Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default No Flavor with Weber Gas Grill

My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!
Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"mbbbh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
> disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
> way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
> grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
> Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!
> Thanks!

Wood chips in a pan on the flavorizer bars may help.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "mbbbh" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
>> disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
>> way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
>> grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
>> Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!
>> Thanks!

> Wood chips in a pan on the flavorizer bars may help.

Do not, I repeat, not put briquettes or lava rocks in it.

Ed's suggestion is right on but what was he cooking? Steak,
chicken, fish?

Weber also sells a wood chip box accessory.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

mbbbh wrote:

> My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
> disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
> way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
> grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
> Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!

The "char broiled" thing could mean different things
depending on who's using the term. As far as I can tell
you could be referring to a few different possible
problems:

- Can't get a good sear

Preheat the grill properly. Fire up all the burners,
close the lid, and wait 15-20 minutes.

Get heavier grates.

Wait for meat to come to room temp before cooking.

- No smoke flavor

See note from Ed. You can also use fist sized
chunks of wood wrapped in foil.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Aug-2006, Reg > wrote:

> mbbbh wrote:
>
> > My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
> > disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
> > way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
> > grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
> > Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!

> The "char broiled" thing could mean different things
> depending on who's using the term. As far as I can tell
> you could be referring to a few different possible
> problems:
>
> - Can't get a good sear
>
> Preheat the grill properly. Fire up all the burners,
> close the lid, and wait 15-20 minutes.
>
> Get heavier grates.
>
> Wait for meat to come to room temp before cooking.
>
> - No smoke flavor
>
> See note from Ed. You can also use fist sized
> chunks of wood wrapped in foil.
>
> --
> Reg

I don't cook on gas, but I've found that my biggest complaint is not
having/using enough heat. A great steak will be slightly carmellized
on the surface and rare to medium rare in the middle. That mildly
carmellized surface is where the taste really resides. And that red/
pink center is where the texture comes from. I did a boneless ribeye
today over Royal Oak briquettes without smoke augmentation. It
was superb despite going overtime on the first side. The deciding
factor is having enough heat to get the job done. I've never heard
before about a Weber grill not getting hot enough. Grilled meat
doesn't need smoke to taste great. Just lots of heat and TLC
while cooking. Hellfire. How much smoke you gonna get in
eight minutes anyway? (Maybe I missed something here.)

--
Brick(Kinda new to grilling)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

mbbbh wrote:
> My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
> disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
> way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
> grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
> Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!
> Thanks!

Still have the receipt? ; )

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

The Secret American Government: http://tinyurl.com/rbwbz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Piedmont wrote:

> Still have the receipt? ; )

Thank you, all who answered.
He doesn't get the concept of searing yet. And perhaps wood chips would
help. I suggested both, but what do moms know? Maybe your responses
will guide him to tasty grilling. :-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
.. .

> On 19-Aug-2006, Reg > wrote:
>
>> mbbbh wrote:
>>
>> > My son got an expensive new grill for his birthday. He was a bit
>> > disappointed that the food didn't have a char broiled taste. Is there a
>> > way to get that flavor without putting briquettes or lava rocks in the
>> > grill? Directions say NOT to do that.
>> > Sorry if the question seems idiotic!!

>> The "char broiled" thing could mean different things
>> depending on who's using the term. As far as I can tell
>> you could be referring to a few different possible
>> problems:
>>
>> - Can't get a good sear
>>
>> Preheat the grill properly. Fire up all the burners,
>> close the lid, and wait 15-20 minutes.
>>
>> Get heavier grates.
>>
>> Wait for meat to come to room temp before cooking.
>>
>> - No smoke flavor
>>
>> See note from Ed. You can also use fist sized
>> chunks of wood wrapped in foil.
>>
>> --
>> Reg

> I don't cook on gas, but I've found that my biggest complaint is not
> having/using enough heat. A great steak will be slightly carmellized
> on the surface and rare to medium rare in the middle. That mildly
> carmellized surface is where the taste really resides. And that red/
> pink center is where the texture comes from. I did a boneless ribeye
> today over Royal Oak briquettes without smoke augmentation. It
> was superb despite going overtime on the first side. The deciding
> factor is having enough heat to get the job done. I've never heard
> before about a Weber grill not getting hot enough. Grilled meat
> doesn't need smoke to taste great. Just lots of heat and TLC
> while cooking. Hellfire. How much smoke you gonna get in
> eight minutes anyway? (Maybe I missed something here.)
>
> --
> Brick(Kinda new to grilling)

My Weber Genesis B[how did they come up with something that stupid!] won't
get hot enough to sear. Porcelainized cast iron grates improve this a bit,
but not remotely enough to sear a steak. The iron grate with the flat side
up is better than charcoal for grilling flaky fish.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> My Weber Genesis B[how did they come up with something that stupid!] won't
> get hot enough to sear. Porcelainized cast iron grates improve this a bit,
> but not remotely enough to sear a steak. The iron grate with the flat side
> up is better than charcoal for grilling flaky fish.

I suggest that the airflow is not adjusted properly. Mine
gets very hot.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>>
>> My Weber Genesis B[how did they come up with something that stupid!]
>> won't get hot enough to sear. Porcelainized cast iron grates improve
>> this a bit, but not remotely enough to sear a steak. The iron grate
>> with the flat side up is better than charcoal for grilling flaky fish.
>>

> I suggest that the airflow is not adjusted properly. Mine gets very hot.

