Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Cshenk.... Miso paste

The friends that visited and dropped off the chicken broth, also gave me a
packet of Hikari White Miso paste..... or Shinshu Miso as it's known on the
website.....

http://www.hikarimiso.com/products/m..._tekiryou.html

Now, I can't have any solids at the moment, so have you got any ideas on how
I can use this with some seasonings (if needed) that I'll have in the pantry
without having to hunt down a Japanese shop??

My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of 'healing powers'.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"Religion - all religion - is false. It's the grand delusion of the weak-
willed. the fearful, the sheep of the world, who haven't the strength to lead
but want only to be led."

Stepan Spalko, "The Bourne Legacy"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:36:26 GMT:

> http://www.hikarimiso.com/products/m..._tekiryou.html

> Now, I can't have any solids at the moment, so have you got
> any ideas on how I can use this with some seasonings (if
> needed) that I'll have in the pantry without having to hunt
> down a Japanese shop??

> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of
> 'healing powers'.

Try looking up recipes for Miso Soup if you can't have solids.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i173cd$fih$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:36:26 GMT:
>
>> http://www.hikarimiso.com/products/m..._tekiryou.html

>> Now, I can't have any solids at the moment, so have you got
>> any ideas on how I can use this with some seasonings (if
>> needed) that I'll have in the pantry without having to hunt
>> down a Japanese shop??

>> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of
>> 'healing powers'.

> Try looking up recipes for Miso Soup if you can't have solids.

Do try to read a post thoroughly before replying.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"Religion - all religion - is false. It's the grand delusion of the weak-
willed. the fearful, the sheep of the world, who haven't the strength to lead
but want only to be led."

Stepan Spalko, "The Bourne Legacy"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:26:04 GMT:

>> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:36:26 GMT:
>>
>>> http://www.hikarimiso.com/products/m..._tekiryou.html

>>> Now, I can't have any solids at the moment, so have you got
>>> any ideas on how I can use this with some seasonings (if
>>> needed) that I'll have in the pantry without having to hunt
>>> down a Japanese shop??

>>> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of
>>> 'healing powers'.

>> Try looking up recipes for Miso Soup if you can't have
>> solids.
>>

> Do try to read a post thoroughly before replying.

Do try not to be so picky! You can make Miso soup without using
Hon-dashi (bonito stock), tho' the dashi is on sale in more
sophisticated supermarkets

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James replied to Captain Peter Swallows:

>>> Try looking up recipes for Miso Soup if you can't have
>>> solids.
>>>

>> Do try to read a post thoroughly before replying.

> Do try not to be so picky! You can make Miso soup without using Hon-dashi
> (bonito stock), tho' the dashi is on sale in more sophisticated
> supermarkets

You'll have to cut Swallows some slack; his brain was dislocated during the
ass surgery.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i17mpb$r15
:

> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:26:04 GMT:

>>> Try looking up recipes for Miso Soup if you can't have
>>> solids.
>>>

>> Do try to read a post thoroughly before replying.

> Do try not to be so picky!

Well, at this point in time, I am. Do *you* have a recipe where I can use
that paste (above) and stuff that I would most likely have in my pantry??

I asked Cshenk because she is the accredited Japanese guru at this point
in time.

Do *you* have as much Japanese experience as she does? (Apart from
frequenting your local Sushi Bar?)

> You can make Miso soup without using
> Hon-dashi (bonito stock), tho' the dashi is on sale in more
> sophisticated supermarkets

What part of .........

"so have you got any ideas on how I can use this with some seasonings (if
needed) that I'll have in the pantry without having to hunt down a
Japanese shop??"

don't you understand?

Do you have a recipe/idea for using Shinshu Miso and pantry ingredients?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"Religion - all religion - is false. It's the grand delusion of the weak-
willed. the fearful, the sheep of the world, who haven't the strength to
lead but want only to be led."

Stepan Spalko, "The Bourne Legacy"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 20:52:25 GMT:

>>> Do try to read a post thoroughly before replying.

>> Do try not to be so picky!

> Well, at this point in time, I am. Do *you* have a recipe
> where I can use that paste (above) and stuff that I would most
> likely have in my pantry??

> I asked Cshenk because she is the accredited Japanese guru at
> this point in time.

> Do *you* have as much Japanese experience as she does? (Apart
> from frequenting your local Sushi Bar?)

>> You can make Miso soup without using
>> Hon-dashi (bonito stock), tho' the dashi is on sale in more
>> sophisticated supermarkets
>>

> What part of .........

> "so have you got any ideas on how I can use this with some
> seasonings (if needed) that I'll have in the pantry without
> having to hunt down a Japanese shop??"

> don't you understand?

> Do you have a recipe/idea for using Shinshu Miso and pantry
> ingredients?

I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good one. I cook
Japanese food too including Miso soup and a number of things that might
be called Japanese home cooking, like Niku-Jago stew, various noodles
and some transplanted Japanese things like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and
sunomono, bean sprout pickles etc. Most of these involve things that
will have to be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for you
and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could be good. In
default of hon-dashi you could add any old soy sauce and a little oyster
sauce, something that's often available in the oriental section of a
regular supermarket.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i18839$klp
:

>> Do you have a recipe/idea for using Shinshu Miso and pantry
>> ingredients?

> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good one.

I think so.

> I cook
> Japanese food too including Miso soup and a number of things that might
> be called Japanese home cooking, like Niku-Jago stew, various noodles
> and some transplanted Japanese things like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and
> sunomono, bean sprout pickles etc. Most of these involve things that
> will have to be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for you

Nope. Not even tofu.

