Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soybean paste vs Miso.. Attn Steve Wertz??!!

So I too hastily tossed out a half used container of fermented soybean
paste I used last fall for my doejabulgogi. Now I can't find it again in
my Asian market. I recall now I had to go a few markets to find it last
year.
This is what I had/want: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/doenjang

The market convinced me to substitute Miso paste for the missing
ingredient they don't sell.

Does anyone know if Miso (something I've never purchased before) is
anywhere close to the flavor I seek? The color and consistency are about
the same. I really, REALLY don't have a lot of opportunity to shop this
week for our annual Koreanfeast to be held this Friday so I seek any and
all input.
TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:34:43 AM UTC+10, Goomba38 wrote:

> Does anyone know if Miso (something I've never purchased before) is
> anywhere close to the flavor I seek?

Miso can work as a substitute for doenjang. Get a dark red miso; that's about the closest you'll get to doenjang. White miso is too mild, IMO.

I find that miso (even a strongish red miso) is still somewhat milder than doenjang. So you could add a little more. But miso is usually saltier - doenjang has about 3000-4000mg sodium per 100g, and miso about 4500-5000mg/100g. So you might like to look for a not-too-salty miso.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/13 9:38 PM, Timo wrote:
> On Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:34:43 AM UTC+10, Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if Miso (something I've never purchased before) is
>> anywhere close to the flavor I seek?

> Miso can work as a substitute for doenjang. Get a dark red miso; that's about the closest you'll get to doenjang. White miso is too mild, IMO.
>
> I find that miso (even a strongish red miso) is still somewhat milder than doenjang. So you could add a little more. But miso is usually saltier - doenjang has about 3000-4000mg sodium per 100g, and miso about 4500-5000mg/100g. So you might like to look for a not-too-salty miso.

Thank you for the input! Much appreciated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> So I too hastily tossed out a half used container of fermented soybean
> paste I used last fall for my doejabulgogi. Now I can't find it again in
> my Asian market. I recall now I had to go a few markets to find it last
> year.
> This is what I had/want: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/doenjang
>
> The market convinced me to substitute Miso paste for the missing
> ingredient they don't sell.
>
> Does anyone know if Miso (something I've never purchased before) is
> anywhere close to the flavor I seek? The color and consistency are about
> the same. I really, REALLY don't have a lot of opportunity to shop this
> week for our annual Koreanfeast to be held this Friday so I seek any and
> all input.
> TIA

Doenjang is usually rather more robust in taste and coarser in texture
than any kind of the Japanese miso paste. Anyway, I personally would
not use either as a ssamjang (sauce for wrapping) or a marinade for any
kind of bulgogi or galbi. I prefer gochujang (chile pepper paste, often
with some doenjang mixed in) with a spiciness level of at least 3, or at
the very least a mix of gochujang and doenjang. (FWIW, the latter is
what is most often served at restaurants here in Little Korea and I
usually ask to replace it with hot gochujang).

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/13 1:25 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> If you're going to use it as part of a marinade then one of those
> sqwert bottles or tubs of miso will work fine. But miso pastes vary
> only half as much as the multitudes of Korean broad and soy bean
> pastes.
>
> I think you'd be fine unless you're doing a stir-fry. Like most
> people who ask for specific help, they leave out the details of WTF
> they're trying to cook so it's hard to give advice.
>
> -sw

yeah, I needed it for my Ssamjang.

An example of who and what Steve Wertz is casa bona Barbecue 29 02-07-2013 01:44 AM
An example of who and what Steve Wertz is casa bona General Cooking 21 29-06-2013 03:27 PM
Steve Wertz? [email protected] Barbecue 1 13-10-2005 03:51 AM
Steve Wertz kilikini Barbecue 4 06-08-2004 08:15 PM
PING Steve Wertz Ol' Hippie Barbecue 0 18-12-2003 08:32 PM