Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Wine fermentation stuck in carboy?

I started some grape juice wine on 5/1/06. The yeast was lalvin 1122 wetted
on 5/2/06. Starting S.G. was 1.125. Yes, were trying for a Mad Dog 20/20
style wine. We racked to a glass carboy on 5/8 and S.G. was 1.047. Now we
just racked tonight(6/8) and the S.G. is only 1.042! Is this stuck or what?
Should we wet some more 1122 and try to jump start this? or let it go
another month? This is only a gallon, but I would rather save than start
over.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You already have roughly 10% ABV and 1122 is only capable of roughly
14%. I would use K1V or EC1118 to restart it, they can go to 18%.
Next time figure out how much sugar you want eventually but start out
at 1.090; when it's almost done, add more sugar (or concentrate,
whatever); let it ferment, do it again and so on; feed it slowly.

I wouldn't have done that first rack, you probably threw out a lot of
good yeast and nutrient. Just a guess, I never make high alcohol
wines. I will be probably be making a sherry this year so will know
more then...

Joe

Bulletsnbrains wrote:
> I started some grape juice wine on 5/1/06. The yeast was lalvin 1122 wetted
> on 5/2/06. Starting S.G. was 1.125. Yes, were trying for a Mad Dog 20/20
> style wine. We racked to a glass carboy on 5/8 and S.G. was 1.047. Now we
> just racked tonight(6/8) and the S.G. is only 1.042! Is this stuck or what?
> Should we wet some more 1122 and try to jump start this? or let it go
> another month? This is only a gallon, but I would rather save than start
> over.
>
> Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Brian:

WHat's the temperature where the wine is?

Steve

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:40:35 GMT, "Bulletsnbrains"
> wrote:

>I started some grape juice wine on 5/1/06. The yeast was lalvin 1122 wetted
>on 5/2/06. Starting S.G. was 1.125. Yes, were trying for a Mad Dog 20/20
>style wine. We racked to a glass carboy on 5/8 and S.G. was 1.047. Now we
>just racked tonight(6/8) and the S.G. is only 1.042! Is this stuck or what?
>Should we wet some more 1122 and try to jump start this? or let it go
>another month? This is only a gallon, but I would rather save than start
>over.
>
>Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In a house without A/C... The windows are allways open so the house temp
varies from 70 to 90 right now. usually on the high side of this range most
of the day. The carboy is not in direct sunlight and only sees the most
light the latter part of the day, ie west side of house. I could chill it in
my Sub Zero wine cooler, but the max temp in there is 65 degrees.

Brian

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Brian:
>
> WHat's the temperature where the wine is?
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:40:35 GMT, "Bulletsnbrains"
> > wrote:
>
>>I started some grape juice wine on 5/1/06. The yeast was lalvin 1122
>>wetted
>>on 5/2/06. Starting S.G. was 1.125. Yes, were trying for a Mad Dog 20/20
>>style wine. We racked to a glass carboy on 5/8 and S.G. was 1.047. Now we
>>just racked tonight(6/8) and the S.G. is only 1.042! Is this stuck or
>>what?
>>Should we wet some more 1122 and try to jump start this? or let it go
>>another month? This is only a gallon, but I would rather save than start
>>over.
>>
>>Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Brian:

I was actually wondering if it was too cold, and the yeast was
dormant.

However now that you mention temp in the 90s, perhaps the yeast got
too hot and died. My notes (from Jack Keller's site) show a
temperature range for 1122 of 60-85F.

So maybe get some more, create a starter, and keep the temp lower.

Steve