It's not the chewing part, it's the stuff getting down/through part.
I had a chunk of my stomach 'bag' cut out, as well as a large piece of my
small intestine.

Up till a few days ago, even water was like swallowing a brick wrapped in
barbed wire, when it hit those parts of my gut.

> and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could be good.

OK, so I use stock to water down the paste. That's a start.

>In
> default of hon-dashi you could add any old soy sauce and a little oyster
> sauce, something that's often available in the oriental section of a
> regular supermarket.

They are regulars in my pantry.

Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also have seveal
bottles of oyster sauce.

I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for me.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:43:15 GMT:

>>> Do you have a recipe/idea for using Shinshu Miso and pantry
>>> ingredients?

>> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good
>> one.

> I think so.

>> I cook
>> Japanese food too including Miso soup and a number of things
>> that might be called Japanese home cooking, like Niku-Jago
>> stew, various noodles and some transplanted Japanese things
>> like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and sunomono, bean sprout
>> pickles etc. Most of these involve things that will have to
>> be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for you

> Nope. Not even tofu.

> It's not the chewing part, it's the stuff getting down/through
> part. I had a chunk of my stomach 'bag' cut out, as well as a
> large piece of my small intestine.

> Up till a few days ago, even water was like swallowing a brick
> wrapped in barbed wire, when it hit those parts of my gut.

>> and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could
>> be good.

> OK, so I use stock to water down the paste. That's a start.

>> In
>> default of hon-dashi you could add any old soy sauce and a
>> little oyster sauce, something that's often available in the
>> oriental section of a regular supermarket.
>>

> They are regulars in my pantry.

> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also
> have seveal bottles of oyster sauce.

> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for
> me.

Basically the idea is to make a clear soup, add flavorings and chopped
tofu and various vegetables, tho' you'd want to avoid those. After
cooking for about five minutes, you take out a spoonful or two, stir a
similar amount of miso into that, return to the pan and remove just
after it boils. You don't really cook the miso and the appearance of
columns of miso is most attractive.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i189d3$eu$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:43:15 GMT:

>> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also
>> have seveal bottles of oyster sauce.

>> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for
>> me.

> Basically the idea is to make a clear soup, add flavorings and chopped
> tofu and various vegetables, tho' you'd want to avoid those. After
> cooking for about five minutes, you take out a spoonful or two, stir a
> similar amount of miso into that, return to the pan and remove just
> after it boils. You don't really cook the miso and the appearance of
> columns of miso is most attractive.

A lot of the recipes call for dashi....... can I substitute a splash of fish
sauce for that?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cshenk.... Miso paste

"PL" > wrote

> The friends that visited and dropped off the chicken broth, also gave me a
> packet of Hikari White Miso paste..... or Shinshu Miso as it's known on
> the
> website.....

> http://www.hikarimiso.com/products/m..._tekiryou.html

> Now, I can't have any solids at the moment, so have you got any ideas on
> how
> I can use this with some seasonings (if needed) that I'll have in the
> pantry
> without having to hunt down a Japanese shop??

> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of 'healing
> powers'.

Miso will count as a 'liquid' if you are not limited to clear soups (must
have missed a post, didnt know you had issues just now).

First up, it lasts forever and will stay soft in the freezer so you can
finger bits off for use. Tuck the bag in a baggoe and the baggie sealed in
the freezer.

One of the simplest soups is just chicken broth, with a little miso added.
You want to start with about 1 TS (5ml?) per 3/4 cup or so serving of broth.
Warm the broth and drop it in then stir just a bit. Part of the charm is it
will settle then 'look like a flower rising from the deep' as you restir the
bowl from time to time as eating. You may like up to 1 TB of it in a cup of
broth but it is a high sodium product so watch Doc's advice on that.

Extra seasonings are not needed but can be added if you wish.

Other uses, lightly coating fish, especially white fleshed ones such as
'butter fish, flat fish, anything firm enough to pan fry' but it's also used
with panko (or other bread crumbs) and mayo to make a fish batter which can
be baked.

Miso comes in many colors and won't bore you with the various Japan names
but the darker the color, the stronger the flavor. White is excellent to
start with although I have never had a true 'white' as it wasnt popular in
my area of kyushu. I recall seeing it in Hawaii though.

The 'healthful' notes are due to it having lots of vitamins and other
things.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=114

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 23:08:11 GMT:

>> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:43:15 GMT:

>>> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I
>>> also have seveal bottles of oyster sauce.

>>> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for
>>> me.

>> Basically the idea is to make a clear soup, add flavorings
>> and chopped tofu and various vegetables, tho' you'd want to
>> avoid those. After cooking for about five minutes, you take
>> out a spoonful or two, stir a similar amount of miso into
>> that, return to the pan and remove just after it boils. You
>> don't really cook the miso and the appearance of columns of
>> miso is most attractive.
>>

> A lot of the recipes call for dashi....... can I substitute a
> splash of fish sauce for that?

You probably could and chinese "oyster sauce" would work.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" > wrote
> "James Silverton" wrote

>>> Do you have a recipe/idea for using Shinshu Miso and pantry
>>> ingredients?

>> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good one.

> I think so.

Hey, took me 5 hours to see it though!

>> sunomono, bean sprout pickles etc. Most of these involve things that
>> will have to be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for you

> Nope. Not even tofu.

Not in the kitchen eh?

> It's not the chewing part, it's the stuff getting down/through part.
> I had a chunk of my stomach 'bag' cut out, as well as a large piece of my
> small intestine.

