Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default The heat is on!

We are at the start of a heat wave here. We're having taco salads for
dinner. I was lucky to find a small amount of ground beef (just enough for
one) at half off. I don't know why. I saw a man looking at odd sized
packages. Must have been the tail ends from the butcher counter. I usually
wind up buying too much ground beef just because that's the only way it
comes. Angela won't usually eat it any more. She has seasoned chicken
strips on hers. Precooked. Also some Mexican style sour cream. I don't
like the stuff. All sorts of raw veggies, black olives, cheese and a light
sprinkling of seasoned tortilla strips on the top. Very good and
refreshing!

Will be hotter still tomorrow and worse yet on Thu. Must find things to do
in air conditioned places. And I'll most likely be on restricted funds for
maybe a few weeks. My ATM/debit card expires at the end of the month. I
did not get the new one even though they said it was mailed to me and should
be here by now. I was told to wait one more day and if it doesn't come,
they will cancel the one I have and send me a new one with a new PIN number.
That doesn't make me too happy since this one isn't very old. It had to be
replaced when some guy tried to use my number online to buy a laptop.
Grrrr...

I do have an Olive Garden gift card that I got for my birthday. Although
that would never be my first choice of dining, I guess we can go there for
one meal. I know they have air conditioning.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We are at the start of a heat wave here. We're having taco salads for
> dinner. I was lucky to find a small amount of ground beef (just enough
> for one) at half off. I don't know why. I saw a man looking at odd sized
> packages. Must have been the tail ends from the butcher counter. I
> usually wind up buying too much ground beef just because that's the only
> way it comes. Angela won't usually eat it any more. She has seasoned
> chicken strips on hers. Precooked. Also some Mexican style sour cream.
> I don't like the stuff. All sorts of raw veggies, black olives, cheese
> and a light sprinkling of seasoned tortilla strips on the top. Very good
> and refreshing!
>
> Will be hotter still tomorrow and worse yet on Thu. Must find things to
> do in air conditioned places. And I'll most likely be on restricted funds
> for maybe a few weeks. My ATM/debit card expires at the end of the month.
> I did not get the new one even though they said it was mailed to me and
> should be here by now. I was told to wait one more day and if it doesn't
> come, they will cancel the one I have and send me a new one with a new PIN
> number. That doesn't make me too happy since this one isn't very old. It
> had to be replaced when some guy tried to use my number online to buy a
> laptop. Grrrr...
>
> I do have an Olive Garden gift card that I got for my birthday. Although
> that would never be my first choice of dining, I guess we can go there for
> one meal. I know they have air conditioning.

Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get under
the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot here, but
cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours doesn't last
too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get under
> the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot here, but
> cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours doesn't last
> too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
>> Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get under
>> the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot here,
>> but cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours doesn't
>> last too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

My mom had a 911 call last year during the heat. She never seems to feel
it. And she did not drink enough liquids. It's very frustrating because we
will tell her that it's hot and she'll say it's not. She tends to wear two
jackets, a lightweight one and a heavy one over it. Is constantly
chastising Angela for not wearing a jacket. She and I tend not to wear them
unless it's really cold. She does wear them to school. It's usually cold
in the mornings here.

While we were out today and trying to find AC, I saw elderly women wearing
long sleeved sweaters and jackets. I couldn't believe it!

We also saw some young guy with these hideous, huge white shorts on. The
long kind that almost fell to his ankles. And when I say "fell", I mean it.
Dude had gray underpants on. We saw the whole back of them. Apparently he
knew about it too. Saw him adjust them so they were down a bit further.
Now I am used to seeing this look with boxers underneath. But this guy had
teensy briefs on. Perhaps that was his way of air conditioning himself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
>> Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get under
>> the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot here,
>> but cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours doesn't
>> last too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

Yes, also infants.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jul 8, 12:54*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We also saw some young guy with these hideous, huge white shorts on. *The
> long kind that almost fell to his ankles. *And when I say "fell", I mean it.
> Dude had gray underpants on. *We saw the whole back of them. *Apparently he
> knew about it too. *Saw him adjust them so they were down a bit further..
> Now I am used to seeing this look with boxers underneath. *But this guy had
> teensy briefs on. *Perhaps that was his way of air conditioning himself..

