Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default 4 Week wine kits

Can anyone tell me what is the optimum aging period for a 4 week wine
kit after it is made. (Red & White)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jim wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what is the optimum aging period for a 4 week wine
> kit after it is made. (Red & White)

Jim - It's pretty hard to give you any sort of specific answer, as
there are a lot of kits out there, and "optimum" is going to depend on
a lot of factors, including your own taste. In my experience, though,
whites are pretty drinkable after a month in the bottle, and reds after
maybe three months. These kits are designed to be drinkable pretty
quickly, so I don't think you should expect any noticeable improvements
after 6 months or so. The wine will change a bit over time (all wines
do), but won't necessarily improve. I've had a few bottles that have
made it to four years or more -- in most cases, they were past their
prime. Still drinkable, but showing their age. I'd recommend
consuming these within two years or so. So, I guess I'd put
"optimum" somewhere between 3 to 6 months on the low end, and two years
on the high end.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 6/10/2006 2:07 PM, Jim wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what is the optimum aging period for a 4 week wine
> kit after it is made. (Red & White)

Jim,

Kits vary, by style and by manufacturer. Winexpert doesn't have a
recommendation for their 4 week kit (that I could find), but their
product guide for one of the 8 week Selection Estate Series includes the
following advice regarding aging:

"Ageing: While tempting to drink young immediately on bottling, this
wine will
only truly begin to display its astonishingly powerful fi nish after one
year. Those
with the willpower to tuck a few bottles away will be rewarded by a
decade of liquid velvet and lush fruit."

And the generic instruction set for all of the 4 week wine kits (and the
8 week kits, the instructions are very generic) reads:

"Your wine will benefit greatly from extended ageing in the bottle. Try
to wait at least six months before you try your first sample—but a year
is better."

My experience with these kits suggests that, marketing hyperbole aside,
aging the kits nine or more months does yield a better finished product.
In fact, I believe that slowing the entire process down will result in
a better wine. I'd rather wait a few more weeks or months for the lees
to settle than rush to use a fining agent which may strip out more than
just the lees. Your mileage may vary. Do pay heed to the warning in
the instructions regarding extended aging, however:

"Winexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphite compared to
commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months, you
must add extra metabisulfite to prevent oxidation."

The same shop which sold you your wine kit should carry potassium
metabisulfite priced at a few dollars.

Cheers,
Ken

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Thank you very Ken and Doug for the information.

Wine Aroma Kits Kahuna Wine 4 01-07-2013 07:53 PM
high end red wine kits [email protected] Winemaking 11 11-03-2008 05:42 PM
Blending Wine From Kits JB Winemaking 4 01-09-2007 12:42 AM
Wine from kits Ronin Winemaking 14 03-11-2006 01:33 AM
wine kits.... Andy j. Winemaking 5 16-11-2003 05:35 PM