OUCH!

> Up till a few days ago, even water was like swallowing a brick wrapped in
> barbed wire, when it hit those parts of my gut.
>> and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could be good.

> OK, so I use stock to water down the paste. That's a start.

You have chicken stock. Add a little miso to that. You need to keep a
low-load on the tummy for now. Miso has a higher than you would expect,
protien content. It may be one of the few ways you can accept a bit of it
just now. 2 weeks of no protien intake, and your body starts dismantling
your muscles a bit.

> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also have seveal
> bottles of oyster sauce.
>
> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for me.

I'd advise just trying some in that chicken stock you have as is. If you
want then, you can add a little something else that appeals to *you* with
chicken broth.

I was going to suggest 'kangkoon/kangkong' (hollow stemed spinach) with just
the leaf bits bit reading this note, might not be a good idea.

Here's one from a long ago post:

---------
Jason, you need a liquid 'smoothie' but not fruit.
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 TS light miso
1 TS raw cod
1 green bean

Blender that all up then heat in the microwave. That should work post
surgery

------
Jason had stomach cancer surgery and was never overweight so hadn't the
reserves post surgical. He got better than got killed in the 9/11 WTC
attack. As memory is all I have of the conversation, I hope I accurately
represent this. It was 1997 and he wasnt able to go out much to 'shop' so
the list was mostly based on what he had and he was able to handle a little
soft solids. Doc had him on 'blender food' with a high calcium need and he
was dead tired of fruits and yogurt. He wanted something that 'felt' like
MEAT at least in flavor and needed the yogurt apparently. He also required
very 'bland' and this recipe made 3 servings for him, spaced over at 3 hour
intervals (if I recall that right).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" > wrote

> A lot of the recipes call for dashi....... can I substitute a splash of
> fish
> sauce for that?

Yes and no. the term 'fish sauce' is too generic in asia. Half mean 'made
of fish' and half mean 'use on fish'.

Chicken stock when it comes to just adding Miso and not getting fancy, works
just spiffy. 'Westernized' but even the Japanese do that and have for ages.

Dashi is a mix of dried fish and seaweed. You will not get the identical
flavor from any 'patis' (sauce made from fish to me but not all 'patis' are
that either!) but that doesnt mean to me you shouldnt experiment to see if
*you* like it.

I see nothing wrong with adding a little oyster sauce to the chicken stock
if you wish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

>> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of 'healing
>> powers'.

> Miso will count as a 'liquid' if you are not limited to clear soups
> (must have missed a post, didnt know you had issues just now).

Email sent.

> First up, it lasts forever and will stay soft in the freezer so you can
> finger bits off for use. Tuck the bag in a baggoe and the baggie sealed
> in the freezer.

Cool!! I was wondering about storage, as it's a 400g bag, and I can't see
me using a couple teaspoons at a time till it's all gone.

> One of the simplest soups is just chicken broth, with a little miso
> added. You want to start with about 1 TS (5ml?) per 3/4 cup or so
> serving of broth. Warm the broth and drop it in then stir just a bit.
> Part of the charm is it will settle then 'look like a flower rising from
> the deep' as you restir the bowl from time to time as eating. You may
> like up to 1 TB of it in a cup of broth but it is a high sodium product
> so watch Doc's advice on that.

Sodium isn't a problem at the moment. I'm supposed to be drinking about 3-
5lts of fluid per day.

And not one drop of it is red wine!!! :-/

Actually haven't had a drop of alcohol for a month now.... and don't even
miss it.

Not supposed to have any for another 3 weeks, just in case it causes me to
vomit. That would be *bad*!!

> Extra seasonings are not needed but can be added if you wish.

Okie doke, will try it by itself first off and see how we go.

> Other uses, lightly coating fish, especially white fleshed ones such as
> 'butter fish, flat fish, anything firm enough to pan fry' but it's also
> used with panko (or other bread crumbs) and mayo to make a fish batter
> which can be baked.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, great leftover ideas........ I'm looking forward to
a bit of fish.

> Miso comes in many colors and won't bore you with the various Japan
> names but the darker the color, the stronger the flavor. White is
> excellent to start with although I have never had a true 'white' as it
> wasnt popular in my area of kyushu. I recall seeing it in Hawaii
> though.

I take it the 'unami' of Shinsu Miso is toned down a bit?? Good for
beginners :-)

> The 'healthful' notes are due to it having lots of vitamins and other
> things.
>
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=114

WoW!! Thanks for that...... I'll be getting the SO to read that when she
gets home from work...... and I think she just might become a Miso convert
as well!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i18aij$ceb
:

> PL wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 23:08:11 GMT:

>>> Basically the idea is to make a clear soup, add flavorings
>>> and chopped tofu and various vegetables, tho' you'd want to
>>> avoid those. After cooking for about five minutes, you take
>>> out a spoonful or two, stir a similar amount of miso into
>>> that, return to the pan and remove just after it boils. You
>>> don't really cook the miso and the appearance of columns of
>>> miso is most attractive.
>>>

>> A lot of the recipes call for dashi....... can I substitute a
>> splash of fish sauce for that?

> You probably could and chinese "oyster sauce" would work.

I'll try plain first..... then get adventurous :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" > wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in

>>> My mates wife bought it for me as she says it has a lot of 'healing
>>> powers'.

>> Miso will count as a 'liquid' if you are not limited to clear soups
>> (must have missed a post, didnt know you had issues just now).

> Email sent.

Bless you my friend and replied to.

