AG

Default Fringe topic: plans for a wood splitter?

Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of a
wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much of
a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that use
a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
First: what do you folks recommend?

second: anyone got free plans to build something?

I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)

ag

Matthew L. Martin

AG wrote:

> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of a
> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much of
> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that use
> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> First: what do you folks recommend?
>
> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>
> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)

Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
losing ground:-)

Matthew (former foreign car mechanic)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win

Matthew L. Martin

AG wrote:

> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of a
> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much of
> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that use
> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> First: what do you folks recommend?
>
> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>
> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)

Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
losing ground:-)

Matthew (former foreign car mechanic)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Dana Myers

AG wrote:

> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)

A friend of mine bought a Jensen of some sort, nice little two-seater,
but it required restoration. Like a drug habit, he got deeper and deeper.
Later on, when I bought a brand-new MX-5 and then spent even more to
supercharge it, he thought I was nuts to spend so much money... until
we compared notes.

I got the better deal... but I didn't have as much fun working on the
car and I can't honestly say that I had to have several pieces welded
into the floorpan.

;-)

Dana
Dana Myers

AG wrote:

> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)

A friend of mine bought a Jensen of some sort, nice little two-seater,
but it required restoration. Like a drug habit, he got deeper and deeper.
Later on, when I bought a brand-new MX-5 and then spent even more to
supercharge it, he thought I was nuts to spend so much money... until
we compared notes.

I got the better deal... but I didn't have as much fun working on the
car and I can't honestly say that I had to have several pieces welded
into the floorpan.

;-)

Dana

Dana Myers

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> AG wrote:
>
>> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in
>> need of a
>> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too
>> much of
>> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups
>> that use
>> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
>> First: what do you folks recommend?
>>
>> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>>
>> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
>> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
>>

> Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
> losing ground:-)

.... at a prodigous rate...

;-)

Dana
(another two-seater owner)
Dana Myers

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> AG wrote:
>
>> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in
>> need of a
>> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too
>> much of
>> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups
>> that use
>> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
>> First: what do you folks recommend?
>>
>> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>>
>> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
>> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
>>

> Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
> losing ground:-)

.... at a prodigous rate...

;-)

Dana
(another two-seater owner)
AG

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>snip<
>
> Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
> losing ground:-)
>
> Matthew (former foreign car mechanic)
>
> --
> Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game

The car only has a few mechanical problems, the main issue is the interior,
which is shot. My dad gave me the car with a big grin on his face. Now I
know why. The owner before him had worn the seat out and let the sun destroy
the rest. It also has a few body dings but I am not going to worry about
them. The good news is no rust (except a small place in the passenger's seat
well which I have under control)
I hope to replace the interior this fall and have it ready for next summer.
donations accepted

ag

AG

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>snip<
>
> Ah, yes. An MGB. At two dollars a month and the MG off the road, you are
> losing ground:-)
>
> Matthew (former foreign car mechanic)
>
> --
> Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game

The car only has a few mechanical problems, the main issue is the interior,
which is shot. My dad gave me the car with a big grin on his face. Now I
know why. The owner before him had worn the seat out and let the sun destroy
the rest. It also has a few body dings but I am not going to worry about
them. The good news is no rust (except a small place in the passenger's seat
well which I have under control)
I hope to replace the interior this fall and have it ready for next summer.
donations accepted

ag

AG

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
>snip<
> I got the better deal... but I didn't have as much fun working on the
> car and I can't honestly say that I had to have several pieces welded
> into the floorpan.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dana

yeah I enjoy working on it but with two small children I don't have much
time or money (not complaining the kids are great) I just don't want to be
like so many that one day look back and see all the projects they wanted to
do but never completed.

ag

AG

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
>snip<
> I got the better deal... but I didn't have as much fun working on the
> car and I can't honestly say that I had to have several pieces welded
> into the floorpan.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dana

yeah I enjoy working on it but with two small children I don't have much
time or money (not complaining the kids are great) I just don't want to be
like so many that one day look back and see all the projects they wanted to
do but never completed.

ag

just joe

get a vertical splitter so you don't have to lift each round. bent there,
dent that.

joe
petersburg, alaska
sure the weather sucks, what's your point?

Michael

"AG" > wrote in message
> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of

> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much

of
> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that

use
> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> First: what do you folks recommend?
>
> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>
> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
>
> ag

I have built two. If I had to do over I'd just buy one. There's not much
savings in building it. And you need a torch and a welder.

Michael

Michael

"AG" > wrote in message
> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of

> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much

of
> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that

use
> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> First: what do you folks recommend?
>
> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>
> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
>
> ag

I have built two. If I had to do over I'd just buy one. There's not much
savings in building it. And you need a torch and a welder.

Michael

M&M

On 25-Jul-2004, "Michael" > wrote:

> "AG" > wrote in message
> > Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of

> > wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much

> of
> > a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that

> use
> > a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> > First: what do you folks recommend?
> >
> > second: anyone got free plans to build something?
> >
> > I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> > going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
> >
> > ag
> >

> I have built two. If I had to do over I'd just buy one. There's not much
> savings in building it. And you need a torch and a welder.
>
> Michael

Here's a decent looking manual operated unit at Harbor Freight for $149.99.

M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Matthew L. Martin

M&M wrote:
> Here's a decent looking manual operated unit at Harbor Freight for $149.99.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33956

Sh!t! If those valves are center bypass, I can power that with my JD. I
only have 25 HP available in the hydraudlics, so I would guess that it
would manage.

Matthew (it does run a 8 1/2' backhoe, after all)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Matthew L. Martin

M&M wrote:
> Here's a decent looking manual operated unit at Harbor Freight for $149.99.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33956

Sh!t! If those valves are center bypass, I can power that with my JD. I
only have 25 HP available in the hydraudlics, so I would guess that it
would manage.

Matthew (it does run a 8 1/2' backhoe, after all)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

M&M

On 26-Jul-2004, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
> > Here's a decent looking manual operated unit at Harbor Freight for $149.99.
> >
> > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33956

> Sh!t! If those valves are center bypass, I can power that with my JD. I
> only have 25 HP available in the hydraudlics, so I would guess that it
> would manage.
>
> Matthew (it does run a 8 1/2' backhoe, after all)

Say what?

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
K. Reece

"AG" > wrote in message
> Now that I am using all wood to smoke with, I have found myself in need of

> wood splitter. I have tried wedges and mauls but find that I am too much

of
> a wimp to split a whole tree using those tools. I have seen setups that

use
> a gas motor and hydrolics and some that use a car jack as a base.
> First: what do you folks recommend?
>
> second: anyone got free plans to build something?
>
> I would love to buy one but just can't afford one. All my spare change is
> going to restore a '79 MGB. All two dollars a month ;-)
>
> ag

Good luck with the car.

My personal recommendation for a wood splitter is to get someone else to do
it. Teenagers can usually be bribed for a reasonable cost if they're your
own and not too much more for the neighbor's teenager.

Kathy