Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Bad start to strawberry wine

I am finally getting back into beer/winemaking after a several year
break. In the past I have made strawberry wine every summer from locally
picked strawberries. I decided to do so again this year and picked 15
pounds of strawberries to use for three gallons of must. Here is where
things start to fall apart.
As I said, it has been a few years since I made anything, so I am a
little rusty. I mistakenly added 3 tsp of potassium metabisulphate vice 3
tsp of a solution. I realized my mistake pretty quickly as my nose began to
burn and my bright pink must turned a dull pink/gray.
In an attempt to save my wine, I stirred vigorously over the next few
days. I did it 6 times, each time 4-5 minutes. My thought was I could get
some of the sulphites out in gaseous form. I did smell a lot of sulfur, but
don't have any way to test the levels.
While I was stirring, I made a starter using some of the boiled and
cooled must and EC-1118. I pitched the yeast and within 12 hours, the lid
of my bucket showed a little swelling. 12 hours later I had slow bubbling.
I then moved my bucket into the cellar. I knew the cooler temperatures
would slow down fermentation, but they completely stopped the fermentation.
I checked the S.G. today and it hasn't changed. I moved the primary to
a warmer area (70 as opposed to 60-64) but I am not seeing any activity in
my airlock.
What do you guys think? Have I ruined it? Any recommendations on how
to proceed or what to try next?
Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
> I am finally getting back into beer/winemaking after a several year
> break. In the past I have made strawberry wine every summer from locally
> picked strawberries. I decided to do so again this year and picked 15
> pounds of strawberries to use for three gallons of must. Here is where
> things start to fall apart.
> As I said, it has been a few years since I made anything, so I am a
> little rusty. I mistakenly added 3 tsp of potassium metabisulphate vice 3
> tsp of a solution. I realized my mistake pretty quickly as my nose began to
> burn and my bright pink must turned a dull pink/gray.
> In an attempt to save my wine, I stirred vigorously over the next few
> days. I did it 6 times, each time 4-5 minutes. My thought was I could get
> some of the sulphites out in gaseous form. I did smell a lot of sulfur, but
> don't have any way to test the levels.
> While I was stirring, I made a starter using some of the boiled and
> cooled must and EC-1118. I pitched the yeast and within 12 hours, the lid
> of my bucket showed a little swelling. 12 hours later I had slow bubbling.
> I then moved my bucket into the cellar. I knew the cooler temperatures
> would slow down fermentation, but they completely stopped the fermentation.
> I checked the S.G. today and it hasn't changed. I moved the primary to
> a warmer area (70 as opposed to 60-64) but I am not seeing any activity in
> my airlock.
> What do you guys think? Have I ruined it? Any recommendations on how
> to proceed or what to try next?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bryan

I would say this is past saving. 1/4 tsp sulfite powder gives you about
80ppm for 3 gals, so at 3 tsps, you've got close to 1000ppm in there.
No amount of stirring will reduce this to normal levels, and your yeast
won't take off in such adverse condition. You could take out the
sulfite by chemical means using hydrogen peroxide, but I'd think at
these levels you'd end up with something unpalatable no matter what.

You could perhaps freeze it and then use in small amounts in making
smoothies or such to avoid complete waste.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"pp" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
>> I am finally getting back into beer/winemaking after a several year
>> break. In the past I have made strawberry wine every summer from locally
>> picked strawberries. I decided to do so again this year and picked 15
>> pounds of strawberries to use for three gallons of must. Here is where
>> things start to fall apart.
>> As I said, it has been a few years since I made anything, so I am a
>> little rusty. I mistakenly added 3 tsp of potassium metabisulphate vice
>> 3
>> tsp of a solution. I realized my mistake pretty quickly as my nose began
>> burn and my bright pink must turned a dull pink/gray.
>> In an attempt to save my wine, I stirred vigorously over the next few
>> days. I did it 6 times, each time 4-5 minutes. My thought was I could
>> get
>> some of the sulphites out in gaseous form. I did smell a lot of sulfur,
>> but
>> don't have any way to test the levels.
>> While I was stirring, I made a starter using some of the boiled and
>> cooled must and EC-1118. I pitched the yeast and within 12 hours, the
>> lid
>> of my bucket showed a little swelling. 12 hours later I had slow
>> bubbling.
>> I then moved my bucket into the cellar. I knew the cooler temperatures
>> would slow down fermentation, but they completely stopped the
>> fermentation.
>> I checked the S.G. today and it hasn't changed. I moved the primary
>> a warmer area (70 as opposed to 60-64) but I am not seeing any activity
>> in
>> my airlock.
>> What do you guys think? Have I ruined it? Any recommendations on
>> how
>> to proceed or what to try next?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Bryan