>> First up, it lasts forever and will stay soft in the freezer so you can
>> finger bits off for use. Tuck the bag in a baggoe and the baggie sealed
>> in the freezer.

> Cool!! I was wondering about storage, as it's a 400g bag, and I can't see
> me using a couple teaspoons at a time till it's all gone.

I though that was really neat the first time I tried it. This may not work
for the watered down Hawaii versions meant to be used by 'the tub'. but it
works for the real paste.

No, I can't tell you more about the Hawaii version other than it sloshed
when you shook it. To my finances then, it was too expensive and to my
sensibilities now after years in Japan, it just 'feels wrong'.

>> One of the simplest soups is just chicken broth, with a little miso
>> added. You want to start with about 1 TS (5ml?) per 3/4 cup or so
>> serving of broth. Warm the broth and drop it in then stir just a bit.
>> Part of the charm is it will settle then 'look like a flower rising from
>> the deep' as you restir the bowl from time to time as eating. You may
>> like up to 1 TB of it in a cup of broth but it is a high sodium product
>> so watch Doc's advice on that.

> Sodium isn't a problem at the moment. I'm supposed to be drinking about 3-
> 5lts of fluid per day.
> And not one drop of it is red wine!!! :-/

LOL! Poor thing! You will have to get by on miso chicken soup for a day or
so.

>> Extra seasonings are not needed but can be added if you wish.

> Okie doke, will try it by itself first off and see how we go.

Basic is very mild. I wont call it 'meaty' but you are looking at more
protien than you think.

Protien isnt 'as important' for women (which doesnt mean it isnt, just a bit
of degree).

>> Other uses, lightly coating fish, especially white fleshed ones such as
>> 'butter fish, flat fish, anything firm enough to pan fry' but it's also
>> used with panko (or other bread crumbs) and mayo to make a fish batter
>> which can be baked.

> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, great leftover ideas........ I'm looking forward to
> a bit of fish.
>

>> Miso comes in many colors and won't bore you with the various Japan
>> names but the darker the color, the stronger the flavor. White is
>> excellent to start with although I have never had a true 'white' as it
>> wasnt popular in my area of kyushu. I recall seeing it in Hawaii
>> though.

> I take it the 'unami' of Shinsu Miso is toned down a bit?? Good for
> beginners :-)

Just a lighter treatment due to area. My memory of learning Miso was 'the
Miso Lady' in Sasebo.

I learned Miso from walking up to this one (of many at first) strange shops
with 'what the heck is that'. Her's were in wood barrels with plastic over
it. People would walk up and point with fore-finger and then hold up from
pinky to thumb a few fingers and she'd make balls (marble or a bit bigger).
Now and again one would point pinky as if with a scoup and you'd get a
trial.

Once I was bold enough to try that, she was all grins as she had seen me
hanging back to try to figure it out.

>> The 'healthful' notes are due to it having lots of vitamins and other
>> things.
>>
>> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=114

> WoW!! Thanks for that...... I'll be getting the SO to read that when she
> gets home from work...... and I think she just might become a Miso convert
> as well!!

Hehe some of what you need just now, is what Doctors recomend. Check
obviously with your Doctor but I bet they say 'good stuff'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "PL" > wrote
>> "James Silverton" wrote

>>> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good one.

>> I think so.

> Hey, took me 5 hours to see it though!

Better late, than never :-)

>>> sunomono, bean sprout pickles etc. Most of these involve things that
>>> will have to be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for
>>> you

>> Nope. Not even tofu.

> Not in the kitchen eh?

We're actually quite fond of tofu...... I've used it a lot in stir-frys etc.

>> It's not the chewing part, it's the stuff getting down/through part.
>> I had a chunk of my stomach 'bag' cut out, as well as a large piece of
>> my small intestine.

> OUCH!

Yeah....That's why the no-tofu ;-)

>> Up till a few days ago, even water was like swallowing a brick wrapped
>> in barbed wire, when it hit those parts of my gut.
>>> and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could be good.

>> OK, so I use stock to water down the paste. That's a start.

> You have chicken stock. Add a little miso to that. You need to keep a
> low-load on the tummy for now. Miso has a higher than you would expect,
> protien content.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, steak and eggs in every bowl!!

> It may be one of the few ways you can accept a bit of
> it just now. 2 weeks of no protien intake, and your body starts
> dismantling your muscles a bit.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep up the protien level with shakes etc (which I
*hate*), so this might be a great substitute.

Another week or so and I can hopefully start lifting weights again.......
I've lost a bit of 'beef' at the moment, and don't want to drop down too
much, otherwise I'll start looking like an Auschwitz survivor.

For my height/build, my "ideal" weight (according to all the "experts") is
between 167-189lbs (75.7 - 85.7kgs)!!

LOL!! I got down to 95kgs (209.5lbs) back in the mid 90's, and all my friends
thought I was dying from cancer!!! I was emaciated!!

So I'm going to try and maintain at 100kgs (220.4lbs), which was my 'fighting
weight' in the Army.

>> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also have
>> seveal bottles of oyster sauce.
>>
>> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for me.

> I'd advise just trying some in that chicken stock you have as is. If
> you want then, you can add a little something else that appeals to *you*
> with chicken broth.

Will do. Actually, as soon as I finish this, I'm going downstairs to try
some.

> I was going to suggest 'kangkoon/kangkong' (hollow stemed spinach) with
> just the leaf bits bit reading this note, might not be a good idea.

