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

=========

I would presume that is because the commercial biscotti sometimes contains
very little (or none!) butter or other fats. I have a Weight Watcher's*
recipe for Espresso Biscotti that contains no butter and is quite crisp
(read "hard"). I make 2 other biscotties that I do use butter in and while
they are crisp (due to the second baking) they are not as hard as the
Espresso recipe.

Does that make any sense? Whew... long, sweaty day...!

Cyndi

sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:45:37 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

> I have a Weight Watcher's* recipe for Espresso Biscotti
> that contains no butter and is quite crisp (read "hard").

So - you going to torture us or will you post the recipe????

sf

sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:45:37 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

> I have a Weight Watcher's* recipe for Espresso Biscotti
> that contains no butter and is quite crisp (read "hard").

So - you going to torture us or will you post the recipe????

sf
sf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:45:37 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

> I have a Weight Watcher's* recipe for Espresso Biscotti
> that contains no butter and is quite crisp (read "hard").

So - you going to torture us or will you post the recipe????

sf
sf

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:23:38 GMT, Wayne >
wrote:

> I forgot to include the link to Stella D'oro...
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/stelladoro/toast_sponge.html

stella d'oro? those bricks?

sf
sf

wrote:

> I forgot to include the link to Stella D'oro...
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/stelladoro/toast_sponge.html

stella d'oro? those bricks?

sf
sf

wrote:

> I forgot to include the link to Stella D'oro...
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/stelladoro/toast_sponge.html

stella d'oro? those bricks?

sf

Wayne

sf > wrote in news:cbnlh0ls5faq57nn9qgs7ui4dt8a8g98no@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:23:38 GMT, Wayne >
> wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to include the link to Stella D'oro...
>>
>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/stelladoro/toast_sponge.html

> stella d'oro? those bricks?
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

True, most of their products are hard, but they do make several varieties
that something like the OP described (without the cherries).

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

sf > wrote in news:cbnlh0ls5faq57nn9qgs7ui4dt8a8g98no@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:23:38 GMT, Wayne >
> wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to include the link to Stella D'oro...
>>
>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/stelladoro/toast_sponge.html

> stella d'oro? those bricks?
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

True, most of their products are hard, but they do make several varieties
that something like the OP described (without the cherries).

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Rick & Cyndi

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:45:37 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have a Weight Watcher's* recipe for Espresso Biscotti
> > that contains no butter and is quite crisp (read "hard").
> >

> So - you going to torture us or will you post the recipe????
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

============

I will - soon. We just recently had to have our computer serviced - some
time between moving it down here and this past month we acquired 15 virus
and a bunch of ad ware junk... ugghh. Therefore, we had to empty out our
hard drive. We're in the midst of putting back some of our files which
includes my R.J. Ross E-cookbook program with so many mouth-watering
goodies... blah, blah, blah...I hope to be able to post it next week.

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:45:37 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have a Weight Watcher's* recipe for Espresso Biscotti
> > that contains no butter and is quite crisp (read "hard").
> >

> So - you going to torture us or will you post the recipe????
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

============

I will - soon. We just recently had to have our computer serviced - some
time between moving it down here and this past month we acquired 15 virus
and a bunch of ad ware junk... ugghh. Therefore, we had to empty out our
hard drive. We're in the midst of putting back some of our files which
includes my R.J. Ross E-cookbook program with so many mouth-watering
goodies... blah, blah, blah...I hope to be able to post it next week.

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 at 10:19:28 AM UTC-4, MGot326225 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I love those soft, yellow-cakey biscotti at Enrico Biscotti in Pittsburgh..
> Those cookies seem to be baked only once to remain soft and somewhat cakey.
> Flavored with anise & filled with almonds & cherries (not sure if candied or
> maraschino). So delish. I could eat those big cookies every morning with my
> coffee.
>
> Does anyone have the recipe that produces cookies similiar to the description
> above?
>
> Grazie!

Hi, in Italy any cookie is a Biscotti even though the real biscotti is hard.. This cookie looks like a biscotti but is soft and pillowy like an Italian egg cookie. This recipe is for the basic plain vanilla flavor but just skip the vanilla and add anise and chopped maraschino or dried cherries.

Ingredients

For the cookie:
3/4 cup salted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the icing and decoration:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons or more of water
2 teaspoons vanilla
rainbow sprinkles
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds or until softened.
Add sugars and beat until combined.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
Add flour and baking powder and mix on low until combined.
On a lightly floured surface, take a scoop of dough and roll out into a long log about 1/2" thick (about the size of your pinky finger.) You want just enough flour so that the dough doesn't stick to your surface, but you want it to hug it a little so you can roll it out. Too much flour will make the surface too slick and your dough will just slide instead of roll.
Cut long roll into 5" lengths. If you have an extra bit of dough at the end that isn't long enough, just put it aside and roll with the next scoop.
Take one 5" section, bring ends together and twist twice (see video.) Place on your cookie sheet about an inch and a half to two inches apart.
Bake for 6-10 minutes until cookie is set and firm but not browning around the edges. Mine took about 8 minutes.
Cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Make your icing. Mix confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough water to get a good drizzling consistency.
Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper (for easier clean up later.)
Dip the top of each cooled cookie into the icing, scraping the excess off on the side of the bowl before placing onto the prepared cookie sheet.
After you've dipped a few cookies, stop to add your sprinkles before the icing hardens, then continue dipping and sprinkling until all cookies are decorated.
Allow icing to set.
Notes

Biscotti Di Anise Dorothy Yereance Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 08:26 PM
Lemon Anise Almond Biscotti Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 30-04-2006 05:18 AM
Anise and Orange Spiced Biscotti Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 30-11-2005 01:17 AM
Anise Biscotti Tim Recipes 0 20-06-2005 12:36 PM
REQ: Biscotti Recipe (soft, cakey, almonds, cherries & anise) MGot326225 Baking 0 10-08-2004 03:20 PM