Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default need auto-siphon help

I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process, so I
bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe coming
out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D. hose
will not fit.

So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in the
hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.

The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of 3/8"
hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose crammed
into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You have a vacuum lock on the carboy.

Maybe it would be easier to explain with a little science trick. Grab a tall
glass from the kitchen cupboard, Fill sink with water. Completely immerse
glass into water and lift glass by the bottom slowly out of the sink. Note
that the water stays in the glass till you reach the point that air can get
in.

The carboy needs air to displace the wine during a siphoning. Those bubbles
were because air was getting in through the loose tubing.

Brian

"Jeffrey Hallett" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process, so
> I bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe
> coming out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16"
> I.D. hose will not fit.
>
> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
> the hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>
> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of 3/8"
> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
> crammed into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce
> the bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
>
> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Why not just leave the bubbles be?

As long as the bubbles are not forming from air leaking into the
siphon, I would nto worry about it.

Why did you think the old siphon was not sanitary? The trick is to
fill the siphon up with metabisulfite solution, put it into the carboy
and start the siphon let the sulfite drain into a waste container,
when the siphon is full of wine stop and transfer it over to the clean
carboy.

Jeffrey Hallett wrote:
> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process, so I
> bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe coming
> out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D. hose
> will not fit.
>
> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in the
> hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>
> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of 3/8"
> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose crammed
> into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
> bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
>
> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Stick your 5/16" tubing in very hot water. Once it's softened it should fit
over the auto-siphon pipe.
Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Jeffrey Hallett" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process, so
> I bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe
> coming out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16"
> I.D. hose will not fit.
>
> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
> the hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>
> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of 3/8"
> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
> crammed into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce
> the bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
>
> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thank you, this worked perfectly. the smaller hose fit over the end of the
siphon and the bubbles were eliminated.

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Stick your 5/16" tubing in very hot water. Once it's softened it should
> fit over the auto-siphon pipe.
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Jeffrey Hallett" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process,
>> so I bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe
>> coming out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16"
>> I.D. hose will not fit.
>>
>> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
>> the hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>>
>> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of
>> 3/8" hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
>> crammed into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically
>> reduce the bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it
>> going.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The old siphon method was not sanitary because it involved me sucking on the
output side of the hose.

"Droopy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Why not just leave the bubbles be?
>
> As long as the bubbles are not forming from air leaking into the
> siphon, I would nto worry about it.
>
> Why did you think the old siphon was not sanitary? The trick is to
> fill the siphon up with metabisulfite solution, put it into the carboy
> and start the siphon let the sulfite drain into a waste container,
> when the siphon is full of wine stop and transfer it over to the clean
> carboy.
>

> Jeffrey Hallett wrote:
>> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process,
>> so I
>> bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe coming
>> out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D.
>> hose
>> will not fit.
>>
>> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
>> the
>> hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>>
>> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of
>> 3/8"
>> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
>> crammed
>> into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
>> bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jeff:

Is this the Fermtech auto siphon????

It come in two sizes. One needs 5/16" id and the other 7/16" id.

The hose should be a tight fit. I use 5x16" id x 7/16" od

Steve

On Sun, 14 May 2006 01:01:16 GMT, "Jeffrey Hallett"
> wrote:

>I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process, so I
>bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe coming
>out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D. hose
>will not fit.
>
>So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in the
>hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
>
>The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of 3/8"
>hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose crammed
>into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
>bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
>
>Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yeah, you do not have to do that. You fill the siphon up with
sanitizing solution, so that when you put it in the wine it is already
full of liquid. You do not need to suck on it at all. You drain out
the sanitizer into a waste container and then transfer the tubing over
into the clean carboy.

I am just posting that information for anyone else that may be starting
siphons by sucking on them, not specifically for you since you have
already solved your siphon problems.

Jeffrey Hallett wrote:
> The old siphon method was not sanitary because it involved me sucking on the
> output side of the hose.
>

> "Droopy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Why not just leave the bubbles be?
> >
> > As long as the bubbles are not forming from air leaking into the
> > siphon, I would nto worry about it.
> >
> > Why did you think the old siphon was not sanitary? The trick is to
> > fill the siphon up with metabisulfite solution, put it into the carboy
> > and start the siphon let the sulfite drain into a waste container,
> > when the siphon is full of wine stop and transfer it over to the clean
> > carboy.
> >

> > Jeffrey Hallett wrote:
> >> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process,
> >> so I
> >> bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe coming
> >> out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D.
> >> hose
> >> will not fit.
> >>
> >> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
> >> the
> >> hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
> >>
> >> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of
> >> 3/8"
> >> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
> >> crammed
> >> into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
> >> bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In general, microbes capable of living in your mouth can NOT survive in
wine, so I
assume your concern about "sanitation" is an aesthetic one.
Good luck with your new siphon.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

www.geocities.com/lumeisenman

"Jeffrey Hallett" > wrote in message
. com...
> The old siphon method was not sanitary because it involved me sucking on

the
> output side of the hose.
>

> "Droopy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Why not just leave the bubbles be?
> >
> > As long as the bubbles are not forming from air leaking into the
> > siphon, I would nto worry about it.
> >
> > Why did you think the old siphon was not sanitary? The trick is to
> > fill the siphon up with metabisulfite solution, put it into the carboy
> > and start the siphon let the sulfite drain into a waste container,
> > when the siphon is full of wine stop and transfer it over to the clean
> > carboy.
> >

> > Jeffrey Hallett wrote:
> >> I'm trying to make things a bit more sanitary in my winemaking process,
> >> so I
> >> bought myself an auto-siphon. A 3/8" I.D. hose fits over the pipe

coming
> >> out of the auto-siphon, a little loose for my taste, but a 5/16" I.D.
> >> hose
> >> will not fit.
> >>
> >> So, my issue is this: when in use, it seems like a lot of air stays in
> >> the
> >> hose and I can see bubbles all along the length.
> >>
> >> The solution I've tried so far is to just have a very short length of
> >> 3/8"
> >> hose at the end of the auto-siphon, with a long length of 5/16" hose
> >> crammed
> >> into the other end. When it works, it seems to drastically reduce the
> >> bubble problem, but I do seem to have trouble keeping it going.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yes, I suppose you could say so....with perhaps some bit of pressure from my
family with comments like "Ew, that's gross".

Although there are some other considerations as well. I had just been using
a tube and found that I had some trouble monitoring both ends - was the
output end in place not spilling all over the floor and was the input side
submerged enough, but not stiring up the sediment. With the new method, I'm
hoping to not have to monitor the input end quite as much.

"Lum Eisenman" > wrote in message
om...
> In general, microbes capable of living in your mouth can NOT survive in
> wine, so I
> assume your concern about "sanitation" is an aesthetic one.
> Good luck with your new siphon.
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA
>
> www.geocities.com/lumeisenman

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I understand.
I find it's easier to rack a 60 gallon barrel with a small pump than
rack a 5-gallon carboy by siphoning with a hose. It takes about the same
amount of time too.
I think you will enjoy your new winemaking tool.