> I would say this is past saving. 1/4 tsp sulfite powder gives you about
> 80ppm for 3 gals, so at 3 tsps, you've got close to 1000ppm in there.
> No amount of stirring will reduce this to normal levels, and your yeast
> won't take off in such adverse condition. You could take out the
> sulfite by chemical means using hydrogen peroxide, but I'd think at
> these levels you'd end up with something unpalatable no matter what.
>
> You could perhaps freeze it and then use in small amounts in making
> smoothies or such to avoid complete waste.
>
> Pp

Oh no, I was hoping for some magical way to click my heels three times and
save my wine. But I expected your answer. Thanks for the response, I guess
you live and you learn. Good idea on freezing it. It certainly tastes
fine, just won't ferment. Thanks again.

Bryan

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
> "pp" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
>>> I am finally getting back into beer/winemaking after a several year
>>> break. In the past I have made strawberry wine every summer from locally
>>> picked strawberries. I decided to do so again this year and picked 15
>>> pounds of strawberries to use for three gallons of must. Here is where
>>> things start to fall apart.
>>> As I said, it has been a few years since I made anything, so I am a
>>> little rusty. I mistakenly added 3 tsp of potassium metabisulphate vice
>>> 3
>>> tsp of a solution. I realized my mistake pretty quickly as my nose began
>>> burn and my bright pink must turned a dull pink/gray.
>>> In an attempt to save my wine, I stirred vigorously over the next few
>>> days. I did it 6 times, each time 4-5 minutes. My thought was I could
>>> get
>>> some of the sulphites out in gaseous form. I did smell a lot of sulfur,
>>> but
>>> don't have any way to test the levels.
>>> While I was stirring, I made a starter using some of the boiled and
>>> cooled must and EC-1118. I pitched the yeast and within 12 hours, the
>>> lid
>>> of my bucket showed a little swelling. 12 hours later I had slow
>>> bubbling.
>>> I then moved my bucket into the cellar. I knew the cooler temperatures
>>> would slow down fermentation, but they completely stopped the
>>> fermentation.
>>> I checked the S.G. today and it hasn't changed. I moved the primary
>>> a warmer area (70 as opposed to 60-64) but I am not seeing any activity
>>> in
>>> my airlock.
>>> What do you guys think? Have I ruined it? Any recommendations on
>>> how
>>> to proceed or what to try next?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Bryan

>> I would say this is past saving. 1/4 tsp sulfite powder gives you about
>> 80ppm for 3 gals, so at 3 tsps, you've got close to 1000ppm in there.
>> No amount of stirring will reduce this to normal levels, and your yeast
>> won't take off in such adverse condition. You could take out the
>> sulfite by chemical means using hydrogen peroxide, but I'd think at
>> these levels you'd end up with something unpalatable no matter what.
>>
>> You could perhaps freeze it and then use in small amounts in making
>> smoothies or such to avoid complete waste.
>>
>> Pp
>>

> Oh no, I was hoping for some magical way to click my heels three times and
> save my wine. But I expected your answer. Thanks for the response, I guess
> you live and you learn. Good idea on freezing it. It certainly tastes
> fine, just won't ferment. Thanks again.
>
> Bryan

Bummer, I am doing my first gallon of Strawberry, and so far, I've got
it ok, I think. For yours - maybe if it tastes good... save it for
topping next time? or add vodka until you get the % you want, and drink
it gray. :*) ....or red coloring, vodka, and well, this is turning into
bad advice. smile. Never mind.

DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Good luck on your strawberry wine Dave. I made 3 gallons 3 years ago and
have a few left. It aged much better than I thought and still smells like
fresh strawberries! I have a year to knock the dust off my winemaking
before next year's batch of strawberries is ready!
Bryan
"Dave Allison" > wrote in message

> Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
>> "pp" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> I would say this is past saving. 1/4 tsp sulfite powder gives you about
>>> 80ppm for 3 gals, so at 3 tsps, you've got close to 1000ppm in there.
>>> No amount of stirring will reduce this to normal levels, and your yeast
>>> won't take off in such adverse condition. You could take out the
>>> sulfite by chemical means using hydrogen peroxide, but I'd think at
>>> these levels you'd end up with something unpalatable no matter what.
>>>
>>> You could perhaps freeze it and then use in small amounts in making
>>> smoothies or such to avoid complete waste.
>>>
>>> Pp
>>>

>> Oh no, I was hoping for some magical way to click my heels three times
>> and save my wine. But I expected your answer. Thanks for the response,
>> I guess you live and you learn. Good idea on freezing it. It certainly
>> tastes fine, just won't ferment. Thanks again.
>>
>> Bryan

> Bummer, I am doing my first gallon of Strawberry, and so far, I've got it
> ok, I think. For yours - maybe if it tastes good... save it for topping
> next time? or add vodka until you get the % you want, and drink it gray.
> :*) ....or red coloring, vodka, and well, this is turning into bad advice.
> smile. Never mind.
>
> DAve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
> "pp" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Bryan M. Everitt wrote:
>>
>>>I am finally getting back into beer/winemaking after a several year
>>>break. In the past I have made strawberry wine every summer from locally
>>>picked strawberries. I decided to do so again this year and picked 15
>>>pounds of strawberries to use for three gallons of must. Here is where
>>>things start to fall apart.
>>> As I said, it has been a few years since I made anything, so I am a
>>>little rusty. I mistakenly added 3 tsp of potassium metabisulphate vice
>>>3
>>>tsp of a solution. I realized my mistake pretty quickly as my nose began
>>>burn and my bright pink must turned a dull pink/gray.
>>> In an attempt to save my wine, I stirred vigorously over the next few
>>>days. I did it 6 times, each time 4-5 minutes. My thought was I could
>>>get
>>>some of the sulphites out in gaseous form. I did smell a lot of sulfur,
>>>but
>>>don't have any way to test the levels.
>>> While I was stirring, I made a starter using some of the boiled and
>>>cooled must and EC-1118. I pitched the yeast and within 12 hours, the
>>>lid
>>>of my bucket showed a little swelling. 12 hours later I had slow
>>>bubbling.
>>>I then moved my bucket into the cellar. I knew the cooler temperatures
>>>would slow down fermentation, but they completely stopped the
>>>fermentation.
>>> I checked the S.G. today and it hasn't changed. I moved the primary
>>>a warmer area (70 as opposed to 60-64) but I am not seeing any activity
>>>in
>>>my airlock.
>>> What do you guys think? Have I ruined it? Any recommendations on
>>>how
>>>to proceed or what to try next?
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Bryan

>>I would say this is past saving. 1/4 tsp sulfite powder gives you about
>>80ppm for 3 gals, so at 3 tsps, you've got close to 1000ppm in there.
>>No amount of stirring will reduce this to normal levels, and your yeast
>>won't take off in such adverse condition. You could take out the
>>sulfite by chemical means using hydrogen peroxide, but I'd think at
>>these levels you'd end up with something unpalatable no matter what.
>>
>>You could perhaps freeze it and then use in small amounts in making
>>smoothies or such to avoid complete waste.
>>
>>Pp
>>

> Oh no, I was hoping for some magical way to click my heels three times and
> save my wine. But I expected your answer. Thanks for the response, I guess
> you live and you learn. Good idea on freezing it. It certainly tastes
> fine, just won't ferment. Thanks again.
>
> Bryan

It might still make a decent strawberry jelly... i like wine jellies.
Gene

If wine drinkers start taking their likes and dislikes moreseriously, won't that serve to erode/redefine traditional wine traditions andvalues? [email protected] Wine 4 09-06-2009 12:55 PM
my wine wont start Paul Winemaking 15 25-01-2007 02:45 PM
experienced brewer, about to start wine making Scott Lindner Winemaking 13 28-02-2006 06:03 PM
If you want your own wine cellar but you're unsure how to start... [email protected] Wine 0 30-11-2005 04:48 PM
about to start blackberry wine!! Wayne P Winemaking 3 18-12-2003 10:27 PM