Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default 2 wines with promise

Hello ng:

Last fall was my 2nd season making wine. Racked everything yesterday
for the last time before long term bulk aging or bottling.

2 country wines really stood out. I suspect this is the reason for
their status as country wine legend, blackberry and elderberry.

This is my 2nd year at making blackberry and I am even more impressed
now that most of my wine is from grapes. It has such a unique color,
aroma and flavor that I am growing blackberries (Triple Crown) so it
can become part of the regular rotation without the yearly blood
letting. I must admit I'll miss the adventure and scars though. Used
15lbs of Himalayan berries and 1lb golden raisins for 3 gallons of
wine.

The 2nd is elderberry. This is my first year at elderberry wine and
it was so chewy and robust at this racking that I made everyone I
could find taste it. Wow!

With all I've read about the tanins and years of aging for elderberry
I thought it was a one time crack, just for fun. But no, it was
quiet palatable for a young wine. Less pucker factor than some of the
Cab I have on hand from last fall.

Since it promised it would irresistible this spring and the berries
are so available, it will have to be a regular as well. Used 6 lbs.
of S. glauca and 1lbs golden raisins for ~8 liters.

Take Care
Steve noobie
Oregon