Can you Freeze Miso Paste ?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can you Freeze Miso Paste ?

Hi,

As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have an expiry
date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I could store it.

Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

Thanks

Jason

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jason wrote on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:50:49 -0700:

J As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

J I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have
J an expiry date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I
J could store it.

J Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

J Thanks

It seems to usually keep for months in a lidded container in
the regular fridge. I'd only chuck it if it grew any sort of
mold.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-11, Jason wrote:

As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have an expiry
date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I could store it.

Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

Store miso tightly sealed in the refrigerator, where it will keep for
several months. It is not advisable to freeze miso.

- Reference: Soy Foods Association of North America
http://tinyurl.com/27awmh

--
Clay Irving
Do not iron clothes on body.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jason wrote:
Hi,

As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have an expiry
date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I could store it.

Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

Thanks

Jason

It will keep in the fridge for many more months. Just make sure it is
well wrapped.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 1:50 pm, Jason wrote:
Hi,

As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have an expiry
date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I could store it.

Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

Thanks

Jason

There's yeast in the miso. It's used to ferment the miso and they're
alive, which is party why miso keeps for so long (it's technically
already rotten to begin with). If you freeze the miso, you'll kill all
the friendly bacteria. It probably won't keep as long after freezing.

Old 13-07-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jason wrote:

Hi,

As the tittle says can you freeze Miso paste ?

I have a whole chunk that i won't be using but seems to have an expiry
date of tomorrow and I was wondering how and if I could store it.

Unfortunately all the packaging is in Japanese.

Thanks

Jason

If the expiry date is tomorrow than toss it and buy fresh. It does
freeze well (in an airtight container) but the purists will say the
'live' enyzmes won't survive freezing. But that isn't why I buy it
anyway.