LOL!! I read that quickly and saw Kangeroo........
Mmmmmmmmmmm, Kangerooo, Mmmmmmmmm ;-)

I'm going to give it a couple/few days and try some silken tofu.

I've had some yoghurt in the last day or so, without toooooo many dramas, so
the silken tofu should be fine in a bit.

> Here's one from a long ago post:
>
> ---------
> Jason, you need a liquid 'smoothie' but not fruit.
> 1 cup chicken broth
> 1/4 cup plain yogurt
> 2 TS light miso
> 1 TS raw cod
> 1 green bean
>
> Blender that all up then heat in the microwave. That should work post
> surgery
>
> ------

TS=tablespoon??

Either way, it's another menu addition. Thanks.

That'd be a ****er :-(

> As memory is all I have of the conversation, I hope I
> accurately represent this. It was 1997 and he wasnt able to go out much
> to 'shop' so the list was mostly based on what he had and he was able to
> handle a little soft solids. Doc had him on 'blender food' with a high
> calcium need and he was dead tired of fruits and yogurt.

I'm slowly transitioning to 'mooshy food', starting with creamy soups.

> He wanted
> something that 'felt' like MEAT at least in flavor and needed the yogurt
> apparently.

Probably for the acidopholus(?) bug.

> He also required very 'bland' and this recipe made 3
> servings for him, spaced over at 3 hour intervals (if I recall that
> right).

Yep, about 1/2 cup at a time....... I know that drill :-(

Oh well........ another month and it'll be all over and done with!!

Sorta kinda.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "PL" > wrote
>
>> A lot of the recipes call for dashi....... can I substitute a splash of
>> fish
>> sauce for that?

> Yes and no. the term 'fish sauce' is too generic in asia. Half mean
> 'made of fish' and half mean 'use on fish'.

My stuff is made of fish. To the point the SO ( a fish lover, if the fish
tastes like chicken!!) can tell if I even add just a teaspoon full in a
curry.

> Chicken stock when it comes to just adding Miso and not getting fancy,
> works just spiffy. 'Westernized' but even the Japanese do that and have
> for ages.
>
> Dashi is a mix of dried fish and seaweed. You will not get the
> identical flavor from any 'patis' (sauce made from fish to me but not
> all 'patis' are that either!) but that doesnt mean to me you shouldnt
> experiment to see if *you* like it.
>
> I see nothing wrong with adding a little oyster sauce to the chicken
> stock if you wish.

Okie doke..... I'll try the Miso and stock 'nude' first off, then see if
it needs anything.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" > wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>>> Nope. Not even tofu.

>> Not in the kitchen eh?

> We're actually quite fond of tofu...... I've used it a lot in stir-frys
> etc.

I'd wait a day or so on a stable setting then try adding a little mushed
soft or blendered.

>> You have chicken stock. Add a little miso to that. You need to keep a
>> low-load on the tummy for now. Miso has a higher than you would expect,
>> protien content.

> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, steak and eggs in every bowl!!

LOL! not quite but not bad stuff.

>> It may be one of the few ways you can accept a bit of
>> it just now. 2 weeks of no protien intake, and your body starts
>> dismantling your muscles a bit.

> Yeah, I've been trying to keep up the protien level with shakes etc (which
> *hate*), so this might be a great substitute.

It's really needed if you are muscular.

> Another week or so and I can hopefully start lifting weights again.......

Not before you can eat. Keep it *small* and I mean that. Reduce to 20 lbs.

> I've lost a bit of 'beef' at the moment, and don't want to drop down too
> much, otherwise I'll start looking like an Auschwitz survivor.
>
> For my height/build, my "ideal" weight (according to all the "experts") is
> between 167-189lbs (75.7 - 85.7kgs)!!
>
> LOL!! I got down to 95kgs (209.5lbs) back in the mid 90's, and all my
> friends
> thought I was dying from cancer!!! I was emaciated!!
>
> So I'm going to try and maintain at 100kgs (220.4lbs), which was my
> 'fighting
> weight' in the Army.

Thats good. Not all are built the same. I have a rescue pooch who overall
looks lkke a beagle. Suspected mix is beagle and bull mastiff (probably
something between). Yup, I have an underweight 53 lb beagle.

>>> Soy sauce... I have premium, low salt, and Kecap Manis. I also have
>>> seveal bottles of oyster sauce.
>>>
>>> I've never had Miso before, so it's going to be a first for me.

>> I'd advise just trying some in that chicken stock you have as is. If
>> you want then, you can add a little something else that appeals to *you*
>> with chicken broth.

> Will do. Actually, as soon as I finish this, I'm going downstairs to try
> some.

Like it? Note sure if the white added enough flavor

>> ---------
>> Jason, you need a liquid 'smoothie' but not fruit.
>> 1 cup chicken broth
>> 1/4 cup plain yogurt
>> 2 TS light miso
>> 1 TS raw cod
>> 1 green bean
>>
>> Blender that all up then heat in the microwave. That should work post
>> surgery
>>
>> ------

> TS=tablespoon??

Teaspoon. TB is tablespoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" wrote

Hey Peter, I'll use this as a jumping spot.

An eating series, taking into account your needs now which is for frequent
*very small* meals of 2-3 TB each with not too much fiber that you can't yet
handle but scaling upwards. If you feel up to posting a list of what you
have handy now, that will help.

