Steve Margita

Default siphoning during bottling

Can anyone recommend an easy way to start the siphone when bottling wine? I
have the Auto-Siphone (1/2 inch) that I use when I rack my wine back and
forth, but that is too much volume at once when bottling. I know Fermtech
makes an auto-siphon for 3/8 inch tubing as well.

I have a bottle filler that touches the bottom of the bottle and opens up
and stops filling when I lift the tube up, but I always have trouble
starting the siphon when bottling.

So, first, can I use the Auto-Siphon (3/8") when bottling? How well does it
work?

And/Or can anyone recommend another type of bottle filler (relatively
inexpensive) that makes siphoning and filling fairly simple?

Thanks,
-Steve

Steve Margita > wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an easy way to start the siphone when bottling wine? I
> have the Auto-Siphone (1/2 inch) that I use when I rack my wine back and
> forth, but that is too much volume at once when bottling. I know Fermtech
> makes an auto-siphon for 3/8 inch tubing as well.

> I have a bottle filler that touches the bottom of the bottle and opens up
> and stops filling when I lift the tube up, but I always have trouble
> starting the siphon when bottling.

Keep that $2.50 spring-loaded filler -- simple and wonderful.

Cap the carboy with one of those two-holed caps that a racking cane
fits perfectly through.

Insert racking cane through first hole.

Place spring-filler in first bottle, and press and hold while blowing
through the second hole. Siphon pressure should now be established.

The spring-loaded filler maintains the vacuum for the entire bottling
process.

-- WB

anaconda

>Can anyone recommend an easy way to start the siphone when bottling wine?

Fill tube with water (dunk in a clean basin or bucket). Keeping bottle
filler closed, place tube in carboy. Use bottle filler to empty the water
in the tube until the wine comes through; now fill your bottles.

Marc

Hi folks
Newbie question regarding siphon. Is an auto-siphon just a commodity when
bottling large amount of wine, or for a clean job or is there an actual risk
of contamination by using one's mouth (considering a healthy mouth) to start
the flow ? I only make batches ranging between 1 gallon and 6 gallons and
have always used my mouth to start the siphon process. Only have to do it
once for the whole operation.
Thanks
Marc

> a écrit dans le message de
> Steve Margita > wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend an easy way to start the siphone when bottling

wine? I
> > have the Auto-Siphone (1/2 inch) that I use when I rack my wine back and
> > forth, but that is too much volume at once when bottling. I know

Fermtech
> > makes an auto-siphon for 3/8 inch tubing as well.

> > I have a bottle filler that touches the bottom of the bottle and opens

up
> > and stops filling when I lift the tube up, but I always have trouble
> > starting the siphon when bottling.

> Keep that $2.50 spring-loaded filler -- simple and wonderful.
>
> Cap the carboy with one of those two-holed caps that a racking cane
> fits perfectly through.
>
> Insert racking cane through first hole.
>
> Place spring-filler in first bottle, and press and hold while blowing
> through the second hole. Siphon pressure should now be established.
>
> The spring-loaded filler maintains the vacuum for the entire bottling
> process.
>
> -- WB

Dar V

Marc,
I've always started my siphons with my mouth; I've never had a problem. As
with anything, you get better at siphoning the more you do it, whether you
use your mouth or one of those fancy gadgets - lol.
Darlene

"Marc" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi folks
> Newbie question regarding siphon. Is an auto-siphon just a commodity when
> bottling large amount of wine, or for a clean job or is there an actual
> risk
> of contamination by using one's mouth (considering a healthy mouth) to
> start
> the flow ? I only make batches ranging between 1 gallon and 6 gallons and
> have always used my mouth to start the siphon process. Only have to do it
> once for the whole operation.
> Thanks
> Marc
>
> > a écrit dans le message de
>> Steve Margita > wrote:
>> > Can anyone recommend an easy way to start the siphone when bottling

> wine? I
>> > have the Auto-Siphone (1/2 inch) that I use when I rack my wine back
>> > and
>> > forth, but that is too much volume at once when bottling. I know

> Fermtech
>> > makes an auto-siphon for 3/8 inch tubing as well.

>> > I have a bottle filler that touches the bottom of the bottle and opens

> up
>> > and stops filling when I lift the tube up, but I always have trouble
>> > starting the siphon when bottling.

>> Keep that $2.50 spring-loaded filler -- simple and wonderful.
>>
>> Cap the carboy with one of those two-holed caps that a racking cane
>> fits perfectly through.
>>
>> Insert racking cane through first hole.
>>
>> Place spring-filler in first bottle, and press and hold while blowing
>> through the second hole. Siphon pressure should now be established.
>>
>> The spring-loaded filler maintains the vacuum for the entire bottling
>> process.
>>
>> -- WB

Robert Lewis

I too start it with my mouth..... I just don't let anyone see me do it.
:-)
I figure, what the heck.... It's got alcohol to kill the germs.

RTL

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Marc,
> I've always started my siphons with my mouth; I've never had a problem. As
> with anything, you get better at siphoning the more you do it, whether you
> use your mouth or one of those fancy gadgets - lol.
> Darlene

Ray Calvert

I think most of us use our mouth to start the siphon. As stated, it has
alcohol. My siphon has a clip that can turn on and off the flow. I draw
the wine into the tube with my mouth without having the bottling wand on.
Then I clip the tube so the wine stays in and I attach the bottling wand.
When I first put it in a bottle it will blow the little air that is left
out.

Really, especially when bottling, there is nothing unsanitary about using
your mouth. You are drawing air, not blowing, so nothing gets in the tube.
Then you are attaching the wand so the part of the tube that your mouth
touches the outside of does not go in the bottle. But then I use my mouth
when racking and it does go in the bottle so that is not much of an
argument! ;o)

Ray

hlink.net...