Same thing here. My Gen B will get HOT. Like 700 plus when I burn it
clean...
However I do have a suggestion about it if it will not get hot. Prior
to mine getting bolted down and hooked to the main tank, I had a problem
with it not heating up twice.
The first time was due to the end tip of the regulator. Look at the
orifice on the regulator. On mine the original regulator had one small
hole for the gas. The problem was that the tank had a plunger that would
almost block that hole off if it was installed just right. Took it to my
local propane guru and he looked at it and just filed a small slot
across the tip so the gas could flow.
The second time was still on a small tank and that time the tank had
been put on it's side. This was enough to make the OPD device block the
flow of gas when the valve was opened up. I have also heard that it is
possible to trip the OPD if you open the valve quick, and I know it is
possible to get it to trip if you start using a lot of gas quick, found
that out on my propane forge.

Now that it's on the big tank I only have a problem if it rains hard.
Boiling the water off the cover in a downpour takes a bit of heat. This
will SOON be rectified with a roof extension over the grill area.

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Kent wrote:
>>>
>>> My Weber Genesis B[how did they come up with something that stupid!]
>>> won't get hot enough to sear. Porcelainized cast iron grates improve
>>> this a bit, but not remotely enough to sear a steak. The iron grate with
>>> the flat side up is better than charcoal for grilling flaky fish.
>>>

>> I suggest that the airflow is not adjusted properly. Mine gets very hot.
>>

> Same thing here. My Gen B will get HOT. Like 700 plus when I burn it
> clean...
> However I do have a suggestion about it if it will not get hot. Prior to
> mine getting bolted down and hooked to the main tank, I had a problem with
> it not heating up twice.
> The first time was due to the end tip of the regulator. Look at the
> orifice on the regulator. On mine the original regulator had one small
> hole for the gas. The problem was that the tank had a plunger that would
> almost block that hole off if it was installed just right. Took it to my
> local propane guru and he looked at it and just filed a small slot across
> the tip so the gas could flow.
> The second time was still on a small tank and that time the tank had been
> put on it's side. This was enough to make the OPD device block the flow of
> gas when the valve was opened up. I have also heard that it is possible to
> trip the OPD if you open the valve quick, and I know it is possible to get
> it to trip if you start using a lot of gas quick, found that out on my
> propane forge.
>
> Now that it's on the big tank I only have a problem if it rains hard.
> Boiling the water off the cover in a downpour takes a bit of heat. This
> will SOON be rectified with a roof extension over the grill area.
>
> --
> Steve W.

I think there is a difference amongst all of us of what constitutes charring
the surface. For me the Weber Genesis B will not sear a steak with the
grill cover up. There just isn't the heat. I personally don't think 700F at
the grate is enough to sear properly. Mine heats up just fine with the
cover closed for indirect grilling, etc., but the minute the cover is lifted
all changes. It's interesting that the Weber doesn't provide for partial
covering, like the performer does.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in message
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>>>
>>> I suggest that the airflow is not adjusted properly. Mine gets very hot.
>>>

>> Same thing here. My Gen B will get HOT. Like 700 plus when I burn it
>> clean...
>> However I do have a suggestion about it if it will not get hot. Prior to
>> mine getting bolted down and hooked to the main tank, I had a problem with
>> it not heating up twice.
>> The first time was due to the end tip of the regulator. Look at the
>> orifice on the regulator. On mine the original regulator had one small
>> hole for the gas. The problem was that the tank had a plunger that would
>> almost block that hole off if it was installed just right. Took it to my
>> local propane guru and he looked at it and just filed a small slot across
>> the tip so the gas could flow.
>> The second time was still on a small tank and that time the tank had been
>> put on it's side. This was enough to make the OPD device block the flow of
>> gas when the valve was opened up. I have also heard that it is possible to
>> trip the OPD if you open the valve quick, and I know it is possible to get
>> it to trip if you start using a lot of gas quick, found that out on my
>> propane forge.
>>
>> Now that it's on the big tank I only have a problem if it rains hard.
>> Boiling the water off the cover in a downpour takes a bit of heat. This
>> will SOON be rectified with a roof extension over the grill area.
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.
>>

> I think there is a difference amongst all of us of what constitutes charring
> the surface. For me the Weber Genesis B will not sear a steak with the
> grill cover up. There just isn't the heat. I personally don't think 700F at
> the grate is enough to sear properly. Mine heats up just fine with the
> cover closed for indirect grilling, etc., but the minute the cover is lifted
> all changes. It's interesting that the Weber doesn't provide for partial
> covering, like the performer does.
>
> Kent

There is your problem. You don't leave the hood open to sear on a Weber.
Not needed and your just heating the air. Oh and FYI my Weber will turn
a steak into charcoal in less than 5 minutes if I don't watch it. I
think that is hot enough to sear... Pan seared steak in an oven takes
about 500F.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Reg > wrote:
> The "char broiled" thing could mean different things
> depending on who's using the term. As far as I can tell
> you could be referring to a few different possible
> problems:

> - Can't get a good sear

> - No smoke flavor

- No taste of stale burnt grease.
Get another grill; one which uses lava rocks.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow