Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default chocklet wine reciepe?

Hi,
I have heard of making wine from chocklet, but I want a reciepe before
I try it.
Can anyone help?
Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sean -
Maybe you've heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
If you have spent any time at all on this newsgroup, you should know
that the best source for this type of info on any sort of
non-traditional grape wines is Jack Keller's site. Jack doesn't appear
to list any recipes for chocolate wine; he does have several for coffee
wines (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request110.asp). He
recommends avoiding coffee with chocolate: "It simply tastes horrible
after fermentation."

This is an important point, and one that seems to surprise people
(although it shouldn't): Making wine out of something changes the
flavors. Wine made from grapes is not the same as grape juice with
added alcohol. Wine made from carrots does not taste like carrot juice
mixed with vodka. The same thing will apply to chocolate -- you could
do it, but it wouldn't taste like a Hershey bar with 12% alcohol. If
that's really what you're after, get yourself a bottle of vodka and a
can of chocolate syrup, and mix the two. Voila !

Otherwise, I think your best bet is to enjoy chocolate and wine
together (chocolate goes well with Port, or a really full-bodied red,
like a Syrah or a big Zinfandel), but skip the idea of trying to
ferment chocolate. Many things can make good wine. Some things just
don't.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

See my post under the Chocolate wine header dated 4/22.
Steve
"Doug" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sean -
> Maybe you've heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
> If you have spent any time at all on this newsgroup, you should know
> that the best source for this type of info on any sort of
> non-traditional grape wines is Jack Keller's site. Jack doesn't appear
> to list any recipes for chocolate wine; he does have several for coffee
> wines (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request110.asp). He
> recommends avoiding coffee with chocolate: "It simply tastes horrible
> after fermentation."
>
> This is an important point, and one that seems to surprise people
> (although it shouldn't): Making wine out of something changes the
> flavors. Wine made from grapes is not the same as grape juice with
> added alcohol. Wine made from carrots does not taste like carrot juice
> mixed with vodka. The same thing will apply to chocolate -- you could
> do it, but it wouldn't taste like a Hershey bar with 12% alcohol. If
> that's really what you're after, get yourself a bottle of vodka and a
> can of chocolate syrup, and mix the two. Voila !
>
> Otherwise, I think your best bet is to enjoy chocolate and wine
> together (chocolate goes well with Port, or a really full-bodied red,
> like a Syrah or a big Zinfandel), but skip the idea of trying to
> ferment chocolate. Many things can make good wine. Some things just
> don't.
>
> Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sean Cleary wrote:
> Hi,
> I have heard of making wine from chocklet, but I want a reciepe before
> I try it.
> Can anyone help?
> Sean

Sean, consider making a chocolate mead. A quick search with
rec.crafts.meadmaking on "chocolate mead" will net some results.

As I recall, most recommend making the mead first, then adding cocoa
powder, then racking it off at some shorter period, then giving it a
long, long, aging period. Another advocated adding Hersheys syrup to
finished mead, then aging.

I don't recall anyone advocating putting either cocoa powder or
Hersheys sypup in the ferement.

I recently stopped at a "bulk food" store where there was no bulk food.
Seemed to cater to those who reject conventionally grown food. They
did sell small 1.5 oz bottles of extract oils. Chocolate was one of
the flavors.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I really have noticed that some fermented products are quite different
from the original.
I am avoiding coconut, and maybe should lay off the peach based stuff.
And I was not going to waste that effort on something that others
either know or strongly suspect is not a good idea. I searched, found
tempting hints, but not direct evidence -- someone may have tried it,
but only rumors came to me.
So, I want to thank everyone that contributed.

Sean