Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brie

Brie is one of my favorite cheeses (even though it's not British). However, there are so many similar cheeses with different names. Is there an "official" definition for Brie?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/14, 2:09 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> Brie is one of my favorite cheeses (even though it's not British).
> However, there are so many similar cheeses with different names. Is
> there an "official" definition for Brie?

Wikipedia is your friend. Try looking under "brie" -- the article is
quite accurate.

For purists, if it doesn't come from the département of Seine et-Marne
in France, it's not brie. Ymmv, of course.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> From what I can tell, that winery sells all sorts of cheese, but

> >> doesn't actually make any. So it could have been anything.

> >> -sw

> > No, this cheese was not made on the premises. I don't follow your logic of 'it could have been anything'.

> > I'll know it when I see it and maybe a trip there is in the near future and I can report back.

> > Julie P.

> I'm not sure why a vineyard/winery would make their own cheese, anyway.
>
> They stock cheeses because it's a natural pairing with wine. They
>
> probably also sell various types of crackers and other foodstuffs.
>

> Jill

Gosh, I don't know why either. Next time I'm there I'll ask.

I'll take a guess and say that they are two entities on the same premises with a symbiotic relationship. Not sure of this, mind you, just a guess. I will ask though.

Julie P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

wrote:

>>> I wasn't seriously thinking they are right next to a dairy. But
>>> hey, they might be. Don't ask on my account. I'm nowhere near
>>> there. Jill

>> Well now I'm curious, lol.
>>
>> Julie P.
>>

> That's a good thing, especially since you really liked the brie. I
> like good brie, too. I have not had the fortune to go to France, so I
> take what I can get. What's really nice is an omelet made with brie
> and crumbled bacon. Mmmmm.
>
> Jill

This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>

Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
stronger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
> eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
> bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
>
> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
> stronger.

Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Well now I'm curious, lol.
>>>
>>> Julie P.
>>>

>> That's a good thing, especially since you really liked the brie. I
>> like good brie, too. I have not had the fortune to go to France, so I
>> take what I can get. What's really nice is an omelet made with brie
>> and crumbled bacon. Mmmmm.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
> eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
> bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>

No comment on buying brie at Walmart.

> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
> stronger.

I cannot comment on the brie you tried. But as you discovered, brie is
nothing like Limburger. Good brie is an excellent cheese. I like it
with nice hearty whole wheat crackers. Good brie is a wonderful added
to an omelet.

Limburger is a totally different thing. My nose can't tolerate it. It
might taste great, but like Durian, I can't get past the stench.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>> >

>> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart
>> - eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I
>> noticed. A bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
>>
>> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
>> stronger.

> Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
> sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.

Whoops! I had mine on crackers. Sorry I gave the impression I used it in
an omelet. I just wanted to mention I tried it for the first time. I'll
try to be clearer in the future.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2014 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>>>

>> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
>> eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
>> bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
>>
>> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
>> stronger.

> Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
> sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.

To each his/her own. In my experience (at home and in a restaurant)
brie is *very* good in an omelet.

People put all sorts of things in omelets I wouldn't want. Hot (and
sweet) peppers. Chunks of onions. Mushrooms. Salsa. Cheese "sauce".

I'd rather just have an omelet cooked with some room temp brie added,
thanks. Add some fried crumbled bacon, better. Sauteed cooked spinach
with brie and bacon, even better than that. BTDT.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Limburger is a totally different thing. My nose can't tolerate it. It
> might taste great, but like Durian, I can't get past the stench.

I can't imagine the first person that even tried to eat limburger
cheese and discovered that it was safe to eat. Rotten to the max
smell. I've never tried it but I did smell a package in the store
once. oh dear lord.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Feb 2014 17:30:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >> >

> >> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart
> >> - eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I
> >> noticed. A bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
> >>
> >> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
> >> stronger.

> > Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
> > sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.
> >

> Whoops! I had mine on crackers. Sorry I gave the impression I used it in
> an omelet. I just wanted to mention I tried it for the first time. I'll
> try to be clearer in the future.

Oh, OK! In that case, have you ever roasted a head of garlic? That's
another way to eat brie. Take a slice of baguette, smear a clove of
roasted garlic on it and top with a slice of brie. Accompany with
some grapes or slices of pear. Or you can use the slices of pear as
an alternative to bread/cracker.

Not sure if you bought double or triple cream brie, but if you can
find either one - buy it and try it. It will be soft and very mild
tasting. If you want a sharper cheese than brie, find Camembert. If
you're looking for a similar cheese with a mild blue cheese flavor to
it, find some Cambozola. I love that stuff.

Hopefully you have a cheese shop in your area or your grocer stores at
least have a decent cheese section to them. There's nothing worse
than those pre-wrapped packages of brie they sell in small town
situations. By small town, I mean places like Corvallis, Oregon -
which should have a much better selection of cheeses at the grocery
store level considering it's a college town.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:40:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/3/2014 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
> > On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >>>

> >> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
> >> eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
> >> bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
> >>
> >> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
> >> stronger.

> > Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
> > sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.
> >

> To each his/her own. In my experience (at home and in a restaurant)
> brie is *very* good in an omelet.
>
> People put all sorts of things in omelets I wouldn't want. Hot (and
> sweet) peppers. Chunks of onions. Mushrooms. Salsa. Cheese "sauce".
>
> I'd rather just have an omelet cooked with some room temp brie added,
> thanks. Add some fried crumbled bacon, better. Sauteed cooked spinach
> with brie and bacon, even better than that. BTDT.

I'm not a big fan of all the cr*p they put in omelets either.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On 3 Feb 2014 17:30:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote in
>> :

>> > Sorry, but the thought of brie in an omelet sounds just as bad
>> > sounding as the cream cheese idea from last week.
>> >

>> Whoops! I had mine on crackers. Sorry I gave the impression I used
>> it in
>> an omelet. I just wanted to mention I tried it for the first time.
>> I'll try to be clearer in the future.

> Oh, OK! In that case, have you ever roasted a head of garlic? That's
> another way to eat brie. Take a slice of baguette, smear a clove of
> roasted garlic on it and top with a slice of brie. Accompany with
> some grapes or slices of pear. Or you can use the slices of pear as
> an alternative to bread/cracker.
>
> Not sure if you bought double or triple cream brie, but if you can
> find either one - buy it and try it. It will be soft and very mild
> tasting. If you want a sharper cheese than brie, find Camembert. If
> you're looking for a similar cheese with a mild blue cheese flavor to
> it, find some Cambozola. I love that stuff.
>
> Hopefully you have a cheese shop in your area or your grocer stores at
> least have a decent cheese section to them. There's nothing worse
> than those pre-wrapped packages of brie they sell in small town
> situations. By small town, I mean places like Corvallis, Oregon -
> which should have a much better selection of cheeses at the grocery
> store level considering it's a college town.

No cheese shops here I'm aware of. Very few small groceries and those are
Hispanic. Best cheese choice is in Albertson but is not that much better
than Walmart's cheese display and a lot more expensive.

So good cheese is hard to find. I hate to buy on line and pay the
expensive S & H.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:48:07 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> I can't imagine the first person that even tried to eat limburger
> cheese and discovered that it was safe to eat. Rotten to the max
> smell. I've never tried it but I did smell a package in the store
> once. oh dear lord.
>
> G.

Limburger was featured in a Charlie Chaplin film. I
believe it was in "Shoulder Arms". He was using it as a
weapon, throwing it across the trenches at the Germans.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK > wrote:
snip

>This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart -
>eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I noticed. A
>bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>
>
>Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
>stronger.

I shouldn't have any of the flavor or pungency of limburger. It's
entirely different.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Feb 2014 18:25:05 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> So good cheese is hard to find. I hate to buy on line and pay the
> expensive S & H.

Too bad! I rarely buy online either - for the very same reason.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 3 Feb 2014 17:14:10 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> This thread got me curious about brie. Picked up a package at Walmart
>> - eight little 1 oz wrapped slices in the package. Only brand I
>> noticed. A bit over $2. Said genuine brie on package.<s>

> That's funny. Only at Walmart would you find pre-sliced, individually
> wrapped "genuine brie".
>
>> Not bad. Not as good as Limburger though. I had hoped it would be
>> stronger.

> Brie is very mild unless it also contains some brevabacterium Linens
> (sweaty foot bacteria). The only true brie that I know that fits that
> description is Brie de Melun. But some of the brie-like cheese such
> as Epoisses and Chimay will also fit that bill.
>
> -sw

I think my love of Limburger is genetic. And skipped a generation - my
mother and father didn't eat it that I'm aware of. But my maternal
grandmother loved it, as I remember as a kid. I don't think I ever tried
it then though. She bought it at the neighborhood grocery in our
Polish/German neighborhood in NW Chicago as she did all her groceries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:

> On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:48:07 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I can't imagine the first person that even tried to eat limburger
> > cheese and discovered that it was safe to eat. Rotten to the max
> > smell. I've never tried it but I did smell a package in the store
> > once. oh dear lord.
> >
> > G.

> Limburger was featured in a Charlie Chaplin film. I
> believe it was in "Shoulder Arms". He was using it as a
> weapon, throwing it across the trenches at the Germans.

The infamous WW1 chemical warfare!

G.

Brie Soup jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 18 02-01-2015 09:40 PM
What to do with Brie? Sky General Cooking 41 28-05-2008 04:58 PM
brie en croute / baked brie Jude General Cooking 4 07-03-2007 02:19 PM
Brie Soup Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2007 02:05 PM
Brie question Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 8 27-09-2005 07:38 AM