Reading notes:

1- Dashi is listed in most of them. I use a boxed version called
'Hon-Dashi', widely exported. It's in granules and you use about 1 TS per
3/4 cup or if like me, more as I like it stronger. I buy it in 1,000
serving boxes for 15$. It's also sold in smaller packs which you can just
dump into a spice shaker and use that way. Sometimes the smaller packages
have filler so it takes more to make a serving. I think the version with no
filler is better for you. I can tell you how to make it fresh as well if
you feel like just playing in the kitchen, but it will probably cost more
than the box!

2- In all cases where dashi is listed, you can make a perfectly acceptable
version of these dishes with chicken stock.

3- Both boxed and fresh dashi are actually apt to be lower sodium by far
than your average chicken stock unless it's being home made and salt free.

4- These dishes are based on the idea that you will cook once and then just
nibble a bit per meal (even the steak one).

5- Dry sherry in all of these will substitute well for mirin or sake. While
that doesn't always work, it will in these though the dish changes in
flavor. The change this time is workable.

6- Recipes were scanned for 'most nutrition per tablespoon' and highest
reasonable protein possible with care for easy on the digestion. Some are
not suitable yet for your needs (sorry my friend, the steak isn't yet!)

Ok, next post will shift subject line to " PING: Cshenk.... Miso paste,
recipes- starting" then segue to middle and last of this series.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Cshenk.... Miso paste, recipes- medium

Ok, the medium list. This is when ready for some level of solids but care
is still required.

You'd find this a fast easy fridge noshe. Either of the earlier posted
ginger recipes can be used here. Silken tofu will be fine and as you
progress, you will find firm works too. Consider a blender with the silken
tofu and the benihana ginger sauce adding the scallion (hey, a garlic clove
works too!), soy and sake. You make a paste and chill it. This can be
added to soups or eaten in little cubes. Critical element: tofu and
adapable transition to solids.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Cold Tofu Appetizer
Categories: Japanese, Appetizers, Tofu
Yield: 1 Servings

1 pk Tofu; cubed
1 ts Grated ginger
1 Scallions; finely chopped
1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Sake (rice wine

Divide the tofu into four cups. Mix together the sauce ingredients and
sprinkle them on top. Flavor with chili pepper flakes if desired. You can
also sprinkle the tofu with dried bonita flakes. busted by sooz Posted to
recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 227 by James and Susan Kirkland
> on Nov 08, 1997

-----

Grin, yes the name is wrong. I typed this to Greg Mayman in our 'winter'
and he translated the name. Too many copies out there to correct it now!
In this case, you need to reduce the sugar to 3 TB which will not hurt the
recipe. You cut the squash to cute leaves or whatever with a cookie cutter.
You can then munch on just a few (fine cold from the fridge stored in the
broth). Critical element: fun, taste, tooth appeal, diet variation

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Simmered Summer Squash
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

1 lb Winter squash- Butternut
3 c Dashi or chicken stock
7 tb Sugar
1/4 c Lite soy sauce (Shoyu)

From my book on cooking in Japan, a winter winner! The picture shows a
lovely cut of the squash to look like a leaf in autumnal colors.

You cut the squash into shapes, removing all peel so they do not lose
their
shape. Put the Dashi (or chicken stock if you prefer that over dashi),
and
sugar in a pan and set to boil. Add the cut squash and reduce to a simmer
for about 7 minutes. Turn the squash pieces over, then add the shoyu and
continue cooking til all is tender.

Serve warm with some of the broth. Reserve the rest of the broth for
another meal.

From the Japan kitchen of: xxcarol, 26DEC2003

-----

This next one has to be freehand. I didn't bother to document it in MM.
Critical element: texture, vitamins, adaptable

Carrot 'cream' soup

1 lb or so of fresh carrots- may use canned organic
enough stock to cover in a crockpot (replace as needed if stove top cooking)

Cook until very soft. Toss in blender

Result should be a thick 'cream' soup. Milk is apt to be an issue for you
but if you find butter works, you serve this with butter. Keeps well for 24
hours straight in a crockpot on 'warm'. Same method works really nicely
with curry powder blend additions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:33:13 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good one. I cook
> Japanese food too including Miso soup and a number of things that might
> be called Japanese home cooking, like Niku-Jago stew, various noodles
> and some transplanted Japanese things like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and
> sunomono, bean sprout pickles etc. Most of these involve things that
> will have to be chewed. Miso soup with chopped tofu might work for you
> and, even with vegetable or chicken stock as the basis could be good. In
> default of hon-dashi you could add any old soy sauce and a little oyster
> sauce, something that's often available in the oriental section of a
> regular supermarket.

i'd like to hear your favorite sunomono recipe, james.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Cshenk.... Miso paste, recipes- last

Ok, by here you get mixed things but can eat small amounts of more sturdy
items.

Fish is often an easier item. This one can be flaked and turned to small
nibbles by the spoon for the leftovers. Consider plain yogurt for the
leftovers with a little curry powder or even hot soybean fermented pastes to
make a sort of 'cold fish salad'. Critical element: high protien

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Broiled Salmon (Sake No Miso Yaki)
Categories: Japanese, Salmon
Yield: 1 Servings

4 Salmon steaks
1/4 c White soybean paste
-(shiromiso)
1/2 ts Sugar
1/2 tb Soy sauce
2 Chopped green onions

Broil salmon on each side until done, about six minutes per side (salmon
will be underdone at this point). Combine and mix miso, sugar and soy
sauce. Spread on one side of each steak. Return to broiler until lightly
browned. Turn over, spread sauce on flipside, broiled again. Garnish with
chopped onions. Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 234 by James
and
Susan Kirkland > on Nov 09, 1997

-----

Might want to stick with carrots here if bloat issues with the other types.
This is a way to get full texture and it stores very nicely in the fridge
for munchies. Critical element: easy to make with mouthfeel texture

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: CARROTS IN VINEGAR
Categories: Japan, Condiments
Yield: 6 Servings

1/2 lb Carrots thinly sliced (or
-broccoli or cauliflower)
1/2 c Vinegar

Place carrots in a small saucepan with the vinegar. Bring vinegar to a
boil; cover pan and reduce heat. Cook at a simmer for about 8-10 min or
until carrots are tender and liquid is absorbed. Serve at room temperature
or chilled. Serve with a dressing such as mayonnaise or garnish with
salted black sesame seeds.

