Refurbishing a Weber Grill

Old 20-03-2010, 03:00 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Refurbishing a Weber Grill

Hi all;

I've had a Weber Grill since the Cretaceous Period (post-dinasaurs).
I've replaced the ... the ... the ...ugh? "flavorizor bars" and the
grills a couple times. Now I need to replace the fire pipes, the drip
basket, and the push-button fire start, &tc.. I'm good with it, the
replacement parts and shipping are ~$85 cf. $$$$$ for a new grill.

'k, the firebox and &tc. are covered with bbq crud, and I'd like to
make it go away. I've been scraping, but it's a tough go.

Any suggstions? Oven cleaner? Ammonia? Sand-blasting? Hiriong
those guys from Home Depot from the post in home repair?

Suggestions appreciated.

-Zz
Old 20-03-2010, 04:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Zz Yzx wrote:

Hi all;

I've had a Weber Grill since the Cretaceous Period (post-dinasaurs).
I've replaced the ... the ... the ...ugh? "flavorizor bars" and the
grills a couple times. Now I need to replace the fire pipes, the drip
basket, and the push-button fire start, &tc.. I'm good with it, the
replacement parts and shipping are ~$85 cf. $$$$$ for a new grill.

'k, the firebox and &tc. are covered with bbq crud, and I'd like to
make it go away. I've been scraping, but it's a tough go.

Any suggstions? Oven cleaner? Ammonia? Sand-blasting? Hiriong
those guys from Home Depot from the post in home repair?

Suggestions appreciated.

-Zz

Oven cleaner, combined with sunlight.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 20-03-2010, 09:59 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I've had a Weber Grill since the Cretaceous Period (post-dinasaurs).
I've replaced the ... the ... the ...ugh? "flavorizor bars" and the
grills a couple times. Now I need to replace the fire pipes, the drip
basket, and the push-button fire start, &tc.. I'm good with it, the
replacement parts and shipping are ~$85 cf. $$$$$ for a new grill.

'k, the firebox and &tc. are covered with bbq crud, and I'd like to
make it go away. I've been scraping, but it's a tough go.

Any suggstions? Oven cleaner? Ammonia? Sand-blasting? Hiriong
those guys from Home Depot from the post in home repair?

Suggestions appreciated.

-Zz

If you haven't done so, I'd suggesting asking this same question on the
Virtual Weber Bullet: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ Register first,
then go to the Forums. You'll find good advice there. I like that site,
specifically directed at Weber Products, but not directly associated with
Weber-Stephens. I have a Performer, a Genesis, and a WSM. One reason to
consider repairing is that Weber has excellent customer service. Old models
continue to have parts available. Make certain you get porceleinized cast
iron grates[available at Home Depot].

Kent

Old 20-03-2010, 12:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" wrote in message

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]

You also brine your turkey in the garage in a 5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?

TFM®

Old 21-03-2010, 01:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" wrote in message
. com...

"Kent" wrote in message

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration. In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.
http://smokehouseproducts.com/ Click on the recipe book and read.

Old 21-03-2010, 01:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration. In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 21-03-2010, 02:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration. In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage in a

Old 21-03-2010, 03:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration. In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage in a
5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?"

Well, I was told that YOU were a troll when I first joined this group...

and by several members.

Who am I supposed to listen to when you just insulted me for no good
reason?

Sorry, but brining a turkey in your garage (unless your garage is at 30
to 40 degrees) is just ignorant.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Old 21-03-2010, 02:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration.
In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage in
a 5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?"

Nobody (well, nobody with any brainpower) takes anything that you say
seriously.

Old 21-03-2010, 08:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration.
In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage in
a 5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?"

They were your words, not mine.

TFM®

Old 21-03-2010, 10:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

[...]

I do not believe I insulted you. The comment I made to TFM has nothing to do
with you, and wasn't in any way directed at you.
I was calling him a Troll. He made the following comment that I would call
trolling. From TFM: "You also brine your turkey in the garage in a 5 gallon
bucket at ambient temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take
anything you say seriously?"

TFM's deragatory comment stems from a statement I made in 2003 about brining
a turkey for Thanksgiving. From me: "You brine at garage temperature as
long as you are above 35 degrees latitude, and in the winter, where the
garage temp. is about 40 degrees F."

This statement was based on what is in the Luhr Jensen recipe book for their
smokers. http://smokehouseproducts.com/

Again, Om, I would like to stress that nothing I wrote was directed at you.
I do not regard myself as a troller. It is difficult to not respond with
something to the kind of dialogue written by TFM, and the few others who do
this routinely.

Hope this helps,

Kent

Old 21-03-2010, 10:15 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" wrote in message
. com...

"Kent" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration.
In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage
in a 5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?"

They were your words, not mine.

TFM®

As above it's not what I said. It's your paraphrasing my rhetoric. . The
point is that I don't think my language warrants your second line. That's an
obvious troll.

Kent

Old 21-03-2010, 10:18 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kelvin" wrote in message

"Kent" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

You are a troll of course.
There isn't anything about brining turkey that mandates refrigeration.
In
prior centuries we did not have refrigeration.

TFM is hardly a troll dear.

And now that we have refrigeration, we USE it for "food safety".

And a lot fewer people die of dysentary...

There is no excuse not to brine a turkey under at least a good layer of
ice. Ice is cheap. You are taking unnecessary risks.
--
Peace! Om

Om, this rhetoric is a troll. "You also brine your turkey in the garage
in a 5 gallon bucket at ambient
temperature. Do you honestly expect anyone to ever take anything you say
seriously?"

Nobody (well, nobody with any brainpower) takes anything that you say
seriously.

And, the masturbating Sqwertzian brain blows it out again. You should get
some condoms so you don't mess up those around you, and yourself.

Old 21-03-2010, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

[...]

Ok, I misread it. It looked like you were calling me a troll.
TFM is not tho'.

Do you track your garage temp. tho' if you are going to attempt this
sort of thing? It is risky.

Old 21-03-2010, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

I do not believe I insulted you. The comment I made to TFM has
nothing to do with you, and wasn't in any way directed at you.
I was calling him a Troll.

Kent, you continuously misuse the word troll, which is the term for a
non-member of a ng who anonymously posts a controversial topic with the
purposeful intent to hook the naive onto the trollers baited hook. Trolls
disappear and usually do not respond, as they are content to sit back and
enjoy the fun. THAT is what knowledgeable usenet participants consider to be
a troll. Forget the Webster dictionary definitions, dammit all.

So, please, knock off this 'troll' crap. TFM is a valuable participant and
someone whom I consider to be a personal friend with whom I have spent time.
Alan (TFM), along with his beautiful bride (God Bless you and may you have a
peaceful rest), in front of a bunch of afb participants who came from all
over the US and Canada, were married in a wonderful, albeit, unconventional
ceremony at the grand opening of my bbq joint.

All of the participants here, especially me at times, have quirks and
personalities. That's what makes this a fun place to be. There are feuds,
there are loyalties, there are favorites, there are those with whom we
begrudgingly interact with.

You, Kent, created a lot of animosity, frustration, and made some enemies
due to your quirks and behavior. Over the last few months, it seemed you
have wanted to make a go of fitting in. I applaud that. But make no mistake,
it would be my bet that you will come out on the sliver-end of the stick if
you expect this group to advocate your side over that of Alan (TFM) or Steve
(Sqwerts). For better, or worse, there is always a long-term collective
memory of the positives and negatives among long-time members of any NG of
its participants. Feuds and negative interactions are sometimes slow to
overcome.

You want to fight with Steve or Alan? Fine, go ahead and make their day. It
will hurt you far more then it will hurt them as far as this NG is
concerned. Yeah, it is tough to take the taunts but you have a choice to
make: nut-up and deal with it, or keep up this sissy slap-fighting and hurt
your long-term cause. It is your choice. If it helps, then kill-file TFM and
Steve W so you don't see their posts; what you can't see, in this case,
won't hurt you. Hell, my daddy was military and I changed schools every two
to three years. With a last name like 'Bugg', I grew up with taunts. I made
friends by smiling, letting it go, or sometimes joining in with
self-depricating good humor. I even developed a logo which I could quickly
draw, and which my friends and students fellow students demanded I use when
signing each others yearbooks (do they still have yearbooks?).

I am ambivalent about what you decide to do, and I can imagine the arguments
that would be normal for you to formulate in response to this post. But
please believe me when I say that I don't care. I am spending far more time
giving you this advice than I really want to, because I think you might be
willing to accept it without arguing the issue.

Do with it what you will.

--
Dave