That's the height of fashion for certain groups of young men here.
The extreme of this fashion consists of tight jeans with a heavy
leather belt. The jeans reach the top of the thighs and are held in
place with the belt, so as to expose the entire derrière. Accessories
include a long shirt that somewhat mitigates the effect. As you said,
boxers (never tighty whiteys) are de rigueur with this outfit.
Strolling about to display the full effect does seem to require that
the fashion victim keep one hand clutched on the pants at all times. I
gather the most desireable effect is that the pants appear to hang on
the genitalia like on a doorknob.

I try not to judge, remembering my youthful wardrobe of hot pants and
platform shoes ;-).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:54 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We also saw some young guy with these hideous, huge white shorts on. The
> long kind that almost fell to his ankles. And when I say "fell", I mean
> it.
> Dude had gray underpants on. We saw the whole back of them. Apparently he
> knew about it too. Saw him adjust them so they were down a bit further.
> Now I am used to seeing this look with boxers underneath. But this guy had
> teensy briefs on. Perhaps that was his way of air conditioning himself.

That's the height of fashion for certain groups of young men here.
The extreme of this fashion consists of tight jeans with a heavy
leather belt. The jeans reach the top of the thighs and are held in
place with the belt, so as to expose the entire derrière. Accessories
include a long shirt that somewhat mitigates the effect. As you said,
boxers (never tighty whiteys) are de rigueur with this outfit.
Strolling about to display the full effect does seem to require that
the fashion victim keep one hand clutched on the pants at all times. I
gather the most desireable effect is that the pants appear to hang on
the genitalia like on a doorknob.

I try not to judge, remembering my youthful wardrobe of hot pants and
platform shoes ;-).

---

Yikes! I thought that trend was over.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm glad I live in Florida where its nice and cool, 90 right now.
gary

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We are at the start of a heat wave here. We're having taco salads for
> dinner. I was lucky to find a small amount of ground beef (just enough
> for one) at half off. I don't know why. I saw a man looking at odd sized
> packages. Must have been the tail ends from the butcher counter. I
> usually wind up buying too much ground beef just because that's the only
> way it comes. Angela won't usually eat it any more. She has seasoned
> chicken strips on hers. Precooked. Also some Mexican style sour cream.
> I don't like the stuff. All sorts of raw veggies, black olives, cheese
> and a light sprinkling of seasoned tortilla strips on the top. Very good
> and refreshing!
>
> Will be hotter still tomorrow and worse yet on Thu. Must find things to
> do in air conditioned places. And I'll most likely be on restricted funds
> for maybe a few weeks. My ATM/debit card expires at the end of the month.
> I did not get the new one even though they said it was mailed to me and
> should be here by now. I was told to wait one more day and if it doesn't
> come, they will cancel the one I have and send me a new one with a new PIN
> number. That doesn't make me too happy since this one isn't very old. It
> had to be replaced when some guy tried to use my number online to buy a
> laptop. Grrrr...
>
> I do have an Olive Garden gift card that I got for my birthday. Although
> that would never be my first choice of dining, I guess we can go there for
> one meal. I know they have air conditioning.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and some choices that aren't bad, they have whole wheat linguini, and baked
egg plant parm, breadding is only issue there, but i don't remember it being
heavy... also a pork recipe with roasted pepers and shrooms with smokey
cheese that is a little better than average, and at the top of their food...
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We are at the start of a heat wave here. We're having taco salads for
> dinner. I was lucky to find a small amount of ground beef (just enough
> for one) at half off. I don't know why. I saw a man looking at odd sized
> packages. Must have been the tail ends from the butcher counter. I
> usually wind up buying too much ground beef just because that's the only
> way it comes. Angela won't usually eat it any more. She has seasoned
> chicken strips on hers. Precooked. Also some Mexican style sour cream.
> I don't like the stuff. All sorts of raw veggies, black olives, cheese
> and a light sprinkling of seasoned tortilla strips on the top. Very good
> and refreshing!
>
> Will be hotter still tomorrow and worse yet on Thu. Must find things to
> do in air conditioned places. And I'll most likely be on restricted funds
> for maybe a few weeks. My ATM/debit card expires at the end of the month.
> I did not get the new one even though they said it was mailed to me and
> should be here by now. I was told to wait one more day and if it doesn't
> come, they will cancel the one I have and send me a new one with a new PIN
> number. That doesn't make me too happy since this one isn't very old. It
> had to be replaced when some guy tried to use my number online to buy a
> laptop. Grrrr...
>
> I do have an Olive Garden gift card that I got for my birthday. Although
> that would never be my first choice of dining, I guess we can go there for
> one meal. I know they have air conditioning.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dh says if he wants to see man but crack he will call a plumber so it
will be worth it, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get
>>> under the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot
>>> here, but cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours
>>> doesn't last too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

>> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

> My mom had a 911 call last year during the heat. She never seems to feel
> it. And she did not drink enough liquids. It's very frustrating because
> we will tell her that it's hot and she'll say it's not. She tends to wear
> two jackets, a lightweight one and a heavy one over it. Is constantly
> chastising Angela for not wearing a jacket. She and I tend not to wear
> them unless it's really cold. She does wear them to school. It's usually
> cold in the mornings here.
>
> While we were out today and trying to find AC, I saw elderly women wearing
> long sleeved sweaters and jackets. I couldn't believe it!
>
> We also saw some young guy with these hideous, huge white shorts on. The
> long kind that almost fell to his ankles. And when I say "fell", I mean
> it. Dude had gray underpants on. We saw the whole back of them.
> Apparently he knew about it too. Saw him adjust them so they were down a
> bit further. Now I am used to seeing this look with boxers underneath.
> But this guy had teensy briefs on. Perhaps that was his way of air
> conditioning himself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lucky for me... i can't see it... there really is a short list of things its
just fine i can't see, Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:54 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We also saw some young guy with these hideous, huge white shorts on. The
> long kind that almost fell to his ankles. And when I say "fell", I mean
> it.
> Dude had gray underpants on. We saw the whole back of them. Apparently he
> knew about it too. Saw him adjust them so they were down a bit further.
> Now I am used to seeing this look with boxers underneath. But this guy had
> teensy briefs on. Perhaps that was his way of air conditioning himself.

That's the height of fashion for certain groups of young men here.
The extreme of this fashion consists of tight jeans with a heavy
leather belt. The jeans reach the top of the thighs and are held in
place with the belt, so as to expose the entire derrière. Accessories
include a long shirt that somewhat mitigates the effect. As you said,
boxers (never tighty whiteys) are de rigueur with this outfit.
Strolling about to display the full effect does seem to require that
the fashion victim keep one hand clutched on the pants at all times. I
gather the most desireable effect is that the pants appear to hang on
the genitalia like on a doorknob.

I try not to judge, remembering my youthful wardrobe of hot pants and
platform shoes ;-).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> and some choices that aren't bad, they have whole wheat linguini, and
> baked egg plant parm, breadding is only issue there, but i don't remember
> it being heavy... also a pork recipe with roasted pepers and shrooms with
> smokey cheese that is a little better than average, and at the top of
> their food...

The only thing I can have is the gluten free pasta. And essentially that's
all Angela can have too. There are a few meat items on the gluten free menu
but I know she will not eat the vegetables that come with them. Because of
my egg allergy, the regular pasta and anything breaded is out of the
question.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I know they have a website you can look at and they are pretty good about
subbstituting, i don't care for them but MIL loves them so i eat there more
than i care to, she eats an unusal diet so she gets stuff substituted all
the time, they have broccoli and asparagus that if angela eats they will sub
in, not sure if you can eat the salad as it has parm cheese on it i think,
but i know you can get it without the dressing and just get vinigar and oil
or italian on the side, the pork chops are decent, i can't give an opinion
on the beef as it is something i NEVER, except a burger eat out as my father
raises cattle and i know if i order it i will NOT eat it, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> and some choices that aren't bad, they have whole wheat linguini, and
>> baked egg plant parm, breadding is only issue there, but i don't remember
>> it being heavy... also a pork recipe with roasted pepers and shrooms with
>> smokey cheese that is a little better than average, and at the top of
>> their food...

> The only thing I can have is the gluten free pasta. And essentially
> that's all Angela can have too. There are a few meat items on the gluten
> free menu but I know she will not eat the vegetables that come with them.
> Because of my egg allergy, the regular pasta and anything breaded is out
> of the question.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I know they have a website you can look at and they are pretty good about
>subbstituting, i don't care for them but MIL loves them so i eat there more
>than i care to, she eats an unusal diet so she gets stuff substituted all
>the time, they have broccoli and asparagus that if angela eats they will
>sub in, not sure if you can eat the salad as it has parm cheese on it i
>think, but i know you can get it without the dressing and just get vinigar
>and oil or italian on the side, the pork chops are decent, i can't give an
>opinion on the beef as it is something i NEVER, except a burger eat out as
>my father raises cattle and i know if i order it i will NOT eat it, Lee

She won't eat broccoli or asparagus and neither will/can I. I can't eat any
of the meat. She loves chicken but doesn't like any of the other stuff that
it comes with. I won't pay for a full meal when all she is getting is the
chicken. So we just eat the pasta. Amazingly it works well for me most of
the time. Not that we eat it often. BG was just fine yesterday after
eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what did you order? Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>I know they have a website you can look at and they are pretty good about
>>subbstituting, i don't care for them but MIL loves them so i eat there
>>more than i care to, she eats an unusal diet so she gets stuff substituted
>>all the time, they have broccoli and asparagus that if angela eats they
>>will sub in, not sure if you can eat the salad as it has parm cheese on it
>>i think, but i know you can get it without the dressing and just get
>>vinigar and oil or italian on the side, the pork chops are decent, i can't
>>give an opinion on the beef as it is something i NEVER, except a burger
>>eat out as my father raises cattle and i know if i order it i will NOT eat
>>it, Lee

> She won't eat broccoli or asparagus and neither will/can I. I can't eat
> any of the meat. She loves chicken but doesn't like any of the other
> stuff that it comes with. I won't pay for a full meal when all she is
> getting is the chicken. So we just eat the pasta. Amazingly it works
> well for me most of the time. Not that we eat it often. BG was just fine
> yesterday after eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> what did you order? Lee

The gluten free pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Well, look on the bright side Julie, at least you won't have to get
>>> under the covers to keep warm like you did on the 4th. It has been hot
>>> here, but cooling trend started will only be about 90 today. Hope yours
>>> doesn't last too long, heard it's pretty miserable on the East Coast.

>> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

> Yes, also infants.
>
> Cheri

I remember wetting cradle sheets and placing them over the edge of my babies
cots with a fan behind them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

>> Yes, also infants.
>>
>> Cheri

> I remember wetting cradle sheets and placing them over the edge of my
> babies cots with a fan behind them.

Yes, when mine were babies, born in summer, they always developed heat rash
and were miserable. No air conditioning.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

haven't ordered that but iirc it is what the MIL gets and she says its not
bad, next time we go i will have to try it, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> what did you order? Lee

> The gluten free pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> haven't ordered that but iirc it is what the MIL gets and she says its not
> bad, next time we go i will have to try it, Lee

It's not bad. But it's also not good. Just kind of makes me mad to pay $40
for two plates of pasta and drinks (that's including tip) when we could have
it at home for $5 or so...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is one of my biggest issues with eating out now, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> haven't ordered that but iirc it is what the MIL gets and she says its
>> not bad, next time we go i will have to try it, Lee

> It's not bad. But it's also not good. Just kind of makes me mad to pay
> $40 for two plates of pasta and drinks (that's including tip) when we
> could have it at home for $5 or so...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My babies and toddlers only wore diapers around the house ...when we were
stationed where it was hot. We would give them wet washcloths to play with.
When my first one was born we only had swamp boxes ...and when the monsoons
and humidity showed up the swamp boxes didn't work. Now we have AC a pool
and no babies except Grandbabies

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> I always feel sorry for the elderly and sick in extreme temps.

>> Yes, also infants.
>>
>> Cheri

> I remember wetting cradle sheets and placing them over the edge of my
> babies cots with a fan behind them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this is one of my biggest issues with eating out now, Lee

Yeah. We had dinner at Taco Time tonight. It's fast food but good for you
fast food. Granted there are some bad choices there, but we didn't have
those. More expensive than some fast food but much less than a regular
restaurant. And we each got what we wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> My babies and toddlers only wore diapers around the house ...when we were
> stationed where it was hot. We would give them wet washcloths to play
> with. When my first one was born we only had swamp boxes ...and when the
> monsoons and humidity showed up the swamp boxes didn't work. Now we have
> AC a pool and no babies except Grandbabies

When we lived on Cape Cod, Angela wore only a diaper and a T-shirt. She was
born on July 27 and we lived there for about 3 months. It was still hot
there. We did have a window AC unit in the small bedroom so she and I
mostly stayed in there.

Then we moved to Alameda, CA where it was mostly 70 year round. I put her
in dresses and she mostly wore those. She did have some pants and tops but
I preferred the dresses for potty training.

By the time she got into school, she refused to wear dresses, which was okay
because the school didn't allow them unless they wore leggings or shorts
underneath.

Then two days ago she asked me for a dress! She bought one at Wal-Mart.
It's a simple summer knit that you would have to wear a shirt underneath. I
hope she wears it. She is wearing shorts these days. She had refused to
wear those prior.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we don't have those here, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this is one of my biggest issues with eating out now, Lee

> Yeah. We had dinner at Taco Time tonight. It's fast food but good for
> you fast food. Granted there are some bad choices there, but we didn't
> have those. More expensive than some fast food but much less than a
> regular restaurant. And we each got what we wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have both a neice and a nephew born on that day, no kids of my own,
gratefully, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My babies and toddlers only wore diapers around the house ...when we were
>> stationed where it was hot. We would give them wet washcloths to play
>> with. When my first one was born we only had swamp boxes ...and when the
>> monsoons and humidity showed up the swamp boxes didn't work. Now we have
>> AC a pool and no babies except Grandbabies

> When we lived on Cape Cod, Angela wore only a diaper and a T-shirt. She
> was born on July 27 and we lived there for about 3 months. It was still
> hot there. We did have a window AC unit in the small bedroom so she and I
> mostly stayed in there.
>
> Then we moved to Alameda, CA where it was mostly 70 year round. I put her
> in dresses and she mostly wore those. She did have some pants and tops
> but I preferred the dresses for potty training.
>
> By the time she got into school, she refused to wear dresses, which was
> okay because the school didn't allow them unless they wore leggings or
> shorts underneath.
>
> Then two days ago she asked me for a dress! She bought one at Wal-Mart.
> It's a simple summer knit that you would have to wear a shirt underneath.
> I hope she wears it. She is wearing shorts these days. She had refused
> to wear those prior.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> we don't have those here, Lee

Yeah. They're local.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I have both a neice and a nephew born on that day, no kids of my own,
>gratefully, Lee

Really? Cool.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes neice is 22 or will be belongs to older brother, nephew will be 12
belongs to my sister, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>I have both a neice and a nephew born on that day, no kids of my own,
>>gratefully, Lee

> Really? Cool.

Getting the 'heat' out........ Kalmia General Cooking 5 29-10-2012 10:04 PM
You want some heat????? PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 6 05-07-2008 02:46 PM
Got heat? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 45 11-06-2008 01:48 AM
How to make "Heat Retentive Plates" and "Heat Retentive Coffee Mugs" Juan General Cooking 2 04-10-2006 06:40 AM
Heat Shrink Adaptor for Heat Gun David D. Winemaking 9 07-09-2005 06:36 PM