-----

Now, you can add crunch! Esential element: crunchy to the tooth, vitamins

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: NAMASU (DAIKON & CARROT IN VINEGAR DRESSING
Categories: Japan, Salads, Vegetables
Yield: 6 Servings

1/2 lb Daikon, peeled & Shredded
2 1/2 ts Salt
2 1/2 ts Rice Vinegar
1 pn MSG
1 ea Small Carrot, shredded
1/4 oz Katsuobushi
1 1/2 ts Sugar

Put the Daikon, carrot, 3/8 pt water and salt into a mixing bowl, Stir
thoroughly and set aside for 30 minutes.
Put half of the Katsuobushi into a small pan, cook uncovered over low
heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer the Katsuobushi to a
mortar and grind into a fine powder. Shake the powder onto a piece of
greaseproof paper through a sieve and set aside.
Drain the daikon and carrot, squeeze them dry and place in a mixing
bowl. Add vinegar, sugar, and MSG. Mix thoroughly and add katsuobushi.
Serve at room temperature in small bowls

-----

This one is simple and fast and uses frozen (defrosted) mussels, oysters, or
clam meats. Very easy to scale the amount since they are small but has to
be fixed fresh each time (the magic leaks out when cold). Goes really nice
with slivers of that pickeled ginger from earlier. Critical element: high
protien, chewy

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's oysters in 5 mins
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan
Yield: 4 Servings

1/2 lb Oyster meats
1/8 c Datu Puti brand soy sauce
1 tb Suukim maasim spiced vinigar
3 tb Olive oil

Wanna fast treat suitable for the gods? This is it. Heat the olive oil
and dump in the mussel meats. While heating, mix the soy and vinigar
being
sure to shake the vinigar up so you get some of the sediment in there.

Cook til the mussels are hot all though but before any visible cooking
signs (browning) are seen and place on place with the sauce at the side.
Set a set of chopsticks per diner and enjoy!

This from a recipe from a lady at Tonoo market, local favorite food though
she uses sesame oil and said as an optional addition, she'd add a little
miso (pinky nail sized bit of paste).

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 10JUL2006

-----

This one can be slivered nicely to acceptable portions. Meant to be served
cold or room temp, gives you a variation of diet. Sliver it and enjoy bits
of this with a soup. Critical element: obvious as duck is divine!

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Kamo Sakamushi (Sake Steamed Duck)
Categories: Japan, Appetizers, Duck
Yield: 24 Servings

2 Whole Duck or Chicken Breast
2 1/2 ts Sake

IN ADVANCE: Place Boned Duck or Chicken breast skin side up on a
flameproof
dish and sprinkle with 1 scant t of salt. Cover, refrigerate, and let sit
for 3 hours. TO COOK: Preheat the grill to it's highest point. Meanwhile,
pour Sake over the Chicken or Duck and steam for 7 minutes. Remove the
from
steamer, and grill 3" from heat for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature,
cut breasts into 1/4" slices and serve.

From: Ron Curtis Date: 03-05-96

-----

Told ya I'd get to the steak! This time, you can use red wine for most of
the sake/mirin but need some higher alcohol based type for that cut of meat
for some of it to tenderize correct. The important item here is the steak
can be cooked once, then slivered, and used in small bits for days. Takes
very well to a sliver of the pickled ginger or the ginger 'benehana sauce'.
I actually had something very like this in Brisbane made of roo. Critical
elements: BEEF!, mouthful of meat, texture, protien.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: TATAKI
Categories: Japan, Beef, Appetizers
Yield: 6 Servings

3 New York strip steaks
3/4 c Soy sauce
3/4 c Sake
1/2 c Mirin
2 c Dashi

Mix together soy sauce, sake, mirin and dashi. (Sake and Mirin wines can
be bought in most liquor stores. Dashi, a base for Japanese soup stock,is
available in most Oriental stores.) Bring to boil.Add steak and return to
boil.Cook 3 to 5 minutes.Be careful not to overcook the meat;it should be
rare on the inside. Remove steak,wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight.
Continue boiling,cooking until liquid has reduced to a thick sauce. You
can
tell when it is done,because the sauce makes large, slow bubbles when it
is
ready.Be careful; otherwise the sauce will burn. Refrigerate overnight. To
serve: Cut all fat from steaks. Slice in very thin slices. Arrange on a
plate. Just before serving; pour 1 tsp. of reduced cooking sauce over
meat.
You can also garnish with a little chopped green onion. For an appetizer
serving, allow 5 to 7 slices per person. Serves 6.

-----

Ok, thats all for just now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:14:16 -0400:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:33:13 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good
>> one. I cook Japanese food too including Miso soup and a
>> number of things that might be called Japanese home cooking,
>> like Niku-Jago stew, various noodles and some transplanted
>> Japanese things like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and sunomono,

> i'd like to hear your favorite sunomono recipe, james.

Here's one I like but I have others that are completely vegetarian. I'll
add my general notes tho' you're doubtless familiar with that.

A favorite way to begin a Japanese meal is with a light vinegared salad
made with cucumbers and other fresh vegetables, sometimes mixed with
diced seafood such as crab, octopus, or shrimp and sprinkled with sesame
seeds. A simple marinade of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and a few drops
of sesame oil makes an excellent dressing.

Sunomono (4 to 8 servings)

The word sunomono means 'vinegared things' and can be prepared with
almost any combination of ingredients, from fresh raw vegetables and
greens to finely diced seafoods. Here's a tasty and easy to prepare
sunomono recipe:

1 Large cucumber

1 cup precooked bay shrimp

Wash a large cucumber and trim off the ends. Slice the cucumber in half
lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the cucumber
halves into paper-thin slices and place in a bowl. Add one cup of tiny
pre-cooked bay shrimp and marinate for 2 hours (stirring occasionally)
in Rice Wine Vinegar Dressing:

1 cup Rice Wine Vinegar

½ cup mirin or sake

2 Tsp sesame oil

Thoroughly mix and serve the sunomono in small individual dishes with a
slotted spoon to drain off excess marinade. Garnish with a pinch of
pickled ginger and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote
> blake wrote on Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:14:16 -0400:

> Here's one I like but I have others that are completely vegetarian. I'll
> add my general notes tho' you're doubtless familiar with that.
>
> A favorite way to begin a Japanese meal is with a light vinegared salad
> made with cucumbers and other fresh vegetables, sometimes mixed with diced
> seafood such as crab, octopus, or shrimp and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
> A simple marinade of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and a few drops of
> sesame oil makes an excellent dressing.

> Sunomono (4 to 8 servings)

> The word sunomono means 'vinegared things' and can be prepared with almost
> any combination of ingredients, from fresh raw vegetables and greens to
> finely diced seafoods. Here's a tasty and easy to prepare sunomono recipe:

> 1 Large cucumber
> 1 cup precooked bay shrimp

> Wash a large cucumber and trim off the ends. Slice the cucumber in half
> lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the cucumber
> halves into paper-thin slices and place in a bowl. Add one cup of tiny
> pre-cooked bay shrimp and marinate for 2 hours (stirring occasionally) in
> Rice Wine Vinegar Dressing:

> 1 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
> ½ cup mirin or sake
> 2 Tsp sesame oil

> Thoroughly mix and serve the sunomono in small individual dishes with a
> slotted spoon to drain off excess marinade. Garnish with a pinch of
> pickled ginger and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Have you tried the daikon versions with carrots? I like those too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

Thanks for all the recipes 'C'. I've printed them off for closer perusal, and
to make up a shopping list next time I get to the shops. Looks like I'm going
to have to stock up on Sake though ;-)

But...... for the moment, I'm about to go and make some chicken stock of my
own, and dig out the sherry bottle from the pantry for some Japanese Clear
Soup :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Paratroopers dont die. We just go to Hell and regroup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" > wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

> Thanks for all the recipes 'C'. I've printed them off for closer perusal,
> and
> to make up a shopping list next time I get to the shops. Looks like I'm
> going
> to have to stock up on Sake though ;-)

Heheh, or sherry if that suits your regular cooking more often. While you
can't always swap them like some say, in those recipes it will work.

> But...... for the moment, I'm about to go and make some chicken stock of
> my
> own, and dig out the sherry bottle from the pantry for some Japanese Clear
> Soup :-)

There ya go! Perfect starter.

If you start having issues with nausea, that one takes very well to a
crushed bit of ginger (you can put it in a small metal teaball so it's easy
to lift out).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:07:13 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:14:16 -0400:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:33:13 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm glad for your choice in gurus, which is probably a good
>>> one. I cook Japanese food too including Miso soup and a
>>> number of things that might be called Japanese home cooking,
>>> like Niku-Jago stew, various noodles and some transplanted
>>> Japanese things like Hawaiian Saimin, salads and sunomono,

>> i'd like to hear your favorite sunomono recipe, james.

> Here's one I like but I have others that are completely vegetarian. I'll
> add my general notes tho' you're doubtless familiar with that.
>
> A favorite way to begin a Japanese meal is with a light vinegared salad
> made with cucumbers and other fresh vegetables, sometimes mixed with
> diced seafood such as crab, octopus, or shrimp and sprinkled with sesame
> seeds. A simple marinade of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and a few drops
> of sesame oil makes an excellent dressing.
>
> Sunomono (4 to 8 servings)
>
> The word sunomono means 'vinegared things' and can be prepared with
> almost any combination of ingredients, from fresh raw vegetables and
> greens to finely diced seafoods. Here's a tasty and easy to prepare
> sunomono recipe:
>
> 1 Large cucumber
>
> 1 cup precooked bay shrimp
>
> Wash a large cucumber and trim off the ends. Slice the cucumber in half
> lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the cucumber
> halves into paper-thin slices and place in a bowl. Add one cup of tiny
> pre-cooked bay shrimp and marinate for 2 hours (stirring occasionally)
> in Rice Wine Vinegar Dressing:
>
> 1 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
>
> ½ cup mirin or sake
>
> 2 Tsp sesame oil
>
> Thoroughly mix and serve the sunomono in small individual dishes with a
> slotted spoon to drain off excess marinade. Garnish with a pinch of
> pickled ginger and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

i might try this without the shrimp. i don't think i've seen a sunomomo
recipe with mirin in it before.

your pal,
blake