What to do with Brie?

Old 24-05-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky

Default What to do with Brie?

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 24-05-2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote in message
er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

I love this cheese as is at room temperature. I think it loses something
when baked.

Old 24-05-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11:54 -0500, Sky
wrote:

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

For everyday, I use just crusty bread.... for slightly fancier (like
when the kids come over), they'll throw a head of garlic into the
oven. For company, I serve it with bread, roasted garlic, wedges of
pear and a clump or two of grapes for prettiness. I don't do jams or
nuts on brie.

If you want your brie hot and melty, you can enclose it in brioche
dough and bake. There was also a way to do pan fry brie which
involved a whole mini wheel, but I don't remember how I did it. I
think it was similar to pan frying fish.... some kind of wash, coat
with bread crumbs, fry in butter.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Old 24-05-2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Easy !

Oven-baked potatos with Brie
(Serves 4)

8 potatos
500 grams Brie
young (spring) onions
rosemary
pepper, salt

Wash potatos, wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven at 180 deg C for ca.
40 minutes.
Unwrap potatos. Cut the potatos lengthwise and gently press the halves apart,
so that you get a pocket.
Fill this pocket with thinly sliced Brie and rosemary.
Season with salt and pepper.
Put the potatos back in the oven for ca. 5 minutes, until the brie is molten.

Cut the young onions in thin slices and sprinkle over the potatos.

Server.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 24-05-2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not

Below recipe, cooks best in a glass pan such as you may have for brownies.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Brie, Pepper, Onion soda bread
Categories: Breads, Xxcarol
Yield: 6 Servings

2 c Flour, white all purpose
1 ts Salt
1/3 c Butter
1 c Slivered brie (or small bits
1/2 c Fine chopped onion
1 tb Black pepper
2/3 c Milk
1 tb Baking soda

Start with all the dry ingredients and mix them well in a large bowl.
Now add the butter (softened but not melted) and chop that into the
mix as well as you reasonably can. Add the remaining ingredients and
mix to a dough. Using a preheated oven (always preheat when making
bread or fish!) bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.

You can actually use any cheese I can think of for this (if using
cottage cheese, add a bit more flour if it seems to 'wet') and you
may want to vary the spice used to match the cheese type. The onions
are optional.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 06-26-97
Cooking

MMMMM

Old 24-05-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

I usually eat it as is. However, I've recently seen a recipe for Brie
quiche which looked appetizing - you might google that and try it -
oh, and be sure to report back :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Old 24-05-2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote in message
Oven-baked potatos with Brie
(Serves 4)

8 potatos
500 grams Brie
young (spring) onions
rosemary
pepper, salt

Wash potatos, wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven at
180 deg C for ca. 40 minutes.
Unwrap potatos. Cut the potatos lengthwise and gently
press the halves apart, so that you get a pocket. Fill this
pocket with thinly sliced Brie and rosemary. Season with
salt and pepper. Put the potatos back in the oven for ca.
5 minutes, until the brie is molten.

Cut the young onions in thin slices and sprinkle over the
potatos.

Serve.

Thanks for the recipe, Michael. I never thought about using
rosemary with the brie. Doesn't that "overpower" the brie?

I do something similar to the above recipe but use Maui or
Valencia onions. I slice thick rings and then circle the
potatoes with the rings to keep them together. I also ladle
butter over everything to give them a golden crunch. The
daughter-units will easily consume the entire batch between
themselves so we make more than eight potatoes.

The Ranger

Old 24-05-2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Sky

Sorry I do not have the recipe handy, but I made a fabulous brie dish
once. Penne pasta, steamed broccoli and chunks of brie cheese. All
tossed together and it was delicious. The brie gives it the salt and
the melted cheese hangs all over the pasta and the green broccoli is
beautiful and crunchy.

Wish I still had the recipe.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Old 24-05-2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" schrieb :
Michael Kuettner wrote :
Oven-baked potatos with Brie
(Serves 4)

snip
Thanks for the recipe, Michael. I never thought about using rosemary with the
brie. Doesn't that "overpower" the brie?

You're welcome.
No, the rosemary adds to the taste. Use sparingly and use fresh
rosemary.
For a real kick, try finely chopped Liebstoeckel - Levisticum
officinale - leaves instead of rosemary.

I do something similar to the above recipe but use Maui or Valencia onions.

Those are white salad onions, right ?
Spring onions are young onions which taste like a mixture
of leek and onion; you use the greens, too.
Very good sprinkled over salads, btw.

I slice thick rings and then circle the potatoes with the rings to keep them
together. I also ladle butter over everything to give them a golden crunch.
The daughter-units will easily consume the entire batch between themselves so
we make more than eight potatoes.

Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of the potato,
I guess.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 24-05-2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote in message
[snip]
Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of
the potato, I guess.

We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have enough cheese
and butter (and other assorted dairy) on a potato.

The Ranger

Old 24-05-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese.

We love brie. When we don't just eat it, I do one of the following
things with it:

Wrap it in puff pastry, with or without nuts / dried fruit /
preserves, and bake it.

Cube it, put it into a chafing dish or crockpot with walnuts and
dried cranberries, and warm until the cubes are melty, then dip with
sturdy crackers.

Make omelettes with it.

Make brie-and-pesto torte -- cut it horizontally into 2 or 3 slices,
then "ice" the middles with pesto -- I use two kinds if I'm doing 3
slices.

Make pasta and toss the hot pasta with brie cubes and other stuff --
one of our favorites is sauteed onions, peas, and crumbled bacon.

Serene
Old 24-05-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote in
:

wrote:

er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

I usually eat it as is. However, I've recently seen a recipe for Brie
quiche which looked appetizing - you might google that and try it -
oh, and be sure to report back :-)

I recently had a Brie and smoked salmon pizza that was pretty good.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Old 24-05-2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
er, cheese that is G. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Sky

I like room temp brie smeared on ripe pear slices.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 24-05-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" schrieb :
Michael Kuettner wrote :
[snip]
Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of
the potato, I guess.

We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have enough cheese and butter (and
other assorted dairy) on a potato.

Butter _or_ cheese, you heathen ;-)

Another nice addition to baked potato would be sour cream mixed
with chopped herbs.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner